Why become a member? ×

So Sadowsky...

nash

Hi

I own both NYC and Metro basses

I can honestly say that they're of equal build/sound quality etc

I know my two basses really well so in a blind test i could tell the difference between them (not a quality thing at all)
but i would find it difficult to tell the difference between other Sadowsky's in a blind test as each and every bass (metro or NYC) will be slightly different anyway.

If you want a fairly standard bass, in standard colours then a Metro would be a great option! especially second hand (around £1000)

:)

Joe we should set up some blind tests with a bunch of Sadowsky's and see what happens :rolleyes:

[quote name='geoffbassist' post='915862' date='Aug 5 2010, 12:47 PM']I do love my metro. Don't be put off by the 'made in japan' label. I wouldn't change mine.[/quote]

IMO The Japanese have built and still build very fine instruments!

They're attention to detail is why Roger Sadowsky set up his shop there in the first place!

Roger says himself that the quality of the NYC and Metro lines are the same

:)

I've only ever played one Metro Sadowsky and didn't like it at all. Not in the same league as the NYC's I've owned.

Could have been a 'one-off' though - after all, it was in Denmark Street & they are notorious for having an ability to end up with 'Friday' basses. . .

One of the most dissapointing basses I ever played was a NYC. Long time ago so a bit sketchy but it sounded much better than it looked.

For me to have bought it back then, I would have had to change the finish..or have it redone, skim the neck..which is really a matter of personal pref, IMV.. and took out a huge loan..so I got the guy to make me one instead as he promised he would make me a better bass than was in the shop at that time. He did.

Soundwise, no problem at all, but I would have needed to play around with the set-up..a lot..but finish quality I conclude that this was not the norm..although the sell price indicated that it was top dollar..so..??????

Are the jap ones worth £2000 new..? that would be entirely upto you.

Because he now outlets them...the basses now have a retailers mark-up so I would put a second hand VG MIJ at around £1200.

Asr as the general quality goes, is there £1000 between them? ...hmmmm..!!! but is the cache worth it..??

I do think the design and overall look of them..the hardest part to get right, but the least critical, IMV... is very good.

Just my thinking.

I still want to find a Sadowsky that sounds more vintage. They are quite polite in their tone, but obviously by the popularity, this is working for them.

I would buy one direct if I were you, or second hand. The Metros are VERY expensive for what they are, (as mentioned above the retailer is taking a large chunk).

Very high quality and great QC.

I dont see how they can be deemed as affordable now, which was the idea in the first place. £1200-1300 should be the price bracket, not nearly £2000.

Worst thing, to me, is the massssssive battery compartment/electronics compartment on the back. Are these on the NYC's as well? For the price bracket, it should be neater or disguised a little better.

Sadowsky's sound like Sadowsky's! They're not trying to sound like a fender or any other bass and that sound is not for everyone.

I'll admit, in isolation they aren't the best sounding bass, but play one live with a band and you'll soon see / hear the benefits

The main reason they are so expensive is the exchange rate

My NYC cost $4050 two years ago when the exhange rate was just over $2 - £1 (cost me just over £2000) the same bass today would cost me £700 - £800 more which i simply could not afford!

Unfortunately this also means that the metro's price increases by a similar percentage and buying direct hardly makes a difference once you include shipping ($200) and import duty (15%??? I cant remember)

I must admit i wouldnt buy a metro for their current new price but i also wouldnt buy and NYC for nearly £3000 either! I was lucky and bought at a good time :)

Just a thought on sound.......asking an active bass to sound more vintage is like asking a passive p bass to sound like a modulus, its not gonna happen so i guess people either like em or they dont :rolleyes:

I think the AC's (and mayeb Nordy) are more well known for having that vintage vibe. I dont mean full on vintage, just more 'grunt'. I know what you mean about sounding good in the mix but I have to be happy with both a mix sound and the tone on its own (to an extent, obviously).

Some active basses Ive heard do get close to a vintage sound but just with that extra ommph (like the new John East P circuit), and thats what Id be looking for. To be honest, a good old passive bass with the Tone Hammer is just as good for me.

If I had serious cash now, id be looking at an Alleva or a Nordy. Something sets them apart from the crowd, especially the Nordy basses. Still not 100% on the AC headstock but Id get used to it. If I didnt get them id ask Overwater or Sei to make me an amazing passive Jazz with a subtle EQ.

I do know why you like them though, dont get me wrong. Lovely looking instruments.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='916190' date='Aug 5 2010, 05:08 PM']Sadowsky's sound like Sadowsky's! They're not trying to sound like a fender or any other bass and that sound is not for everyone.[/quote]

Exactly!
Some people doesn't seem to understand that and always come back to the old "...but a Fender sounds better and they are half the price".
A Sadowsky is a Sadowsky, not a Fender, and it sounds like a Sadowsky, if you like it or not, that's a different matter.

I own both, Fender and Sadowsky and I like them both for different reasons.

[quote name='PauBass' post='916240' date='Aug 5 2010, 06:00 PM']Exactly!
Some people doesn't seem to understand that and always come back to the old "...but a Fender sounds better and they are half the price".
A Sadowsky is a Sadowsky, not a Fender, and it sounds like a Sadowsky, if you like it or not, that's a different matter.

I own both, Fender and Sadowsky and I like them both for different reasons.[/quote]

Well said!!!

I must agree..and Sadowsky are by no means alone in this...that a HUGE plastic cover for the elec department is
a crap way of doing thing, IMV.

The REALLY does cheapen the whole thing, IMO.

I can just about go for plastic batt compartments for a quick exchange, if nothing else, still look tacky though ...but these big plastic covers......WTF...!!!!!!

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' date='Aug 5 2010, 05:08 PM' post='916190']

I'll admit, in isolation they aren't the best sounding bass, but play one live with a band and you'll soon see / hear the benefits

There could be something in that. I went to see a friend of mine playing his at a gig recently and, as he uses a wireless, he walked out into the audience, took it off and threw the strap over my head. He had been complaining earlier how he wasn't happy with the tone, regardless of how he set the controls or which combination of the pickups he used. Have to admit, it sounded great to me. When i started playing it I was immediately struck by the great neck, lovely low action and how balanced the sound was across all 4 strings.

I was so struck by it that I went to try one in a shop a few days later and was really disappointed with it. I struggled with the tone the same as my mate. After that there would be no way I would pay nearly 2 grand for one. There are so many other basses in that price bracket to try.

Despite being a total J bass nut (I only play J's at the moment). I have never enjoyed playing Sadowsky basses. Is it that the neck profile is more chunky or they've got some P bass in their tone? Are they designed to sound scooped? I'm always keen to try one when I get the opportunity but they just don't work for me.

Odd! I would like to try a good one at some point and suss it all out. I should probably go to a bass bash...

C

I have been playing a metro jazz for around 8 months. Build quality is fantastic and it has what a consider to be one of the best preamps about.

I don't think that it will ever match the feel of my 78 p 'bass or obtain a vintage vibe in terms of looks or sounds, but I know that the Sadowsky will hold its tuning during a gig and will always cut through a mix with a minimal amount of eq on the bass or the amp. It just 'works' for the lack of any other word, which is great for gigging or recording.

I understand those that consider them to be a bit 'sterile', but I think that they are basses designed to be heard in the context of a band. I have found that mine just comes to life in a gig or rehearsal situation.

I think that the price that they are at now is a bit much, but saying that I think they are superior in terms of pre amp than the Fender Deluxe basses. Though when I see a Sandberg jazz go for around a £1000, the metro series starts to look a bit overpriced. But only a Sadowsky sounds like a Sadowsky.

However I find the finish on the maple fingerbourds on the metros and nycs (excluding birdseye etc) are just very plain and not very inspiring looking in my opinion. I still bought a maple fingerboard one because it plays so well.