Why become a member? ×

Heavy Metal bass tones

Jam

I'm in a metal band and after going to Sonisphere this weekend and hearing great tones I'm wondering if anyone here had any advice.

I have 2 "main" basses, a Fender Aerodyne Jazz and a Status S2. The Status sounds great, but a bit too "bright" for metal, and I've experimented with the fender but as my guitarist insists on downtuning the strings tend to rattle which I don't like.

I was thinking perhaps raising the action on the Fender and putting some heavier strings on would help..Any thoughts?

Rammstein were astounding! I've seen them live before and they never fail to disappoint.

I don't use pedals, and the amp I use at band practice is this big old Laney, similar to the one I use at home. I'm buying a Peavey 115 from a friend which is better than my current one.

The Jazz has a nice tone but gets really clanky and rattly when it's down low, which is why I thought perhaps raising the action/heavier strings would be better!

you could just do what i did and by a 5 string! that way if the Guitard wants to down tune you dont have to because you have the extra low end already, and i can vouch for peavey amps and there tone thats what i use and it lets me sit in the mix and cut through when i need to :)
good luck with everything though...

p.s GET A 5 STRING! :lol: :rolleyes:

Edit: for epic fail of punctuation and typo's :lol:

Edited by teen t-shirt

[quote name='teen t-shirt' post='913424' date='Aug 3 2010, 01:15 AM']you could just do what i did and by a 5 string! that way if the Guitard wants to down tune you dont have to because you have the extra low end already, and i can vouch for peavey amps and there tone thats what i use and it lets me sit in the mix and cut through when i need to :)
good luck with everything though...

p.s GET A 5 STRING! :lol: :rolleyes:

Edit: for epic fail of punctuation and typo's :lol:[/quote]
I had an Aerdoyne Jazz, put Rotosound roundwound heavies (50 - 100) on it, a Badass Bridge, and had a Seymour Duncan Hot Stack Jazz pickup put in it. Was instant Duff McKagan sound (if you like, which I do). These changes certainly beefed it up no end.

well, before you go about rebuilding your bass or buying new one... try a few pedals. I'd guess your Fender gives you enough warm bass to be getting on with.

Try the Big Muff Bass pedal, it'll give you a little distortion or crunch, as much or little as you require. Just a touch is enough for a little flavour.

I use thicker strings (Bass Boomers Nickel Plated 50-115 Heavy) on a Geddy Lee and we tune down to C# (and drop B ). Pick ups i haven't fiddled with.

I guess amplification is a factor, and you get what you pay for but I'd try pedals first. depends what you want, massive beef, or a little bit of crunch. I have an Orange Terror Bass head and a Barefaced Compact cab, for portability, they're plenty loud for me and my slow n heavy brand of HM :)

Edited by Chest Rockwell

Bear in mind you've been listening to professional players with a bigger budget than you, it's still easily done though. I played rock in a band years ago with a Peavey combo & a Fender. The Sansamp Bass Driver would be good & heavier strings do thicken up the low end. It's also a question of listening to what other players do - it doesn't have to just be 16ths & you can create light and dark by not playing

[quote name='Lozz196' post='913458' date='Aug 3 2010, 07:47 AM']put Rotosound roundwound heavies (50 - 100) on it[/quote]

Is this a typo? That's a standard gauge at the heavy end... I'm playing alt.folk based stuff with 55-110!

+1 for the Big Muff - nice bit of distortion. Great for the sort of music I play, and has enough capacity for fiddling to allow some flexibility.

There are a great many things you could try - change of strings; pick-ups; settings; etc.

Like Foxen suggested, post some examples and I'm sure we can diagnose between us all :)

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='914954' date='Aug 4 2010, 02:06 PM']I'm really surprised that the S2 doesn't do it - unless you're after a classic rock/NWOBHM era type of metal sound p'raps?[/quote]

Ah the strings I have on the S2 are quite thin, and the action's low so when it's downtuned it sounds clacky. The fender with the new, much heavier strings plays beautifully even when downtuned, no rattle or anything.

Is there much point caring about a heavy metal bass tone? In most cases we're drowned out by the 'wall of death'... sorry.. 'noise' produced by 2 guitarists fretw**king all over the place and blasting people's eardrums. lol

PS: I'm joking :) +1 on the heavier gauge strings,getting a 5er and pedals tho. Might want to look at getting a 1x15 somewhere in your setup too to drive the bottom end and compete with the downtuned guitars.

Edited by Sarah5string

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='915438' date='Aug 4 2010, 10:27 PM']Is there much point caring about a heavy metal bass tone? In most cases we're drowned out by the 'wall of death'... sorry.. 'noise' produced by 2 guitarists fretw**king all over the place and blasting people's eardrums. lol

PS: I'm joking :) +1 on the heavier gauge strings,getting a 5er and pedals tho. Might want to look at getting a 1x15 somewhere in your setup too to drive the bottom end and compete with the downtuned guitars.[/quote]

Hahaha I'm pretty lucky with the guitarist, he's loud but there's only one of them! Gives me a lot of room to manoeuvre and do my own thing, but he likes to downtune. I have a boss something or other pedal with lots of effects built in, perhaps I'll drag it out and have an experiment.

My band's sort of thrash/power metal, but I'd love a bass tone like Billy Gould!

Billy Gould, straight from Wiki:-

"For most of Faith No More's career, he used a Zon bass, but started with an Aria in Faith No More's early days. In the music video for Evidence[2], he can be seen with a Fender Jazz. He began with Peavey amplifiers, then moved to Ampeg amplifiers. He is known for employing a wide variety of playing styles."

+1 for big fat strings, high output pickups and a dist. pedal or something to give you a bit of extra growl.

try and find a video of rob trujillo from metallicas studio tone - ampeg for bass, mesa for treble -

basically fat strings, emg pups and distorted highs! everyones a winner! lol

highly recommend sansamp stuff too, plus my ampeg 115 is awesome - avoid most big name stuff, it just sounds bland (ashdown, trace etc)

just thought about it, i've backed up everything thats been said already and ust added another name, sorry!

[quote name='Jam' post='915457' date='Aug 4 2010, 10:45 PM']I have a boss something or other pedal with lots of effects built in, perhaps I'll drag it out and have an experiment.[/quote]

Might find a multi fx dissapears the real bottom, so it might sound great alone then vanish inder everything else. Big muff cab be the same, they have a mid scoop that can cause difficulties.

With just one guitarist, that is a licence to multi-amp.