Why become a member? ×

Stanley at Ronnie's

4 Strings

My mind was expanded when I saw Victor Wooten at the Digital Village thing, what a musician, what timing and what a fella.

I have always thought Stanley Clarke to be the 'master' though. Perhaps the best electric bass player ever.

Having seen him play with his band of youngsters at Ronnie Scotts last week I realise he's not on the same planet as the rest of us, it was, I think, one of the strongest and moving musical experience I have ever had.

I would have been disappointed if he played only the first third of the set on electric bass and the rest with his upright, however much I enjoy the sound of an upright and watching it being played well. This is exactly what he did and I am blown away. He is an absolute master of that instrument, I don't just mean in terms of technique, speed (even slapping!) but so musical, such feeling and beauty. It was truly wonderful.

As an aside, his right hand and fingers are incredibly strong, even thumping the strings he makes it look like a graceful tickling of the the strings.

Had to tell someone!

I was at the last show on Friday. I was always a huge Stanley fan (one of my greatest bass heroes) but Friday was unbelievable. It was probably one of the 2 or 3 best gigs I've ever been to; the band was incredible and Stan played out of his skin. My favourite live bass performance ever by a long way, and that really is saying something.

Never been a fan of Stanley Clarke, although his contribution to electric bass I understand is sizeable. Sidestepping the usual 'who's the best of all time' argument (I would still argue that Jamerson was, and was definitely the most influential), he's a great player with serious stamina and musicality.

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='901473' date='Jul 21 2010, 11:46 PM']Never been a fan of Stanley Clarke, although his contribution to electric bass I understand is sizeable. Sidestepping the usual 'who's the best of all time' argument (I would still argue that Jamerson was, and was definitely the most influential), he's a great player with serious stamina and musicality.[/quote]

I used to feel the same way about him - I never really dug him past his School Days album - wasn't a fan of the the Clarke/George Duke stuff at all - BUT having got into his last couple of albums and then seen him at Ronnie's last week I can honestly say I'm now a fan and he is without doubt playing at the very top of his game. I can only second all the positive comments here about the Ronnie's gig - a truly mind blowing band of young players - with Stan the wise jazz elder at the front - he played he ass off on both electric and acoustic basses and the material was really good as well.

I interviewed him on Friday for BGM and he was very, very cool in person - I've met him before when he was touring the RTF band a couple of years ago - he seems very happy with life right now and has some more exciting new projects in the works - so look out for the piece in next month's mag.

M

[quote name='4 Strings' post='901394' date='Jul 21 2010, 10:25 PM']As an aside, his right hand and fingers are incredibly strong, even thumping the strings he makes it look like a graceful tickling of the the strings.[/quote]

His hands are also seriously enormous! His fingers seem to have extra joints in them and go on for ever... that's got to be a good thing - especially on the upright. He is just a legend - and although some of his material leaves me a little cold, his contribution to the music world is immeasurable.

Wish I could have got down for one of those gigs... :)

Sounds like you had a hell of a night.

I've always been a fan of Stanley. Such an influential player and all round brilliant musician. I'd love to have been at that gig but couldn't make it - I did get to see him last year at the Jazz musical festival at the Barbican with Chick Corea and he played 100% upright. As a fan of him on electric I wasn't sure I'd enjoy him so much but his playing was sublime, made me wanna go learn upright.

[quote name='urb' post='901608' date='Jul 22 2010, 09:00 AM']I interviewed him on Friday for BGM and he was very, very cool in person - I've met him before when he was touring the RTF band a couple of years ago - he seems very happy with life right now and has some more exciting new projects in the works - so look out for the piece in next month's mag.[/quote]

Fantastic, looking forward to reading that.

I'm doing a quick review for my blog (as I do with all gigs, just so I have a nice personal record). Can anyone remember the sets he did from their nights? The music was so sublime that I was taken in and lost count! I know he did a RTF number as well as a cover of Pork Pie Hat.

It was amazing, I will be writing a very complementary post soon :)

Like you, I can't remember the actual pieces, only that the first initial round of swapping solos with the electric bass appeared to be based on the tap dance from 'If This Bass Could talk'. There was another from RTF but I'm not familiar enough with their material to help with its title.

I wonder how much he varied it during the week. We went to the early one on Friday, a friend went to the late one and they seemed pretty similar in pattern at least, if not material.

And, indeed, not forgetting Hiromi. But then, the standard of the other players (including the Californian drummer with large shades and a lollipop stick rolling around his lips!) was such that Hiromi blended in well! That's not to say she was not outstanding but I also really liked the playing of the Israeli youngster on the keyboard and the drummer's display of talent expanded through the set. Elite stuff all round.

Wish it was videoed.

Edited by 4 Strings

[quote name='urb' post='901608' date='Jul 22 2010, 09:00 AM']I used to feel the same way about him - I never really dug him past his School Days album - wasn't a fan of the the Clarke/George Duke stuff at all - BUT having got into his last couple of albums and then seen him at Ronnie's last week I can honestly say I'm now a fan and he is without doubt playing at the very top of his game. I can only second all the positive comments here about the Ronnie's gig - a truly mind blowing band of young players - with Stan the wise jazz elder at the front - he played he ass off on both electric and acoustic basses and the material was really good as well.

I interviewed him on Friday for BGM and he was very, very cool in person - I've met him before when he was touring the RTF band a couple of years ago - he seems very happy with life right now and has some more exciting new projects in the works - so look out for the piece in next month's mag.

M[/quote]

Yeh I know his playing is excellent, he just doesn't personally fit in with what I look for in a bass player. I like some of his upright playing though! It's one of those things isn't it... I love Jaco for example but I know he's not for everyone. Still doesn't detract from his awesome ability and musical prowess.

I love Stanley - although I recall that he recently played a show in America advertised as as just being "Stanley Clarke", not "Stan plays upright", where he played one track on his electric bass and the rest of the time he was on the upright. I also recall him saying something to the effect of that his latest album is something of a definitive electric statement for now and he'll be concentrating a lot more on upright. He's a great upright player but it's not an instrument that interests me!

Sounds like a great show though. My favourite Stanley stuff is the Animal Logic records. I remember Stan saying that he got a lot of stick for doing "pop" records, but the songs and musicianship was incredible. Just listen to Stan's bassline on "Rose Coloured Glasses", absolutely amazing. Fantastic records, those ones.

Well, I thought I won't happen to bump into this thread, but, 'best in the world?'..

Now, just to make it clear, while I have never been a fan of Stanley (doubt, that I'll ever be), but I dig that he's a great cat, it's cool that lots of folks appreciate him (and I know that there is Something to appreciate him for..), and I don't have a single problem with neither of those..

But, to answer, why I don't listen to him, is that, for me, his music, for years, doesn't go anywhere, he simply doesn't push it, and it's obvious why.. He's known doing that THING, playing THAT style, and he probably gets helluva lot money for that thing, so it's hard for him to 'invent' something new (and he, obviously, doesn't need to do that)..

So, it's a shame at some point for me, if that makes sense..

So, just to answer your question - no, he's not the best for me :)

easy
Faith

Edited by Faithless

Just out of interest, what was the electric sound like? Almost everytime I've seen him on telly it has sounded terrible, nothing like as nice as on record. Could that be just bad tv mix?
I expect that close-up at Ronnies you hear exactly what's coming out of the amp.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='902399' date='Jul 22 2010, 09:49 PM']Just out of interest, what was the electric sound like? Almost everytime I've seen him on telly it has sounded terrible, nothing like as nice as on record. Could that be just bad tv mix?
I expect that close-up at Ronnies you hear exactly what's coming out of the amp.[/quote]

I thought he had by far the best electric bass sound I've ever heard. It wasn't a thin nasal sound at all (he does sometimes sound a bit weird on more recent footage; maybe his live sound doesn't translate, although I know plenty of people who simply hate his sound regardless which is fair enough, each to their own); it sounded bloody huge, with teeth. I love how he uses the filters to sweep through completely different sounds for different phrases. I also loved his upright tone which was really clear and singing.

FWIW, I love his Brown Album (one of my all-time favourite albums), but after School Days probably lost interest to a greater or lesser degree, not that that diminished to my eyes in any way what he accomplished prior to that. But live, certainly the last two times I've seen him (maybe not quite so much the first time with George Duke) he has just blown me away. Yes he does his thing, he has a distinct style, uses distinct phrasing and doesn't stretch too far away from that, but what a thing! IMO of course. As stated elsewhere, I'm far more interested in stylists and his style floats my boat big time.

I actually bought Jaco's debut and Stanley's Brown Album on the same day many, many years ago; my dad suggested getting the Stanley album and I was like "yeah, whatever" (I'd never really heard either of them but had heard such great things about Jaco). I was expecting Jaco's to blow me away and wasn't that bothered about Stanley's; I listened to the Jaco album and thought "hmm, not really impressed", then put Stanley's album on and it blew my mind. Speaking of which, since Jaco died I feel like there's been a bit of revisionist history; all we ever seem to hear is how Jaco single-handedly changed the face of electric bass. Well when I was much younger and they were both around they were considered neck and neck at the top of the tree, which is how it should be.

BTW Mike, looking forward to that interview.

I was at the Ronnie Scotts gig last Friday and it was a fantastic night. He did a couple on electric bass then the rest of the gig on double bass. I've seen Stanley a number of times over the years and the best were when I saw him at the Coachhouse in California with Billy Cobham, Najee, Larry Calton, Deron Johnson and the gig he did at the 02 with Return to Forever.

I'm a big fan of Stanley and he is by far my favourite bass player on electric and double bass. Yes he does have a trademark sound/ style and is easily recognisable on record but then isn't that what we are looking for as musicians, a sound that represents us. I don't see it as a bad or negative thing. I heard an interview by marcus miller where he suggested that people should be able to recognise who you are in two notes.

Jazzyvee

[quote name='4000' post='902533' date='Jul 22 2010, 11:19 PM']Speaking of which, since Jaco died I feel like there's been a bit of revisionist history; all we ever seem to hear is how Jaco single-handedly changed the face of electric bass. Well when I was much younger and they were both around they were considered neck and neck at the top of the tree, which is how it should be.[/quote]

Funny, on this forum I've considered the revisionism has gone the opposite way. It is easy to knock a dead man. When I heard Jaco's first solo album and Heavy Weather it sounded like music from another planet. Stanley was and is great but came across to me as souped-up funk. Never liked his bass tone or his tendency to muck around with piccolo bass (who's the bass player Stan? Jimmy Earl!) He has had a lot longer to grow and change, and whilst I don't doubt for a minute that his playing was top notch, as others have said he hasn't really gone anywhere stylistically. And that's without any (perceived) mental disorders... Still, each to their own.

[quote name='XB26354' post='902646' date='Jul 23 2010, 12:39 AM']Funny, on this forum I've considered the revisionism has gone the opposite way. It is easy to knock a dead man. When I heard Jaco's first solo album and Heavy Weather it sounded like music from another planet. Stanley was and is great but came across to me as souped-up funk. Never liked his bass tone or his tendency to muck around with piccolo bass (who's the bass player Stan? Jimmy Earl!) He has had a lot longer to grow and change, and whilst I don't doubt for a minute that his playing was top notch, as others have said he hasn't really gone anywhere stylistically. And that's without any (perceived) mental disorders... Still, each to their own.[/quote]

I wasn't talking about this Forum per se, I was speaking generally. Besides, even if Jaco gets knocked on here (although I'm not sure he does apart from possibly in response to a "Jaco is the best ever" kind of comment - you could insert anyone's name in that sentence and someone will have a go!) Stanley hardly gets a mention normally, which kind of proves my point. Whenever I read an article about the the true giants of the electric bass it always seems to be about Jaco. Not that he shouldn't be up there, obviously he should...but Stan should be up there with him. Personally I feel that even if you only make one statement, if that statement is strong enough then you've confirmed your place in history.

[quote name='jazzyvee' post='902622' date='Jul 23 2010, 12:23 AM']I'm a big fan of Stanley and he is by far my favourite bass player on electric and double bass. Yes he does have a trademark sound/ style and is easily recognisable on record but then isn't that what we are looking for as musicians, a sound that represents us. I don't see it as a bad or negative thing. I heard an interview by marcus miller where he suggested that people should be able to recognise who you are in two notes.

Jazzyvee[/quote]

I would completely agree, but I guess that takes us back to the stylist/versatility debate. :)

[quote name='XB26354' post='902646' date='Jul 23 2010, 12:39 AM']Funny, on this forum I've considered the revisionism has gone the opposite way. It is easy to knock a dead man. When I heard Jaco's first solo album and Heavy Weather it sounded like music from another planet. Stanley was and is great but came across to me as souped-up funk. Never liked his bass tone or his tendency to muck around with piccolo bass (who's the bass player Stan? Jimmy Earl!) He has had a lot longer to grow and change, and whilst I don't doubt for a minute that his playing was top notch, as others have said he hasn't really gone anywhere stylistically. And that's without any (perceived) mental disorders... Still, each to their own.[/quote]

I agree Mark - but I think the point with him now is that he's playing a lot of actual 'bass' within a great band - that explore a lot of different styles/sound - I agree about his electric playing and it has generally, rarely, moved me in the way Jaco or Victor's stuff does from time to time - but I do think he has developed now more as a bandleader... all this is based on what I heard last week - not on what he's been doing for the last 35 years... :)

M