Why become a member? ×

Miller with Miles

bubinga5

found this...gotta love it....what i love is how his bass looks like new! only a few years old..ok 6 years old thanks JT..

ha ha sorry JT its 4 years old..

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSKow6i0qiY&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSKow6i0qiY...feature=related[/url]

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='steviedee' post='898744' date='Jul 19 2010, 11:17 AM']Great clip man but you'll kick off the 'Marcus is great/sh*t', 'I love/hate his hat' debate, which seems to rage endlessly on basschat![/quote]yeah i know..never heard the hat one though...

[quote name='dr1' post='898824' date='Jul 19 2010, 12:28 PM']that's interesting. i'm not familiar with the history of his signature bass - i thought they started around 1998. thats 81/82. could it be it's his fender jazz which have been modified by sadowsky?[/quote]

It's his '77 Jazz that his signature model was based on.

I think this is more like 'Miles with Miller'. Miles had the arse with his record company through this period and let Miller write and play almost everything, just turning up to record his parts.

I have nothing with Miller on - don't really like his 'thing' and seeing his name on a cd cover puts me off buying. Great player, crap music :)

[quote name='dr1' post='898824' date='Jul 19 2010, 12:28 PM']that's interesting. i'm not familiar with the history of his signature bass - i thought they started around 1998. thats 81/82. could it be it's his fender jazz which have been modified by sadowsky?[/quote]his signature bass was based on a 70's jazz bass...some say its a 75 but i believe its a later model a 77.....also the original electronics were Bartolini not Sadowsky..(i could be wrong on this)

this may have changed later? not sure of the plate he had fitted to house the electronics...would love to know...

i will find out from my erm...source

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='Bilbo' post='898838' date='Jul 19 2010, 12:41 PM']I think this is more like 'Miles with Miller'. Miles had the arse with his record company through this period and let Miller write and play almost everything, just turning up to record his parts.

I have nothing with Miller on - don't really like his 'thing' and seeing his name on a cd cover puts me off buying. Great player, crap music :)[/quote]
Bilbo im suprised at your "crap music" comment....music is in the eye of the beholder, a musician of you experience should know that.. :rolleyes:

if he didnt slap would you look at him differently?

If it is the Hammersmith concert, i was at that gig and it was pretty amazing,
not so long after that gig i got to see Marcus with David Sanborn band over at Wembley supporting Al Jarreau,
and both bands had some pretty serious dudes that night.
One thing i remember about both gigs was MM did not use so much mid scooping back then, and at
the gigs the Bass sounded kin huge!
Personally i preferred his slap tone back yonder [ although still pretty up there these days...lol]

I think Cambers contribution to the impact of Miles is greater but I'd put Marcus at 2nd. I really dig his contribution and would argue some of Miles most beautiful work is directly in response to how Miller constructed a 'platform' for him to work on.

parts of Amandla and Siesta rival other flagship albums of the various styles of Miles.

I also say unequivocally that Marcus can play a melody. This places him in a very select few of bass players.

I get that MM is a great player but I can pretty much categorically state that no piece of music that was slapped/popped has ever MOVED me. Impressed me, yes, but never moved me. I spent some time with the disciplines of slap/pop/tap but quickly realised I didn't actually like anything I was practising :) so I stopped. I find it a real turn off. I also find over-production a turn off and MM is one of the worst culprits for that. So, as I said, great player on many levels, just don't like the music.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='900038' date='Jul 20 2010, 02:01 PM']why does everyone think that slapping is all he does? He plays fingerstyle, a horn, plays fretless and plays the piano[/quote]

Yeah I went to YouTube and typed in "Marcus Miller", everything on the first page was Marcus Miller slapping, I don't get why people think slapping is all he does.

The first result was Marcus Miller slapping Moonlight Sonata. :)

Edited by thisnameistaken

Marcus has very good fretless chops,
Check out his solo on Friends and Strangers with Dave Grusin,
Although i would not call it Jazz, its very lyrical and he was pretty young when he did it.
Plenty of other Fretless stuff with MM knocking around.

Garry

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='900066' date='Jul 20 2010, 02:18 PM']Yeah I went to YouTube and typed in "Marcus Miller", everything on the first page was Marcus Miller slapping, I don't get why people think slapping is all he does.

The first result was Marcus Miller slapping Moonlight Sonata. :)[/quote]

You're always going to get that,because over the last 15 years or so Marcus has developed a very strong identity on the
instrument.
What you won't find on YouTube are the thousands of songs,jingles and soundtracks that he played on throughout the
'80's and '90's as one of the first call NY studio players.

Back on topic,I like Miles' work around that period. Sure some of it is a little over produced at times,but I liked what
he was doing and thought that there were some really good tunes.

We Want Miles, Tutu and Amandla are amazing pieces of work from the 80s that I adore to listen to. I can understand why they annoy some but if you can appreciate the 80s production, then you will love these babies. I actually heard We Want Miles before any other of his albums and it's always had a special place. His first come back album (The Man With The Horn) isn't great, and some like You're Under Arrest, Decoy and Siesta are weaker but do check out these three if you are interested.

[b]We Want Miles[/b] shows the first incarnation, which although Miles might not be at his strongest, the band are excellent and tunes like Jean Pierre are just groove laden.

[b]Tutu[/b] was Marcus' baby in terms of the music but the play of Miles here is his strongest since the early 70s. It's pretty much all synthesied but I'm a fan of good 80s music and this fits the bill.

[b]Amandla[/b] was really the final band Miles had and the title track, Mr Pastorious and Hannibal are all winners. With a little less sheen this would be a fantastic album but it just feels a bit too smooth. Most of the music was Miller's again but the band are excellent.

Either way, I love these three albums. Do check out the book 'The Last Miles' which goes through all his works, bands and live performances of 80s and early 90s. Excellent read that digs deep into the music.

I love Miles, and I love Marcus too, and I [i]really[/i] want to love "Tutu", but it's just never hooked me. I prefer Miles' older 1950s/60s stuff.

I went through a big Marcus phase a couple of years ago, and still love stuff like M2, but his lead slap and pop started to get on my wick after a while, I much prefer it when he grooves with a band, he's a fabulously funky fingerstyle player, and certainly not [i]just[/i] a slapper.

I am not MM fan either,but he played some great stuff apart from his slapping teen town and all .
IE- Bryan Ferry' "boys and girls" and "Bete Noire" albums (which are great with stunning basslines and sound!) There was Guy Pratt and Abraham Laboriel too on Bete Noire but I am not sure which songs....

[quote name='faceman' post='900365' date='Jul 20 2010, 06:58 PM']We Want Miles, Tutu and Amandla are amazing pieces of work from the 80s that I adore to listen to. I can understand why they annoy some but if you can appreciate the 80s production, then you will love these babies. I actually heard We Want Miles before any other of his albums and it's always had a special place. His first come back album (The Man With The Horn) isn't great, and some like You're Under Arrest, Decoy and Siesta are weaker but do check out these three if you are interested.

[b]We Want Miles[/b] shows the first incarnation, which although Miles might not be at his strongest, the band are excellent and tunes like Jean Pierre are just groove laden.

[b]Tutu[/b] was Marcus' baby in terms of the music but the play of Miles here is his strongest since the early 70s. It's pretty much all synthesied but I'm a fan of good 80s music and this fits the bill.

[b]Amandla[/b] was really the final band Miles had and the title track, Mr Pastorious and Hannibal are all winners. With a little less sheen this would be a fantastic album but it just feels a bit too smooth. Most of the music was Miller's again but the band are excellent.

Either way, I love these three albums. Do check out the book 'The Last Miles' which goes through all his works, bands and live performances of 80s and early 90s. Excellent read that digs deep into the music.[/quote]

Plus the One - 'Mr Pastorius' on Amandla is great - apparently Miles instructed Marcus to start 'walking' the bass line as he was recording the take - the bass line is just wonderful.

Mike