Why become a member? ×

Miller with Miles

bubinga5

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='900066' date='Jul 20 2010, 02:18 PM']Yeah I went to YouTube and typed in "Marcus Miller", everything on the first page was Marcus Miller slapping, I don't get why people think slapping is all he does.

The first result was Marcus Miller slapping Moonlight Sonata. :)[/quote]

It's like everyone labelling Stephen King as a horror writer. Bound to happen, but there's much more to him.

I'm with Bilbo, he's a great player but his music leaves much to be desired. I went through a phase where I bought loads of his stuff, then realised I could only listen to it for about 30 seconds before turning it off and putting something with songs in it in the cd player. I'm almost scared to say this, but I find Miles Davis really rather tedious too. :ph34r: :)

[quote name='beardybass' post='901055' date='Jul 21 2010, 04:35 PM']I'm almost scared to say this, but I find Miles Davis really rather tedious too. :ph34r: :rolleyes:[/quote]

:lol:

Well that's music for you as I tend to like his stuff with Marcus, but not so much without him :)

Edited by purpleblob

[quote name='beardybass' post='901055' date='Jul 21 2010, 04:35 PM']I'm with Bilbo, he's a great player but his music leaves much to be desired. I went through a phase where I bought loads of his stuff, then realised I could only listen to it for about 30 seconds before turning it off and putting something with songs in it in the cd player. I'm almost scared to say this, but I find Miles Davis really rather tedious too. :ph34r: :rolleyes:[/quote]

Everyone's entitled to their opinion though, aren't they? I don't like Marcus Miller too much although I think his bass playing is fantastic... it's just really not my thing. I think you've got to see stuff for what it is, even though you don't like it doesn't instantly mean it's crap. I don't like U2 for example but they've written some undeniably great tunes. What I hate is the irrational side of opinions, Bono's a bit of a ponce therefore his music is terrible etc. it just doesn't work like that.

You shouldn't be too panicked about just voicing an opinion, it's what opens the floor to healthy debate :)

Edited by liamcapleton

This is going to be the most ongoing debate ever in the history of Basschat, and it's never going to be resolved. Maybe people who think Marcus is famous for his slap playing will (hopefully) check out his back catalogue and realise there is much more to him. Same with Victor Wooten.

I suggest you look at the live DVD 'Jack Of All Trades', which includes interviews with eminent bass players and a live concert with Marcus and his truly sublime band.

The comments from the other players say it all. He's a great person and a great multi-talented musician.

Give it a go. :)

Edited by Pete Academy

[quote name='steve-soar' post='901236' date='Jul 21 2010, 08:06 PM']Love him, or loathe him, Marcus has one of the most recognizable tones of any bassist.
Listened to Julian Lennon on the car radio the other day, BAM, there's Marcus.[/quote]

Was that 'Too late for Goodbyes' ?
Has to be him.

Garry