Why become a member? ×

Showman or Plonker ?

essexbasscat

Depends on the band...

I once played a gig when i sang and played guitar in a band (a combintion i never really got on with) our regular bassist was away on holiday so i asked a very capable mate of mine to join us...

We were an indie/rock/alt type band, and sometimes guilty of shoegazing...shoegazing with intent though. He was a metal bassist.

He ripped off his top and proceeded to bounce around the stage, jumping off the subs, the montiors and even used his wireless kit to wander into the audience. This was totally at odds with the music, and the rest of our behaviour. So he basically looked like a twat.

In his normal band, it added to the energy and impact of the music. So fair f***s to him.

In my current band, i'm the only one without a microphone, so i do find myself wandering about a bit, wiggling my head and arse on occasion, just to make sure there is a decent bit of movement on the stage - no pogoing or headbanging, as it doesn't fit the music at all.

Thing is though, lads who dance away on stage while playing bass should always ensure they A - can dance, and B - aren't getting in the way of the other band members and C - know what they're playing to ensure the dancing doesn't cock up their playing.

Edited by AndyTravis

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='898388' date='Jul 18 2010, 09:24 PM']I like to find a pillar or something to hide behind!
I think every town has one of those ageing rock dudes and I guess some of us will become the next generation, Sadly one of our town heros passed away unexpectedly last year.He used to be at the front at every gig praising them up and lightening the mood at some of those gigs where no one wants to start dancing. We played Oasis live forever as a tribute to him! Proper nutter though but missed all the same and to think we used to get annoyed by him sometimes is a bit shameful now.[/quote]

we ave a guy like this too Pete, I think I will appreciate him a bit more......nice sentiment with the song matey :)

[quote name='MB1' post='898382' date='Jul 18 2010, 09:14 PM']MB1. :)
...The Guy is obviously enjoying himself!...apparently the police... have found the motorcyclists who ran over his bass![/quote]

Did Tubs do good?? :rolleyes:

i apologise but i've been waiting for a reason to do that ever since i saw your avatar... :lol:

[quote name='guyl' post='898389' date='Jul 18 2010, 09:25 PM']Showman or Plonker ...... what's wrong with being both. As long as the audience are entertained![/quote]

Good point actually.

What nobody has pointed out is that there are no rules to do with hair, weight or age. I saw Crosby, Stills & Nash earlier this month. Stephen Stills has very little of his own hair left now, seemed to have the dress sense of Jockey Wilson these days and is certainly punching above his weight [b]but[/b] still managed to be cool. Granted he was cooler in 1971 but I wasn't put off. Some people just look awkward playing and some people elude cool.

The average age of my band is 43 (I'm the baby at 37) and we do original material which is a bit unusual for our age. I think certain genres like country, jazz, folk and blues are age free. If anything it can look better to be older. If we were a Glam band people might view us differently.

A lot of it is down to confidence and just being yourself. If you are a rocker (of which I am not particularly) why should you stop just because your hair is a little greyer and thinner then what it used to be? I think I'm more confident / relaxed on stage (& indeed in life) now I'm older. I certainly have toned down my look since I was 19 but I still look like I probably play music.

[quote name='OldGit' post='898407' date='Jul 18 2010, 09:45 PM']Whatever passes for entertaining in the context[/quote]
Exactly.
I wouldn't want to see Kiss sitting on wooden stools looking all earnest just as much as I wouldn't want to see Martin Carthy pulling rock star shapes & spitting fake blood.

i have to agree with being a showman because i've always been the one who runs around the stage and tries to get the audience clapping along and doing the steve harris and pointing my bass at the stage standing and jumping off everything its just what i do, i suppose the stage is where i let everything out and i truly relax and have no shame at all, plus i'd be bored stupid just standing still no matter what music i was playing...

so +10000000000000 for being a showman or a plonker just depends on your point of view i suppose...

I can't stay still on stage for long. I need to sort of settle in I suppose and then as the gig goes on I get busier. The singer and guitarist in my band are in no way shrinking violets and I'm certainly not going to let them steal all the limelight! But I'm not exactly running around all over the place, more busting some rock n roll stances and that sort of thing.

If I stood still then yes I could play a bit better and drop a few less howlers, but our style is sloppy-tight and the amateur enthusiasm sits well with it. Our aim is to entertain.

[quote name='guyl' post='898389' date='Jul 18 2010, 09:25 PM']Showman or Plonker ...... what's wrong with being both. As long as the audience are entertained![/quote]

I like that!

Thumbs up from me for people who make the effort as they are supposed to be 'entertainers'.

Definitely believe effort to entertain is required, but I always really enjoy seeing musicians 'lost' in their art while playing. Norman W-R being a nice example. I will travel to see musicians like him, to see facial contortions and almost involuntary actions. Players being into the music invites me to take it seriously and be into it too.

On the plonker side are, for me, those who love the way they look more than the way they play and the clothes and posing show a wafer thin character.

Having said that I do love watching Pete Townshend, Jimi Hendrix etc - but somehow the posing/show is integral with what's being played, not just standing with a 'look' (and they can play a bit too!).

I prefer even the most plonkerish posing to staring at feet.