Why become a member? ×

Marshall Fans?

Lozz196

Are there any other Basschatters out there who love Marshall Bass Amps?

I`ve owned Hartke, Laney, Peavey, Trace Elliot & Fender, played through Ampeg, but the amps that work for me are Marshall.

Just bought a 2nd hand DBS 7400 to go with my VBC 412, and the sound/power is amazing, but even my MB Series gear, which is Marshalls current entry-level gear I found to be seriously good. Plus very reasonably priced.

Just think that for "old-school" bass sounds, Marshall can`t be beat. There`s also the added advantage that, with them being 30mins away from me, if I need a service/repair, I can take it straight to the manufacturer, rather than having to find someone locally to deal. Marshalls service/repair prices I find to be very reasonable, and if booked, they show you around the whole factory/museum whilst they carry out the work.

Great products, great customer service, and whats more rock n roll than a Marshall?

Makes me want to wear my shades indoors :)

Nothing but tons of love for my VBA400 rig. :wub:
Always been an Ampeg man through and through,
but when I got lucky witha trade and landed a VBA400 halfstack, I realised nothing beats a Marshall valve amp!

Its big, ugly, heavy and loud and does exactly what it should-blow you away.
I bought a second VBC412 and now I have the biggest,meanest bass rig around!
(is there anything more RAWK than a Gibson TBird and a Marshall Fullstack?)
Makes my SVT4PRO and 610HLF look like a kids rig (when next to each other) and looks like Stonehenge next to the SVT Micro :)
The VBA400 is heavy, but so is an Ampeg SVT. And these amps are SVT-killers. they are 100watts of valve louder and the EQ is far more responsive IMO.

The VBC412 cabs are fantastic. Hadn´t used 12´s before, but love the low end rumble and the clarity of the top-end.
An amzing cab-thats why i´ve got two!

I´ve tried the newer midrange (MB?) head and 4x10 cab and was surprised by some of the sounds I got.

All in all, I reckon I´m a Marhall fan

Edited by basshead56

Yep, I'm a Marshall fan for both my guitar and bass rigs.

Bass rig is a 1980s 200w Integrated Bass Series head and a 1996 Dynamic Bass series 1x15. Gives that old, simple rock tone :)

Guitar rig is a DSL401 Combo - doesn't really replace the Jcm800/jcm2000 stack and a half I used to have though!

Andy :rolleyes:

hiho,having been a peg man for years I broke out years ago and discovered roland then for a bigger rig I got a mb450 head and 2 2x10 cabs.
Best move I,ve made-totally underated.
Never had a problem apart from changing the pre amp valve when I got it.Got to agree thunderbird and a marshall but have to add-ricky,musicman and a p-bass heavily hot rodded to the mix.
Plug in a ricky and bobs yer teapot,P or a musicman-glorious,thunderbird,growllin thunder.
Love them to bits and for smaller gigs,practice roland,wish they had made a 450 watt version as they are seriously loud and have a tone to die for,mind you they do a powered extension cab but for the price go for the marshall head and go the 2x10 route which makes it easier to lug about and you have the option of one cab,small gig
2 cabs lets shake the foundations.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='896253' date='Jul 16 2010, 08:53 AM']Are there any other Basschatters out there who love Marshall Bass Amps?

I`ve owned Hartke, Laney, Peavey, Trace Elliot & Fender, played through Ampeg, but the amps that work for me are Marshall.

Just bought a 2nd hand DBS 7400 to go with my VBC 412, and the sound/power is amazing, but even my MB Series gear, which is Marshalls current entry-level gear I found to be seriously good. Plus very reasonably priced.

Just think that for "old-school" bass sounds, Marshall can`t be beat. There`s also the added advantage that, with them being 30mins away from me, if I need a service/repair, I can take it straight to the manufacturer, rather than having to find someone locally to deal. Marshalls service/repair prices I find to be very reasonable, and if booked, they show you around the whole factory/museum whilst they carry out the work.

Great products, great customer service, and whats more rock n roll than a Marshall?

Makes me want to wear my shades indoors :)[/quote]

I tried a Marshall MB combo the other day in Sound Sanc studios in Watford really liked the vintage old channel, amazing warm, smooth sounds from a relatively cheap combo really great.
At Eastwood studios in Milton Keynes they Have a 7XXX series in white tolex, really a great sound very round and warm the opposite of the Nemesis of the day the Trace Elliot series 6. I like both amps from that period but the come from entirely different ends of the spectrum. So easy to dial in the warm round Motown sound with these Marshalls.

Got a second hand VBA400 with 4x10 and 1x15 as my first "pro rig".

Best £550 I ever spent, love the thing. Plug a Stingray into the passive jack and I've plenty of glorious growl and in the active jack I've got a clean tone that is deep and authoritative.

Not sure about the SVT killer tag myself, as the other bassist in my band uses one and we have very different tones, the SVT seems to be a touch more present in the high-mids whereas the Marshall has more low-mid and bass response, to my ears at least. It's still one hell of an amp and not [i]that[/i] heavy in the grand scheme of things...

I must admit I know nothing about Marshall bass cabs, but the only time I heard one it was a 4 x 10 or 4 x 12 maybe, powered by a Harkte 3500.

The bass player was superb. After an hour or so listening, the sound was getting to me and was so bad that I was saying to people that I'll be glad to get out of here. It was F***ing dreadful. The playing was great.

On a similar theme (although going off-thread just a bit) last week I was in a pub listening to a really brilliant band. The bass player was excellent. He was using all Ashdown gear with a 4 x 10? cab. The sound was really grating on me. All muffled and distortion. Not a sound I like at all.

I know that not everyone will agree with me. Each to their own. I like clear, undistorted, deep bass sound. "Old school" is not for me at all. To me, it's bad sound and I much prefer to use modern amps and new speaker technology. Maybe the subject of a new thread?

Frank

i used to have a VBA400, was amazing. pure and simple!!

loud as you like and did what you would expect any valve amp to do!

Only reason i chopped it in is because of the rather pricy cost of re valving the beast and i got offered a straight swap for my Trace V4 mmmmmmm.

Would have one again in a heartbeat if i needed that power again.