Why become a member? ×

Chris from Muse bobbing head thingy again!

Did anyone see T in the park footage of Muse? I must admit I enjoyed a lot of it and Im not a massive fan.I thought they had good use of available gadgets and gizmos as ever but them Status basses just are not cutting it for me on certain tracks.We have been here just a few weeks ago with glasto in the spotlight with a particularly bad slap sound but this time it was more of a general lack of uumph in my opinion.
What do you folks think?, This is not a stab at Status players before you start, just as an outsider who has never tried one his sounds so far are not making me reach for my wallet! :)

I got round to watching it last night, the mix was better than Glastonbury but not by much.... some of the other acts had bigger problems, Calvin Harris' first song was inaudible apart from the drums, then one member in the band was gradually increased a song at a time so by the end of the set you could almost hear all of them.

Maybe Chris Wotsisname is also getting used to his new toys, Rob at Status only dropped those new S2-Classics round to Muse a couple of days before Glastonbury.

As for head bobbing, don't all bass players do that? I know I do :)

Edited by Fat Rich

I do indulge in a bit of "bobbing" but he must have neckache by the end of the set?
I just think the same as has been said in other threads that the Status is to modern and hifi for some (not all) of Muse songs,That Pedulla used to sound fat with a capital "PH" on the classic Muse songs.I will have to go and see them live and take a very tasty hat to eat on the way home! :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='891846' date='Jul 11 2010, 11:26 AM']I do indulge in a bit of "bobbing" but he must have neckache by the end of the set?[/quote]

I think at one point he was told to cut it back as he was doing some serious damage to his neck.

Well you can let us all know first hand,Lots more guitar stuff it seems to me,He is loving the guitar and doing a good job from what I can see too.All them rock riffs between songs at T in the park and lots of lead breaks etc, Should be good! (but keep an eye on old bobbing headmejob and the Status live sound too)

[quote name='Chris2112' post='891549' date='Jul 10 2010, 07:53 PM']IMO, this would probably be more to do with [b]Chris not being that fantastic a player[/b] than the basses themselves! As I've never known Jonas Hellborg have trouble getting "oomph" out of them![/quote]

A rather strange statement that. What do you mean by it? That he's not very technical? Accomplished? Poor technique?

His playing seemed fine to me. What do you expect him to play?

As for bobbing, well, he didn't do it all the time so he might be saved surgery later!

I'd like to say that I didn't hear a single word that was sung. Not a single word. And it wasn't the mix. It might as well have been sung in Greek!

Davo

[quote name='faceman' post='891885' date='Jul 11 2010, 12:05 PM']I am seeing Muse live this September and am looking forward to it! I personally think some of the tunes from their new album are their best. I've never seen a Status live so I can't comment :)[/quote]

If you are seeing them at Wembley Stadium then you won't be able to comment on the bass sound, or much else for that matter. Appaling acoustics compared to the original stadium. I saw the Foo Fighters there and was very disapointed with the sound. The support bands shouldn't of bothered even turning up. Other than that it was great.

No matter how good the player and how fabulous his kit is, when it comes to a live gig the bass sound FOH is only as good as the PA system and the engineer behind the desk.
If Chris W's bass really is lacking in oomph, then all I can say is it's the first un-oomphy Status I've heard. Mine is oomphier than an oomph-monster swimming in a lake of oomph.

[size=1]Do I win a prize for Most Gratuitous Over-Use Of The Word 'Oomph'..?[/size]

[quote name='Rich' post='893632' date='Jul 13 2010, 12:44 PM']No matter how good the player and how fabulous his kit is, when it comes to a live gig the bass sound FOH is only as good as the PA system and the engineer behind the desk.
If Chris W's bass really is lacking in oomph, then all I can say is it's the first un-oomphy Status I've heard. Mine is oomphier than an oomph-monster swimming in a lake of oomph.

[size=1][u][b]Do I win a prize for Most Gratuitous Over-Use Of The Word 'Oomph'..?[/b][/u][/size][/quote]
I don't know, personally I think you got the balance just right. :) Oomph.!!!!!!

[quote name='silddx' post='892178' date='Jul 11 2010, 07:14 PM']A rather strange statement that. What do you mean by it? That he's not very technical? Accomplished? Poor technique?[/quote]
I thought that. I'm not a massive Muse fan but he's always struck me as competent, very consistent & a pretty inventive player, and I've never noticed anything to criticise about his technique.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='894077' date='Jul 13 2010, 07:20 PM']I thought that. I'm not a massive Muse fan but he's always struck me as competent, very consistent & a pretty inventive player, and I've never noticed anything to criticise about his technique.

Jon.[/quote]
+1 He is decent enough and different too,Just needs his old bass back!

Both the drummer and the bass player were lucky to get that gig so good luck to them.
I think they survive it and play their part even though it is all Bellamy, IMO.

I don't think the type of bass really matters FOH..it is what he feels comfortable playing on stage for the track.
I do disagree with gratuitous changes though... and there is more mostly making the sound than the bass in there.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='JTUK' post='894472' date='Jul 14 2010, 10:08 AM']Both the drummer and the bass player were lucky to get that gig so good luck to them.

I don't think the type of bass really matters FOH..it is what he feels comfortable playing on stage for the track.
I do disagree with gratuitous changes though... and there is more mostly making the sound than the bass in there.[/quote]

I don't think they 'got the gig' as such seeing as they have been mates and in a band since they were all about 13

[quote name='JTUK' post='894472' date='Jul 14 2010, 10:08 AM']Both the drummer and the bass player were lucky to get that gig so good luck to them.

I do disagree with gratuitous changes though... and there is more mostly making the sound than the bass in there.[/quote]

I always thought it was Dom's band and that he got the other two in even though Chris Wotsisname was originally a drummer....

Dom's drumming seems to be very well respected in the drumming world, he plays some very tricky stuff sometimes.