Why become a member? ×

Shuker 5 String Precision- Picked up today!!

Old Horse Murphy

Well, after setting off at 6 this morning and completing a round-trip of 360 miles, my 5 string P Bass is finally here.

It took a fair bit longer than Jon estimated, but once I saw it in the flesh and played it I would have waited another 6 months for it!!

It is beautiful and I think Jon has done a superb job. It's exactly what I asked for but honestly it has come out better than I ever hoped.

The EMG's sound amazing and the neck is exactly the same dimensions as my old Stingray 5 string (exactly as I spec'd it). The colour is amazing and took my breath away when I first saw it. The ash grain comes through incredibly well and if anything, the pics don't do it justice. The Mother of Pearl on the neck is beautiful and has a very deep lustre.

He's a thoroughly decent guy and an incredibly talented craftsman. He even fitted a passive switch to my Stingray FOC while I waited.

I'm sure this is not to everyone's taste, but I spec'd out and asked for a traditional P Bass with a few modern touches. I think he's delivered it and more.

It will fit in beautifully with my Stingray and Fender P Bass. I'm seriously happy and would not hesitate to use Jon again if I ever decided to buy another custom bass.

I hope you like it as much as I do. Here's my new bass named after my Wife who chose the colour scheme.

[quote name='OldGit' post='253408' date='Aug 2 2008, 05:29 PM']Oh excellent!
Brilliant ...

I guess we should start the BC Shuker P5 club :)[/quote]

Thanks Si and thanks for all your advice. I owe you a pint!! A Shuker P5 Club sounds cool. I guess I'm Member #2!!

Were your ears burning earlier? Your name cropped up a few times while I was talking to Jon.

Ruby says Hi too :huh:

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='253410' date='Aug 2 2008, 05:31 PM']Thanks Si and thanks for all your advice. I owe you a pint!! A Shuker P5 Club sounds cool. I guess I'm Member #2!!

Were your ears burning earlier? Your name cropped up a few times while I was talking to Jon.

Ruby says Hi too :)[/quote]

Ha ha hard to tell I got them sunburned on Friday betwen the showers :huh:

So how's his new workshop? Looked nice on the telly ..
And, much more importantly, when does Blue Alice get to play a gig?

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='253446' date='Aug 2 2008, 06:54 PM']Got a rehearsal next Thursday to get the strings nice and grubby so they don't go ZING. We're playing a private Party on Sunday night so I'll take her along then.

Can't wait :)[/quote]

Full report please!!!

That looks really nice, no wonder Jon's pleased with that blue. I was due to pop up there today myself to drop some bits off and check on progress but apparently it was a bit of a drop in session according to Jon. Looks like I might be up there next weekend, assuming I'm not overseas.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='253458' date='Aug 2 2008, 07:15 PM']That looks really nice, no wonder Jon's pleased with that blue. I was due to pop up there today myself to drop some bits off and check on progress but apparently it was a bit of a drop in session according to Jon. Looks like I might be up there next weekend, assuming I'm not overseas.[/quote]

I want one too!
That looks absolutely lovely and having spent just a few minutes canoodling with one of Jon's basses at the last bass bash, I'm sure it'll play and sound as good as it looks.

[quote name='martthebass' post='253490' date='Aug 2 2008, 08:34 PM']Nick,

well worth the wait mate. Please keep this one as I might have to rob a bank if you ever put it up for sale.[/quote]

LOL- Thanks Mart!! I think I'll keep hold of this one!!

Thank you all for your positive comments :)

[quote name='BassManKev' post='253496' date='Aug 2 2008, 08:43 PM']may i be so bold as to ask how much that set you back?[/quote]

Could I be a cheeky get and ask the same? That it possibly the most beautiful finish I have ever seen on a bass. I can't stop staring at it...

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='253627' date='Aug 3 2008, 10:02 AM']Mr Horse-Murphy, are you coming to the Guildford bass bash? And more importantly, are you bringing this with you?![/quote]

I certainly hope to come along (nothing planned that day yet). If I do I'll definitely bring her along