Why become a member? ×

Chris Squire Electra Evolution

xilddx

[quote name='Marvin' post='972150' date='Sep 29 2010, 10:18 PM']Well, as long as you're over 18 and not of a nervous disposition. :)[/quote]

Well being as i cant be bothered going over there and trawling through it... :lol:
Any clues as to why its persona non grata in some quarters.?

[quote name='daz' post='972196' date='Sep 29 2010, 11:03 PM']Any clues as to why its persona non grata in some quarters.?[/quote]
It is whispered that there was a sharp difference of opinion among the titans of bass who set up this site and / or its predecessor. So someone went off and launched his own bass site. Every so often, a BC-er is seized by the conviction that they'd be happier hanging with the Finnbass crew and crosses the Great Divide.

Some would maintain it's a Devil's Island for naughty BC-er's. Others aver that it's a Paradise where there are twenty virgins for every poster. The truth may lie somewhere in between, but mythology has it tha[font="Courier New"][b]CLEARANCE DENIED - ACCESS TERMINATED - REFER ENQUIRIES TO SECURITY SECTION [/b][/font]

That's fairly close but if you want more detail...

Imagine Bassworld as Cronus, the leader of the titans. Cronus/Bassworld, afraid of being usurped by his children did the only sensible thing and ate them. Unfortunately for him he missed one. The child named BassChat. And bugger me sideways if old Cronus/Bassworld wasn't right all along. BassChat bloody well usurped the hell out of Cronus/Bassworld.

Then something happened between BassChat and his brothers. Probably drawing straws or some mystical chess game. Or possibly rock, paper scissors.

Anyhoo, the result was that Hades was selected to reign over Hell/Finnbass.

I think that clears it up once and for all.

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='973084' date='Sep 30 2010, 07:18 PM']I never knew Hades was an entity as well as a place. Thanks Paul![/quote]

Yes Hades was a later Romanization of Tartarus. I suppose if they havent also had astral bodies named after them we forget them. So along with mars, jupiter, saturn, pluto, mercury, neptune, uranus, castor & pollux, sol invictus, luna (Roman moon godess) We also now have Vulcan the roman god of fire who got a planet named after him, even if only in fiction. :)

[quote name='daz' post='973152' date='Sep 30 2010, 08:24 PM']We also now have Vulcan the roman god of fire who got a planet named after him, even if only in fiction. :)[/quote]

Not to mention a chemical process that stops rubber from rotting (or something like that anyway). Oh, and a 1950s jet powered delta wing bomber as well :lol:

Edited by EdwardHimself

Regarding finishes,

Spirit finish is thinned with alcohol/meths (shellac etc)
Oil finish is thinned with turpentine (and cleaned up with white spirit because i's cheaper!)
Cellulose/nitro cellulose is thinned with cellulose thinners, or will clean up/rub off with alcohol/meths (alcohol moves it slower than cellulose thinners - useful for "antiquing")

A spirit based sealer is fine under cellulose. (they're both hard, and dry quickly)
An oil sealer will be fine under an oil finish, but is likely to craze under a cellulose or spirit finish.

The following is only useful on clear/transparent finishes - it'd be a waste of time if you were painting:

In practice, a drying oil is fine under a hard finish.
A non drying oil [i]can[/i] work under a hard finish, but [b]only [/b]if applied sparingly, so it soaks in before the finish is applied... Otherwise it'll craze.

Thanks gents :)

Mr Shuker is making the mirror pickguard this week so I should have it back early next week. In the meantime it's had more coats of white nitro and I will cut that back tonight and fill the remaining imperfections with Milliput. I have also fitted the brass Warwick nut which looks ace.

[quote name='silddx' post='976915' date='Oct 4 2010, 12:00 PM']Thanks gents :)

Mr Shuker is making the [u][b]mirror pickguard[/b][/u] this week so I should have it back early next week. In the meantime it's had more coats of white nitro and I will cut that back tonight and fill the remaining imperfections with Milliput. I have also fitted the brass Warwick nut which looks ace.[/quote]

Hope you got a good deal on it. :lol:

[quote name='silddx' post='977263' date='Oct 4 2010, 03:56 PM']How do you mean, Marvin?[/quote]
I do apologise. It was a flippant remark, relating to the current furore over the price of pickguards on the site. :)

EDIT: obviously I'm not suggesting that Jon Shuker would charge $500 for a pickguard, no not all.

I'll stop now.

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='Marvin' post='977312' date='Oct 4 2010, 04:30 PM']I do apologise. It was a flippant remark, relating to the current furore over the price of pickguards on the site. :)

EDIT: obviously I'm not suggesting that Jon Shuker would charge $500 for a pickguard, no not all.

I'll stop now.[/quote]

Maybe if it was made out of pink diamonds or something...

[quote name='Marvin' post='977312' date='Oct 4 2010, 04:30 PM']I do apologise. It was a flippant remark, relating to the current furore over the price of pickguards on the site. :)

I'll stop now.[/quote]
Aha! Got you! The Fodera furore, I'm not spending so much time on the net at the moment so I missed that ref :lol:

No, I supplied the mirror blank and my drawing and pickup covers to Jon, he's doing it for the same price as you would pay for a Genuine Fender tort pickguard which to my mind are very expensive for a mass produced plastic PG. Whereas Jon has to make a custom one-off template to cut and mitre the mirror blank which is more work than making the PG, but it has to be done. He's been an absolute diamond so far, really looking forward to seeing the result!

Cheers,
N

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly there. Body is finished. I did a decent job but there are imperfections. It got to the point where I realised life is too damn short to be pissing about with Milliput and sanding blocks every day. Anyway, it looks fabulous from a few feet away.

Jon is posting the pickguard tomorrow so hopefully I'll be able to fit the John East pre to it and this bass will be fully playable this coming weekend. So pics and sound clips should be up here on Saturday :)

Edited by silddx

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='993549' date='Oct 19 2010, 02:11 PM']White basses are the way forward. Mine is due soon.[/quote]

Indeed, white basses are the best stage basses period. Hopefully mine due soon also!

It's really needing that pickguard! It should look great when it's all dressed up!