Why become a member? ×

Chris Squire Electra Evolution

xilddx

[quote name='silddx' post='1033235' date='Nov 22 2010, 09:52 PM']Here she is in action (and the Electra :)) on Saturday night at a big Bollywood charity show for St Lukes Hospice.

Bottle and Wiz, thanks for your help and very kind words :lol:[/quote]

Pimp :)

[quote name='eude' post='1033257' date='Nov 22 2010, 10:06 PM']Pimp :)[/quote]

[quote name='silddx' post='1033349' date='Nov 22 2010, 11:05 PM']I know :D[/quote]
It's the hat, right? Chicks dig the hat :)

Stay cool!

Ian

PS after being inspired by several basses with the J/MM configuration (including this build thread), I've gone and tested a Cort GB35A, which I think will get me there on a budget :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Hallo!

Looking and sounding fantastic! One of my students took a pic of me with my MPC in my studio which is still awaiting the rest of its surgery (the bass, not the studio) - the bottom horn still requires thinning down and the top is to be thinned a tad - and the lower edge of the body is still a bit pointy - the real thing is slightly flatter! The bass is at an angle (I see when I'm with you!!) too so looks a bit thin across the top side etc. Nice hat eh?

• 3 months later...

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='1045927' date='Dec 3 2010, 04:14 AM']Hallo!

Looking and sounding fantastic! One of my students took a pic of me with my MPC in my studio which is still awaiting the rest of its surgery (the bass, not the studio) - the bottom horn still requires thinning down and the top is to be thinned a tad - and the lower edge of the body is still a bit pointy - the real thing is slightly flatter! The bass is at an angle (I see when I'm with you!!) too so looks a bit thin across the top side etc. Nice hat eh?

[/quote]
Doctor, the hat looks daft, the bass looks ace! :)

What's the progress?

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='1045927' date='Dec 3 2010, 04:14 AM']Hallo!

[/quote]

Haven't I seen that Elektra somewhere before :)
Glad you started the mods, I had the damn thing for YEARS and never got round to "Squiring it" !

• 5 months later...

Sadly, I'm going to have to part this out. There are a couple of little niggles that bug me, like the pain it is to change the battery, but the worst is that the neck is moving about, absorbing moisture I think, or summat. The relief keeps changing.

Anyway, parts in the for sale thread coming!

I am after a bass that's reliable, probably a Sandberg PM or VM 4

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='1366045' date='Sep 8 2011, 08:30 AM']I think that you will regret this,i would keep it until you fall back in love with it,and sort the issues.[/quote]
+1 on that. Rockbass necks must come up fairly regularly and surely the whole point of making your own is you can work into it and improve it as and when you need to. Plenty of basses have had a battery compartment installed late in their lives for instance.

[quote name='silddx' post='1364518' date='Sep 6 2011, 07:54 PM']Sadly, I'm going to have to part this out. There are a couple of little niggles that bug me, like the pain it is to change the battery, but the worst is that the neck is moving about, absorbing moisture I think, or summat. The relief keeps changing.

Anyway, parts in the for sale thread coming!

I am after a bass that's reliable, probably a Sandberg PM or VM 4[/quote]
Dude! :lol:

Seriously? Awww man, I enjoyed reading this build thread and I can see the amount of work, love and attention to detail that went into this project. I can't believe you'd even think of parting it out.....crumbs.

Well, you and basses :) how many have you been through in the last year or two? Hehehehehe

I know you'll find that perfect bass for you, but for me it's the one I'm playing right now.

HTH, and good luck fella :)
Ian

Edited by Bottle

Guys, you're right, thanks!

I just picked up a lovely Status Vintage PJ from Happy Jack, and this will be my main bass for a while.

I think I will wait and see if I can get a real Warwick neck, fit it and fit the battery box I've had hanging around since before the build.

I just needed the money really, to get a good reliable bass that feels right. But I've sold my Roland kit which covered a fair bit of it, so I think I'm cool.

Strangely, as soon as the neck let me down, I lost a lot of my attachment to this bass, but it does play and sound great, so it will stay and get sorted at some point.

Thanks again, I need that talking to :)

Cheers,
Nx

[quote name='Clarky' post='1369002' date='Sep 11 2011, 12:45 AM']I played Happy Jack's old - and your new - Status PJ. I was sceptical about the whole Status graphite thing but the bass looked great (nice cherry coloured retro look) and the neck was a delight. Didn't feel sterile and plastick-y at all. Good score Nige[/quote]
Thanks man :) I have just lowered the action and relief, and narrowed the string spacing, it plays like a dream! The differences between it and a wood neck are imperceptible, it vibrates like wood (great tone transfer through the headstock) and sounds exactly like a wood bass unplugged. It's a cracker!

Take care, see you at the Bash I hope.

[quote name='silddx' post='1369001' date='Sep 11 2011, 12:42 AM']Guys, you're right, thanks!

I just picked up a lovely Status Vintage PJ from Happy Jack, and this will be my main bass for a while.

I think I will wait and see if I can get a real Warwick neck, fit it and fit the battery box I've had hanging around since before the build.

I just needed the money really, to get a good reliable bass that feels right. But I've sold my Roland kit which covered a fair bit of it, so I think I'm cool.

Strangely, as soon as the neck let me down, I lost a lot of my attachment to this bass, but it does play and sound great, so it will stay and get sorted at some point.

Thanks again, I need that talking to :)

Cheers,
Nx[/quote]
No worries fella, glad you've seen the light and come to your senses :)

Good luck with your new bass - hope you form that attachment to it that you've been looking for in a bass - I know I have with all of mine.

Picked up a Vintage-brand all-passive 'Ray copy a month or two back, wasn't exactly sure it was for me, and it got relegated to second or third bass, but dragged it out for a church gig last weekend, and I'm sooo glad I did - wow, what a tone monster! Maple board and flats = Win! Plus I'm defretting my PJ at the moment - it's currently knocking around at my Dad's while it gets the slots glued up. Figured I didn't need two fretted J-necked instruments with rosewood boards.....

Must say, I was also surprised you got rid of the Jazz - that was truly a thing of beauty and I'd have sold body parts to get my mitts on it :) hehehe

Best of British there, Nige

Ian