Why become a member? ×

Chris Squire Electra Evolution

xilddx

[quote name='bumnote' post='1006309' date='Oct 30 2010, 02:30 PM']wow just wow[/quote]
:)

I'm assuming that's a reaction to the cost.

But I now have a unique and very beautiful bass built to a very high spec. From what I have done through quickly testing the electronics it will sound superb, and I know it will play like a dream having already set it up and played it before spraying it. The Rockbass neck is the lowest spec part of it, but it really is a fabulous neck, very well made and with excellent fret work. I was initially tempted to use the neck on my German Corvette $$, but that would have been stupid from a financial point of view.

This bass is the first that has my heart and soul in it and already I feel a deep connection with it, like I want it to be my only bass. I may even sell my two German Corvettes. But we'll see.

Certainly does surprise one how much a self build can actually cost.

I'm currently slowly, and I stress slowly, building a BFM Jack10 - uh pay attention OP I know it's a cab but you know :lol: - and initially and naively I thought "this will come in well under £200, say £160". How wrong. It'll probably be around the £270ish mark. But like yourself silddx I want the best, so I've gone for the Baltic Birch ply as suggested which isn't cheap and I'll put the premium driver in. Just wish I had the time to get it finished quicker. :)

As an aside, when we list down the cost of individual bits of a build why does it never look like it'll come out to as much as it actually does. Your list of parts for instance does look at first glance as if it would come out to over £1000.

Looks like a quality job mate. Be chuffed you deserve to be.

[quote name='Marvin' post='1006818' date='Oct 30 2010, 10:32 PM']Certainly does surprise one how much a self build can actually cost.

I'm currently slowly, and I stress slowly, building a BFM Jack10 - uh pay attention OP I know it's a cab but you know :lol: - and initially and naively I thought "this will come in well under £200, say £160". How wrong. It'll probably be around the £270ish mark. But like yourself silddx I want the best, so I've gone for the Baltic Birch ply as suggested which isn't cheap and I'll put the premium driver in. Just wish I had the time to get it finished quicker. :)

As an aside, when we list down the cost of individual bits of a build why does it never look like it'll come out to as much as it actually does. Your list of parts for instance does look at first glance as if it would come out to over £1000.

Looks like a quality job mate. Be chuffed you deserve to be.[/quote]

I'm glad you're actually building something now after what you put in my bass build thread. It's a fun experience. I built a speaker cab too. It turned out pretty crap, mind but that's only because the teacher forced me to use completely the wrong sort of wood for the back lol.

[quote name='silddx' post='1006324' date='Oct 30 2010, 01:47 PM']:)

I'm assuming that's a reaction to the cost.

But I now have a unique and very beautiful bass built to a very high spec. From what I have done through quickly testing the electronics it will sound superb, and I know it will play like a dream having already set it up and played it before spraying it. The Rockbass neck is the lowest spec part of it, but it really is a fabulous neck, very well made and with excellent fret work. I was initially tempted to use the neck on my German Corvette $$, but that would have been stupid from a financial point of view.

This bass is the first that has my heart and soul in it and already I feel a deep connection with it, like I want it to be my only bass. I may even sell my two German Corvettes. But we'll see.[/quote]

Not at all, I didnt look at the costs, I just thought what a great bass

[quote name='Marvin' post='1006818' date='Oct 30 2010, 10:32 PM']Certainly does surprise one how much a self build can actually cost.

I'm currently slowly, and I stress slowly, building a BFM Jack10 - uh pay attention OP I know it's a cab but you know :) - and initially and naively I thought "this will come in well under £200, say £160". How wrong. It'll probably be around the £270ish mark. But like yourself silddx I want the best, so I've gone for the Baltic Birch ply as suggested which isn't cheap and I'll put the premium driver in. Just wish I had the time to get it finished quicker. :)

Looks like a quality job mate. Be chuffed you deserve to be.[/quote]
Hehe, it's funny, initially, I wanted this bass to cost me very little. I though I could scavenge the Rockbass, get the body for low cost and put it together. But as I lived with the idea for a couple of months while the body was being made, my aspirations rose rather steeply and so did the cost. It was a completely runaway reaction, nothing I could do about it :lol:

Have you got a build thread for your cab mate?

[quote name='silddx' post='1007186' date='Oct 31 2010, 11:52 AM']Hehe, it's funny, initially, I wanted this bass to cost me very little. I though I could scavenge the Rockbass, get the body for low cost and put it together. But as I lived with the idea for a couple of months while the body was being made, my aspirations rose rather steeply and so did the cost. It was a completely runaway reaction, nothing I could do about it :)[/quote]

I have just been refurbing an old acoustic 370 head and a 301 cab that i bought reasonably on e bay
If i add tech time to get the graphics working, new capacitors, fuse holders, jack sockets, iec socket, knobs, sliders, glue, paint, speaker gasket, corners oh well its only money and i havent finished yet

Edited by bumnote

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='1007040' date='Oct 31 2010, 09:55 AM']I'm glad you're actually building something now after what you put in my bass build thread. It's a fun experience. I built a speaker cab too. It turned out pretty crap, mind but that's only because the teacher forced me to use completely the wrong sort of wood for the back lol.[/quote]

Thanks EH.

[quote name='silddx' post='1007186' date='Oct 31 2010, 11:52 AM']Hehe, it's funny, initially, I wanted this bass to cost me very little. I though I could scavenge the Rockbass, get the body for low cost and put it together. But as I lived with the idea for a couple of months while the body was being made, my aspirations rose rather steeply and so did the cost. It was a completely runaway reaction, nothing I could do about it :)

Have you got a build thread for your cab mate?[/quote]

No build thread yet. I'm having to build it in my father-in-law's garage, I simply haven't got anywhere at home I can make that amount of mess :lol: So it's taking a bit of time getting anything done (so far it's just a few bits cut out unfortunately). When I've made some headway I'll get one up and running, assuming it goes to plan.

As soon as that bass has orange strings on it you MUST post pics on here :)

[quote]QUOTE (daz @ Oct 30 2010, 02:45 PM)
You've done a man's job, sir! I guess you're through, huh?[/quote]

[quote name='silddx' post='1006329' date='Oct 30 2010, 01:49 PM']I don't know about "through". Certainly skint :)[/quote]

Skint maybe, but worth it though eh? Sorry i was trying to be clever and use a quote from Blade Runner.
[quote]You've done a man's job, sir! I guess you're through, huh[/quote] Thats what Gaff says to Deckard after he fights with Batty on the roof at the end.

As for your tribute bass. I have never seen that shape before. Must admit im quite taken with it, there is something pleasing about the offset symetry of the horns.(if there is such a thing)

Edited by daz

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1007739' date='Oct 31 2010, 07:47 PM']Link to supplier, please![/quote]
Guitarsuperhero in the States [url="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290492463484"]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=290492463484[/url]

About £20 inc. shipping. They're a really good store, very quick delivery. Bargain price too. They'll want about £50 in Denmark Street and not much less at Stringbusters I shouldn't think.

[quote name='silddx' post='1009095' date='Nov 1 2010, 10:40 PM']Guitarsuperhero in the States [url="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290492463484"]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=290492463484[/url]

About £20 inc. shipping. They're a really good store, very quick delivery. Bargain price too. They'll want about £50 in Denmark Street and not much less at Stringbusters I shouldn't think.[/quote]
Ta! Will check them out.

[quote name='silddx' post='1009095' date='Nov 1 2010, 10:40 PM']Guitarsuperhero in the States [url="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290492463484"]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=290492463484[/url]

About £20 inc. shipping. They're a really good store, very quick delivery. Bargain price too. They'll want about £50 in Denmark Street and not much less at Stringbusters I shouldn't think.[/quote]Bookmarked.

Nice job there, fella

Like the pickup arrangement - those MEC pups look the dog's danglies (BTW, is the MM style pup 2-wire or 4-wire i.e. do you have it coil-tapped? Just wondering how easy it would be for me to retro-fit one into a project bass)

How are you getting on with the East Pre?

Take care. Hope to see you at the SE bash in a few weeks

Ian

[quote name='Bottle' post='1009436' date='Nov 2 2010, 11:28 AM']Nice job there, fella

Like the pickup arrangement - those MEC pups look the dog's danglies (BTW, is the MM style pup 2-wire or 4-wire i.e. do you have it coil-tapped? Just wondering how easy it would be for me to retro-fit one into a project bass)

How are you getting on with the East Pre?

Take care. Hope to see you at the SE bash in a few weeks

Ian[/quote]
Hello mate.

Yep, four wire. Not tapped, the East does everything I need it to I reckon so it's just the hot and cold going into it.

I haven't got the bass set up yet as I'm waiting for a bridge part from Hipshot. Then I will give it the ful works and stick a review on here.

I've only had a quick play with the East hile checking it all works and I wired it correctly. But it sounds amazingly versatile. Can't wait to get the bass fully sorted.

Cheers.

Finished!

The Hipshot part arrived today, well, actually they sent me the full set of four bridge rollers, 4 grub screws and 8 saddle height screws! Fabulous! Spares for life :)

I got the electronics finally sorted. The bridge MM was seriously under weight compared to the neck SC so I pissed about with the wiring and worked out black was hot on the MM (it's red on the SC). Got that sorted and balanced the pups. Checked stuff, and re-checked stuff. I decided the DR Black Beauties would look better than the Orange Neons plus I was desperately impatient to get it all finished. The Neons will go on my white Corvette fretless and they will own the room.

I've been playing the bass for a few hours and I adore it! It works, everything! It sounds fantastic! I can't get enough of it and I don't want to put it down.

Full hand on heart review, sound clips and YT vid within the next week.

Cheers all, you've been such great support, help and encouragement :)