Why become a member? ×

Chris Squire Electra Evolution

xilddx

[quote name='eude' post='908037' date='Jul 28 2010, 11:53 AM']That you can, but you can't "un-file" a nut.
The Just-a-nut means you can lower and raise the night to your hearts content without ever having to replace it...

Eude[/quote]

Ah OK. So it's if you are unsure or the stock nut isn't to your liking. I have to get my head out of custom guitar mode! I can see the benefit in that. A stock Warwick bass with a too deeply filed nut for your preference can be raised. Got ya. I suppose it's a more elegant solution than building back up the nut with resin and nut dust. (nut dust oo-er!)

It does looks cool anyway. I may have to investigate further. Is the JAN III the same size as a standard nut?

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='908049' date='Jul 28 2010, 11:59 AM']Ah OK. So it's if you are unsure or the stock nut isn't to your liking. I have to get my head out of custom guitar mode! I can see the benefit in that. A stock Warwick bass with a too deeply filed nut for your preference can be raised. Got ya. I suppose it's a more elegant solution than building back up the nut with resin and nut dust. (nut dust oo-er!)

It does looks cool anyway. I may have to investigate further. Is the JAN III the same size as a standard nut?[/quote]
All Warwick nuts are exactly the same and are moulded, so they are never an issue. All Warwicks are fitted with the JANII wherever they are made.

The normal JANIII is the same as the special brass one but made from some sort of compound plastic. You never get a problem with a Warwick nut. Two standard widths and versions for 4, 5, 6 string etc.

That's why I love Warwick so much, elegant ergonomic solutions to all the common problems. Their QC is incredible too.

Edited by silddx

I had a lovely chat with John East just now and he's recommended a new version of the U-Retro 01 5 knob for my custom build, which is what I'm going for.

He's such a top man! Really helpful and took time to explain many things when he must be really busy.

[quote name='silddx' post='909139' date='Jul 29 2010, 12:35 PM']I had a lovely chat with John East just now and he's recommended a new version of the U-Retro 01 5 knob for my custom build, which is what I'm going for.

He's such a top man! Really helpful and took time to explain many things when he must be really busy.[/quote]

Aye top bloke. You'll have no problems with the U-Retro in there.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='909152' date='Jul 29 2010, 12:48 PM']Aye top bloke. You'll have no problems with the U-Retro in there.[/quote]
I am very excited about it actually. It sounds the absolute dog's nadgers.

I mentioned I'd had a lot of recommendations for East on Basschat, and he says, are you a member? I said yes, he said ah, you get a 10% discount then!

Wickid!!

[quote name='eude' post='908037' date='Jul 28 2010, 11:53 AM']That you can, but you can't "un-file" a nut.
The Just-a-nut means you can lower and raise the night to your hearts content without ever having to replace it...

Eude[/quote]

but you could replace a standard nut 16 times over with the price of it! Sorry. I think it's a great idea, but not worth £80.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='909362' date='Jul 29 2010, 03:51 PM']but you could replace a standard nut 16 times over with the price of it! Sorry. I think it's a great idea, but not worth £80.[/quote]

Fair point dude :)

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='909362' date='Jul 29 2010, 03:51 PM']but you could replace a standard nut 16 times over with the price of it! Sorry. I think it's a great idea, but not worth £80.[/quote]
The standard moulded composite one is only about £25 though.

The good thing is that you always know your nut will fit perfectly.

The reason I went for the JANIII is because the Rockbass was older stock and came with A JANII which, conversely is an awful piece of design :) the reason I got the Brass one is because it's going on a very special bass, and it looks lovely.

[quote name='silddx' post='909376' date='Jul 29 2010, 04:01 PM']The standard moulded composite one is only about £25 though.

The good thing is that you always know your nut will fit perfectly.

The reason I went for the JANIII is because the Rockbass was older stock and came with A JANII which, conversely is an awful piece of design :) the reason I got the Brass one is because it's going on a very special bass, and it looks lovely.[/quote]

£25 sounds a bit more reasonable to me.

The Hipshot Ultralite tuners and the Hipshot D-Tuner arrived this morning. The Ultralites really are light, they weigh NOTHING! Superbly made, great design.

They all look so beautiful in gold, I am dribbling like a pale Staines scragbag on her furteenf burfday :)

Just received the John East preamp!

All I have to do now is get the body and the mirror pickguard sorted. Delay on the body but will have it at the end of this month.

Jon Shuker will be making the mirror PG for me from my WD blank.

The bass should be complete in less than six weeks. Seems like a bloody long time at the moment! I should fill some of it in by posting the parts and price list.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='925905' date='Aug 15 2010, 09:59 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Electra-MPC-Outlaw-X610-Bass-/270592922972?pt=Guitar"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Electra-MPC-Outlaw-X...22972?pt=Guitar[/url]

oooooh, i like this one.[/quote]
It's been up there for ages, they keep relisting it. The asking price is too much I reckon.

[quote name='paul h' post='922411' date='Aug 12 2010, 10:15 AM']End of the month????

We can't wait that long![/quote]
I know, I know. I'm desperate to get hold of it!

However, the paint I got from Tonetech is pre-catalysed nitrocellulose so it will be dry enough to sand back after a week, then leave for two days to ensure it's hard enough to polish. So the fisnished bass will be ready quicker than originally planned.

I'll need to put the bass together before painting though, to make sure everything is aligned and distanced properly. I've just realised for instance that my pickguard design is too big to acommodate the Hipshot Rickenbacker bridge, and the control route may be too big to make the pickguard much smaller, but I should be able to just get away with it!

Edited by silddx

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this thread. Really interesting build! Just wanted to say...

[quote name='silddx' post='910477' date='Jul 30 2010, 05:44 PM']Looks lovely and weighs ... 1.5lbs :rolleyes:[/quote]
Holy f***! That's just... that's just... wow. Definitely no neck-dive worries. With that much weight down the bottom, you might have more of a problem with the headstock swinging up and clocking you one in the face. :)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='937207' date='Aug 26 2010, 02:55 PM']Just found this thread. Really interesting build! Just wanted to say...

Holy f***! That's just... that's just... wow. Definitely no neck-dive worries. With that much weight down the bottom, you might have more of a problem with the headstock swinging up and clocking you one in the face. :rolleyes:[/quote]
Quite! :)

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='938359' date='Aug 27 2010, 07:09 PM']Lolz i don't know exactly how much that is in grams but it's definetly less than the weight of a jar of jam xP[/quote]
:)

It is the weight of one and a half jars of Garner's Pickled Shallots.

700gms