Why become a member? ×

Chris Squire Electra Evolution

xilddx

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='887654' date='Jul 6 2010, 07:00 PM']Could could be worth a shot. At least you have some options with heavy mass hardware. (lead in the control cavity?! :rolleyes: )

Found this picture to have a look at what mass bridge it has got on it originally......

[b]Pretty chunky then... and horns seem to be around 14th fret.[/b][/quote]
And apparently they neck dive :) But that looks like a lot of weight on the headstock.

Thanks for the pic, I couldn't find one as useful as that yesterday.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' post='887658' date='Jul 6 2010, 07:05 PM']And apparently they neck dive :) But that looks like a lot of weight on the headstock.

Thanks for the pic, I couldn't find one as useful as that yesterday.[/quote]

Must admit that the neck dive doesn't surprise me. Check the archives in the for sale section for pics - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=67644"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=67644[/url] - you were on that thread! Some good close up pictures. The lower horn is surprising!

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='887680' date='Jul 6 2010, 07:16 PM']Must admit that the neck dive doesn't surprise me. Check the archives in the for sale section for pics - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=67644"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=67644[/url] - you were on that thread! Some good close up pictures. The lower horn is surprising![/quote]
I looked at it yesterday and was thinking of talking to Nick about dimensions and, weight and balance. But it doesn't have the CS mods. Also there are a lot of cavities in the MPC Electras which mine won't have.

Edited by silddx

I've done some measuring, weighing and comparison with my Corvettes and have come to the conclusion that it's a small risk of head dive. Since I think I can mitigate this risk somewhat, I'm going with my original drawing which is more in keeping with the CS Electra, and more beautiful in its proportions. If it all works out I am going to be absolutely delighted!

Really appreciate your help and suggestions so far EBS :)

[quote name='throwoff' post='888197' date='Jul 7 2010, 10:54 AM']I am a tad confused!

Which RockBass did you strip, I have not seen a RockBass with MM/J[/quote]

This one I believe >> [url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Warwick-Rockbass-Streamer-Blackhawk-4-String-Bass-Black/9M5"]http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/...-Bass-Black/9M5[/url]

Eude

[quote name='silddx' post='887891' date='Jul 6 2010, 10:53 PM'][/quote]

I see you can get this in brass. Wonder how much that weighs?! That would go some way to offsetting any neck dive!

That bridge certainly looks pretty thin at the bottom - with the neck set ito the body correctly, you should be able to get some crazy low action. Looks like that black example has had this bridge fitted. Do the CS mods include a change to the original bridge? What should the bridge on these things look like?

[quote name='eude' post='888199' date='Jul 7 2010, 10:55 AM']This one I believe >> [url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Warwick-Rockbass-Streamer-Blackhawk-4-String-Bass-Black/9M5"]http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/...-Bass-Black/9M5[/url]

Eude[/quote]
That's the beast! It is an excellent bass actually. The neck, while not as lovely as my German girls, is very nice to play, excellent fretwork, highly polished rosewood board and a nicely figured three piece maple neck. Looks and feel quite old-school. The pups and tuners are the usual German Warwick, the one-piece bridge is really nice too. The body is Carolena wood whatever that is but it's very well finished. A bargain really, way better than the Flea Bass as a entry level/intermediate bass. The pickups are really good so I've decided to keep them, the SC is seriously throaty, mean sounding.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='888212' date='Jul 7 2010, 11:15 AM']I see you can get this in brass. Wonder how much that weighs?! That would go some way to offsetting any neck dive!

That bridge certainly looks pretty thin at the bottom - with the neck set ito the body correctly, you should be able to get some crazy low action. Looks like that black example has had this bridge fitted. Do the CS mods include a change to the original bridge? What should the bridge on these things look like?[/quote]
CS's has a lot of mods, the body shape and the bridge being two of them. It think the originals had the Ricky style bridge which I quite like. And as per your thinking, I reckon the brass one has to be pretty weighty and it will be in the most effective place.

I looked at the O-Rings and don't like the look so I'll probably get gold Warwick knobs which are heavy too.

[quote name='silddx' post='887924' date='Jul 6 2010, 11:17 PM']White, black and gold?? How classy can one be? :)[/quote]

Well, try it but if I don't like it you'll have to change it :lol: :rolleyes:
I like the body shape looks the business. The black one on this thread looks like the neck doesn't go very far into the body or am I not looking at it correctly?

I must admit to preferring minimal and or sleek design or industrial. Nice review of the Rockbass always wondered what they were like.

[quote name='Marvin' post='888812' date='Jul 7 2010, 06:46 PM'][b]Well, try it but if I don't like it you'll have to change it :rolleyes: :) [/b]
I like the body shape looks the business. The black one on this thread looks like the neck doesn't go very far into the body or am I not looking at it correctly?

I must admit to preferring minimal and or sleek design or industrial. Nice review of the Rockbass always wondered what they were like.[/quote]
:lol:

Mine's a 24 fret neck, the real thing is 22, hence mine going further in.

I mocked it up in Photoshop this afternoon and although the vision of gold in my head looks lovely, the gold in the mock up doesn't look right. We'll have to see when the body's finished in white and get a feel for it. I may end up going for black hardware.

Yeah, the Rockbass is stunning for the money. It needed a damn good set up when I got it, but after vigorous truss rod adjustment and the saddles tweaked, it was a good low action and played a treat. Then I took the whole bass apart.

[quote name='silddx' post='890425' date='Jul 9 2010, 02:11 PM']OK, Gold or Black hardware?[/quote]

BLACK!
Gold just looks tacky to my eye, on pretty much all basses.

I'd also see if you can get the headstock painted to match and design yourself up some nice graphics for it.
There's loads of places that custom print vinyl or waterslide decals on line...

Eude

[quote name='eude' post='890427' date='Jul 9 2010, 02:13 PM']BLACK!
Gold just looks tacky to my eye, on pretty much all basses.

I'd also see if you can get the headstock painted to match and design yourself up some nice graphics for it.
There's loads of places that custom print vinyl or waterslide decals on line...

Eude[/quote]
Cheers mate.

I'll be painting the headstock black, and I will be getting a decal. Also going to have bowtie inlays on the 'board.

[quote name='silddx' post='890435' date='Jul 9 2010, 02:22 PM']Cheers mate.

I'll be painting the headstock black, and I will be getting a decal. Also going to have bowtie inlays on the 'board.[/quote]

Sounds good matey!
Looking forward to seeing it all done!

Gold [size=6]NO![/size]

I think I might go with AH on this one and say Chrome, for possibly two reasons.
First to carry on the 'shinny' theme with regard to the mirror scratch plate (you are having a mirror scratch aren't you? That is what you said? :) )
Second, it may look too similar to the fretless corvette.

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='silddx' post='890661' date='Jul 9 2010, 06:16 PM']It will never sport any chrome, chrome is only for guitars :rolleyes:[/quote]

Tish, tish. I think you must have suffered a bump to your noggin' man. :lol:

[quote name='silddx' post='890661' date='Jul 9 2010, 06:16 PM']I am very tempted to go for gold, as it were.[/quote]
:lol:

'Going for, going for, going for gold. '
All sing along now. :)

[quote name='silddx' post='890661' date='Jul 9 2010, 06:16 PM']It will never sport any chrome, chrome is only for guitars :)

I am very tempted to go for gold, as it were.[/quote]

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='887654' date='Jul 6 2010, 07:00 PM'][/quote]

^ That one seems to wear chrome quite well.

I think black hardware on white basses looks a bit odd. The white Thunderbirds to me never looks as good. As for gold..... it's a bit Vicky Pollard, isn't it?