Why become a member? ×

Chris Squire Electra Evolution

xilddx

[quote name='silddx' post='900823' date='Jul 21 2010, 11:24 AM']Right, everything is with my mate now, he's going to make the body and grain fill it for me and give it a coat of sealer. Then he's going to cut the mirror pickguard. I am rather excited :)[/quote]

Result.

I have just ordered the hardware.

Gold Hipshot Ultralite GB7 Tuners
Gold Hipshot Bass D-Tuner
Black (to match the pickups) Hipshot Rickenbacker Brass Bridge
Gold Warwick Knobs x 4
Black knob for the Villex Rotary Booster
Black mini toggle switches x 2
Gold Warwick Barrel Jack
Gold Warwick Straplocks

It's going to be strung with DR Black Beauties so I reckon I have a perfect balance of black and gold on a white body with a black headstock. It's going to look sick!

[quote name='Marvin' post='904637' date='Jul 25 2010, 11:46 AM']Probably, I've got no taste :) :rolleyes:[/quote]
Wait til you see it, I have a god-like vision :lol:

Anyway, Adam has started the body, making it from 47mm Seraya Mahogany. He reckons it should be ready in a week or so!

[quote name='Marvin' post='888812' date='Jul 7 2010, 06:46 PM']Well, try it but if I don't like it you'll have to change it :lol: :)
I like the body shape looks the business. The black one on this thread looks like the neck doesn't go very far into the body or am I not looking at it correctly?

I must admit to preferring minimal and or sleek design or industrial. Nice review of the Rockbass always wondered what they were like.[/quote]

[quote name='silddx' post='905511' date='Jul 26 2010, 09:51 AM']Wait til you see it, I have a god-like vision :rolleyes:

Anyway, Adam has started the body, making it from 47mm Seraya Mahogany. He reckons it should be ready in a week or so![/quote]

I refer the honourable member to the post I made some....time ago. :lol:

Best of, and all that, I actually await with eagerness now your man has said slab of timber. (must stop watching Jeeves and Wooster).

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='906719' date='Jul 27 2010, 09:47 AM']Guitar electronics is rather simple. Expecially compared to amps lolz. Help with what exactly?[/quote]
All seems really complex to me!

I'm getting the pickup resistance values tomorrow, but I want a three way pup selector, tone and vol for both pups, series/parallel/coil-tap switch for the HB, villex rotary booster.

Sounds complicated to me! Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Hallo!

Been away for a bit developing my ESP and healing powers but hey, rock and roll still pays the mortgage!

Ian (Ebasses) Hancock and I have started to `convert' my Electra to the Squire spec - problem is, I use it all the time and thus the mods are still under development! I've located some Schaller machine heads and the right version of the Badass bridge as per Chris' bass - Ian is going to refinish it and will have a polished stainless steel scratchplate made too!

The only pics I have are sh*te but will upload em once they are on photobucket. The top horn needs slimming down a bit and the bottom horn is still too thick but this will be sorted!! Balance-wise, it sits very well, no neck dive to speak of! Oh, best of luck with this project!

Cheers!

Nick

[quote name='silddx' post='907101' date='Jul 27 2010, 02:01 PM']All seems really complex to me!

I'm getting the pickup resistance values tomorrow, but I want a three way pup selector, tone and vol for both pups, series/parallel/coil-tap switch for the HB, villex rotary booster.

Sounds complicated to me! Any help is greatly appreciated :)[/quote]

Doesn't sound too bad to me.

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='907374' date='Jul 27 2010, 05:40 PM']Hallo!

Been away for a bit developing my ESP and healing powers but hey, rock and roll still pays the mortgage!

Ian (Ebasses) Hancock and I have started to `convert' my Electra to the Squire spec - problem is, I use it all the time and thus the mods are still under development! I've located some Schaller machine heads and the right version of the Badass bridge as per Chris' bass - Ian is going to refinish it and will have a polished stainless steel scratchplate made too!

The only pics I have are sh*te but will upload em once they are on photobucket. The top horn needs slimming down a bit and the bottom horn is still too thick but this will be sorted!! Balance-wise, it sits very well, no neck dive to speak of! Oh, best of luck with this project!

Cheers!

Nick[/quote]
Oh man, you are going ahead with that! Fantastic! Boy are you going to get some stick :) I can't wait to see it.

I must admit I was thinking of asking you if you wouldn't mind doing a little measuring for me, but I just got on with it in the end. Do you have solid info on the CS mods? Or are you relying on various photos and what have you? Mine is a tribute so it bears little resemblance to CS's, but the visual essence will be there. Just praying the balance will be ok, but the mahogany body will be about 46mm thick and the hardware is heavy weight.

Good luck with yours, Nick!

Cheers.

[quote name='silddx' post='907942' date='Jul 28 2010, 10:42 AM']The Warwick stuff arrived yesterday. The brass JAN III isn't as pretty as it looks in the picture on the Warwick site, but it's still very tasty, don't know if it's worth 98 Euro though. The gold knobs are seriously weighty. Good.[/quote]

The JAN III nut - what's the advantage of it? Presumably because it's in 2 pieces, if you need the top bit replacing/change guage strings you can just drop in a new top? Or am I missing something. Fairly pricey!

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='908007' date='Jul 28 2010, 11:35 AM']The JAN III nut - what's the advantage of it? Presumably because it's in 2 pieces, if you need the top bit replacing/change guage strings you can just drop in a new top? Or am I missing something. Fairly pricey![/quote]
The JAN III is a great piece of design. It's main advantage is you can adjust nut height on both sides very easily.

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='907995' date='Jul 28 2010, 11:21 AM']I'm excited to see this. Is there going to be a fish on it?[/quote]
Since Yes had a few fishy things going on in their songs and album covers, you bet yo ass there will be a fish on it :)

[quote name='silddx' post='908016' date='Jul 28 2010, 11:40 AM']The JAN III is a great piece of design. It's main advantage is you can adjust nut height on both sides very easily.[/quote]

Nup, still lost. You can file a nut appropriately to get different height?

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='908033' date='Jul 28 2010, 11:50 AM']Nup, still lost. You can file a nut appropriately to get different height?[/quote]

That you can, but you can't "un-file" a nut.
The Just-a-nut means you can lower and raise the night to your hearts content without ever having to replace it...

Eude