Why become a member? ×

Chris Squire Electra Evolution

xilddx

[quote name='alexharvay' post='891187' date='Jul 10 2010, 11:27 AM']^ That one seems to wear chrome quite well.

I think black hardware on white basses looks a bit odd. The white Thunderbirds to me never looks as good. As for gold..... it's a bit Vicky Pollard, isn't it?[/quote]
We definitely have an aesthetic clash Alex :)

And Vicky Pollard couldn't afford Hipshot, she's more of an Allparts kinda gal.

I'm actually toying with a white gently textured snake-skin finish at the moment, that will look lovely with a bit of gold. It's all about balance with design, I reckon I'm up to getting the balance, but it's not going to be to everyone's taste. I quite like Josh Dunham's white and gold patterned Ritter, and i usually hate Ritters.

Can you do anything with the pickups - maybe spray them white? I think the gold might better without the "bulk" of the black pickups right next to it. Though I know that's only a render and it's hard to picture it correctly.

I think gold on white/black can look quite nice.

I'm thinking of this.

Looks quite nice to me, but I have been accused of having little or no taste.

I assume that is the sort of colour scheme you had in mind.

Edited by arsenic

[quote name='arsenic' post='891810' date='Jul 11 2010, 10:27 AM']I think gold on white/black can look quite nice.

I'm thinking of this.

Looks quite nice to me, but I have been accused of having little or no taste.

I assume that is the sort of colour scheme you had in mind.[/quote]
That's a great example of why I think the scheme works, thanks! And clearly you have impeccable taste :)

Have you considered a white finish, and routing the control cavity from the back of the body, and no pickguard.

Or a w/b/w pickguard - keeps the white look all over, but the visible pinstripe of black would define the edge - could look very nice - giving a tiny accent/frame to the black pickups.

Any idea on what the electrics/controls are going to be for this?

Although this is not going to be exactly like Chris Squire's, I do want to keep the main elements and I like the mirror plate, I think it will look very snazzy!

I'm not decided about the electronics yet. I wanted to keep it passive but I may go for active. If I do go active I'll go for a three band eq.

Edited by silddx

Mmm, my luthier mate has now suggested he can do a 38mm mahogany body with a 6mm maple cap! Sweet!

As far as the electronics are looking, it could be:

3-way pickup selector switch.

[b]MM HB[/b] - Vol / Tone / Villex / Series/Parallel switch / Coil Tap switch.

[b]J SC[/b] - Vol / Tone / Villex / Series/Parallel switch.

silddx... hows this for food for thought...?

How about getting the body finished, flattened and polished...

Then flatten it down to a matt, satin finish.

Then... mask off a design with something like some sticky vinyl.

Then... if the vinyl is sticky enough, put it on the polishing wheel to polish up the bits of the body that aren't covered by the vinyl/mask.
Or... if the vinyl isn't sticky enough to resist the polishing wheel, do an off the gun lacquer finish on the bits that aren't covered by the vinyl/mask.

Remove the masking.... and then you'll get a solid colour bass, with a mix of shiny/satin pattern. Looks pretty cool.

(Similar to a spot varnish finish in the magazine world)

PS - seems a bit pointless getting a maple cap if you are still going for a scratchplate. I would either ditch the scratchplate (and go rear routed) or go with a transparent plate... but that's like putting a condom over your sofa...

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='898947' date='Jul 19 2010, 02:00 PM']silddx... hows this for food for thought...?

How about getting the body finished, flattened and polished...

Then flatten it down to a matt, satin finish.

Then... mask off a design with something like some sticky vinyl.

Then... if the vinyl is sticky enough, put it on the polishing wheel to polish up the bits of the body that aren't covered by the vinyl/mask.
Or... if the vinyl isn't sticky enough to resist the polishing wheel, do an off the gun lacquer finish on the bits that aren't covered by the vinyl/mask.

Remove the masking.... and then you'll get a solid colour bass, with a mix of shiny/satin pattern. Looks pretty cool.

(Similar to a spot varnish finish in the magazine world)[/quote]
That's a nice idea EBS! I will consider something like that.

[quote name='silddx' post='898913' date='Jul 19 2010, 01:30 PM']Mmm, my luthier mate has now suggested he can do a 38mm mahogany body with a 6mm maple cap! Sweet!

As far as the electronics are looking, it could be:

3-way pickup selector switch.

[b]MM HB[/b] - Vol / Tone / Villex / Series/Parallel switch / Coil Tap switch.

[b]J SC[/b] - Vol / Tone / Villex / Series/Parallel switch.[/quote]

Built in flanger :) ?

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='898952' date='Jul 19 2010, 02:03 PM']PS - seems a bit pointless getting a maple cap if you are still going for a scratchplate. I would either ditch the scratchplate (and go rear routed) or go with a transparent plate... but that's like putting a condom over your sofa...[/quote]
This maple cap isn't going to be a pretty one. It is purely there as a body thickener with the addition of possibly brightening the tone a little. The bass will be solid white.

Good call, EBS! I used to be a calligrapher and I have books full of beautiful medieval patterns and designs. I particularly adore William Morris acanthus patterns. I could sort something out along those lines. Great food for thought, thank you!

I remembered seeing the lacework trick on Pimp My Ride! Ha ha. I was disgusted in myself that I actually thought to myself... "now thats cool". It would certainly make for a unique bass.

I don't think I have ever seen a satin/gloss mix on a bass though... that could be the business. Eitherway, as I say, food for thought to make the project a bit different.

I'd certainly match up the headstock too.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='899699' date='Jul 20 2010, 08:36 AM']I remembered seeing the lacework trick on Pimp My Ride! Ha ha. I was disgusted in myself that I actually thought to myself... "now thats cool". It would certainly make for a unique bass.

I don't think I have ever seen a satin/gloss mix on a bass though... that could be the business. Eitherway, as I say, food for thought to make the project a bit different.

I'd certainly match up the headstock too.[/quote]
I once used fishnet stocking over a guitar body to get a snakeskin effect when spraying. Worked brilliantly!

I am not a fan of matched headstocks, except on the occasional Fender. But I'll see how things take shape.

Cheers.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='899979' date='Jul 20 2010, 01:30 PM']If it was me I'd match the whole neck too. But I'm weird like that![/quote]
I quite like that look too, but not on a bolt on. I actually like the idea of a painted fingerboard.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='900207' date='Jul 20 2010, 04:04 PM']Good luck with the frets already in place!![/quote]
Mask the 'board, paint PVA on the frets, remove masking, spray the board, remove PVA before paint dries. Lacquer the 'board and remove the lacquer from the fret tops when dry. That's how I'd probably do it.