Why become a member? ×

String tension

Lysdexia

Hi guys. A very simple problem it might seem, but a battle I'm tired of fighting.

I [i]detest [/i]hi-tension playability. It strips all the fun out of bass playing for me. I don't know if this has something to do with scale, type of string and string gauge (probably all three) but I'd really like to have an understanding so I can always have the low-tension playability I prefer.

So, Ric strings on a Ric bass - very bendy - lovely! My previous Yamaha Attitude Special with Ernie Ball 40-100 was also close to perfect in the low-tension stakes. However, my current Ibanez DW3 bass with 45-105 strings of unknown type is a nightmare for me. It's so tight! Far too tense - a battle rather than a joy.

I love to wobble and bend, but I also love to do this with ease so if anyone can offer suggestions or an insight to a good solution.

It's really important because I'm desperate to be back on the Fenders, but would like to know which strings to buy to provide the free-flowing low-tension I so desire. would I always be better with a shorter scale bass like the Ric rather than the DW3?

TIA for any help!

A straight neck, lighter gauge strings and lower action all help. Sounds like the neck in your Ibanez is still fighting the string tension. How new is it? You might have to give it some serious gigging over a couple of years for the instrument to settle down.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='885116' date='Jul 3 2010, 10:42 PM']A straight neck, lighter gauge strings and lower action all help. Sounds like the neck in your Ibanez is still fighting the string tension. How new is it? You might have to give it some serious gigging over a couple of years for the instrument to settle down.[/quote]

I'm not sure how old it is, but it doesn't really matter because the scale (neck length?) is too much for me and so it will be appearing on here for sale pretty shortly. A real pity because the tonal delivery is awesome.

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='885162' date='Jul 4 2010, 12:28 AM']I'd suggest DR high beam strings! They're made with a pretty unique round core that makes them really flexible and great to play :)[/quote]

I'd heard rumours about the DR strings :rolleyes:

Would anyone know if the Marcus Miller ones have the same wobble/bend/flex characteristics? Having had a quick check on-line the idea of low-tension strings retaining a full sound does it for me!

[url="http://www.liutaiomottola.com/myth/perception.htm"]http://www.liutaiomottola.com/myth/perception.htm[/url]

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='885162' date='Jul 3 2010, 11:28 PM']I'd suggest DR high beam strings! They're made with a pretty unique round core that makes them really flexible and great to play :)[/quote]

And there's nothing unique about a round core. Round core is the original. What's different, although not unique, about DR's winding process is the use of compression.

[quote name='Lysdexia' post='885185' date='Jul 4 2010, 01:12 AM']I'd heard rumours about the DR strings :lol:

Would anyone know if the Marcus Miller ones have the same wobble/bend/flex characteristics? Having had a quick check on-line the idea of low-tension strings retaining a full sound does it for me![/quote]

The marcus miller's are the same yeah :)

Most other strings these days are made with a Hex core which generally makes the string have a tighter feel than round core ones

from DR website:

Hi-Beam stainless steel bass strings are round wound and constructed upon a round core which is unique in the industry. Hi-Beams require much more time, care, and extra steps to make than other bass strings. The extra effort DR expends making Hi-Beams results in a bass string that is highly flexible, musically bright (not harshly bright) and renowned for durability,unusually long life, consistency, and string-to-string balance. They don’t eat your frets. HI-BEAMS are the string to choose for brightness, punch and ease of playing.

the Marcus Miller fat beams are just like a custom version of the above :rolleyes:

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='885272' date='Jul 4 2010, 10:10 AM']the Marcus Miller fat beams are just like a custom version of the above :rolleyes:[/quote]

Marcus Miller 40-100 it is then.

I can buy these for £13.20 online from the US or the cheapest I can find them UK is £25 from eBay :)

Aren't almost all DR strings round core?

I sometimes use Sunbeams and I know they are round core.

The medium set are a nice mid way point for a lot of people as they go 45 65 80 100 - effectively 'standard' gauge for G & D but lighter for A & E.

Really nice strings and I find them pretty flexible :)

[quote name='molan' post='885304' date='Jul 4 2010, 11:00 AM']Aren't almost all DR strings round core?

I sometimes use Sunbeams and I know they are round core.

The medium set are a nice mid way point for a lot of people as they go 45 65 80 100 - effectively 'standard' gauge for G & D but lighter for A & E.

Really nice strings and I find them pretty flexible :)[/quote]

i think any of the Beams (high beams, fat beams, sun beams etc) are round core

the rest are hex! :rolleyes:

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='885307' date='Jul 4 2010, 11:04 AM']i think any of the Beams (high beams, fat beams, sun beams etc) are round core

the rest are hex! :rolleyes:[/quote]

Ah ha - that would make sense, I was very lazy and only looked at three different DR string specs and they were all 'beams'!

My only excuse is that the DR site was running at the speed of a slug and I couldn't be arsed to wait for the pages to turn :)

[quote name='molan' post='885314' date='Jul 4 2010, 11:10 AM']Ah ha - that would make sense, I was very lazy and only looked at three different DR string specs and they were all 'beams'!

My only excuse is that the DR site was running at the speed of a slug and I couldn't be arsed to wait for the pages to turn :)[/quote]

haha :rolleyes:

great strings aren't they!

are you getting along with your will lee?

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='885316' date='Jul 4 2010, 11:13 AM']haha :)

great strings aren't they!

are you getting along with your will lee?[/quote]

Gigged it on Friday & it was great. So light and that narrow neck makes it a joy to whizz around on. If I could only keep one J shaped bass then the Celinder would just edge it but that's a purely personal 'tone' thing as I find the Celinder a little 'sweeter'.

Back on topic for a second - I was trying strings out on Friday and swapped between three different brands very quickly (tried each set twice!) on the same bass and the Sunbeams were my favourite over my usual Elixirs. The Elixir were smoother to the touch but the Sunbeams had a great 'crunchy' tone which I preferred.
:rolleyes:

I do think there's an element of different strings working better on different basses though - I was using a Fodera which is pretty 'critical' of just about every input (shows up my rubbish technique a treat!) and you could really hear the differences in each string.

I ended up putting the original Fodera strings back on but only because they are a super light gauge, 40 - 95, and I liked the super slinky feel of these. Kinda fancy trying some 35 - 95's now. . .

The best strings I've found for wooden necked basses are the DR FatBeams 40-100 sets. They have massive tone and feel light and flexible at the same time.

The best overall solution to playability/flexibility/speed are graphite necks (very rigid) with light gauge strings. I use 30-90 or 30-115 on my Status basses. Nothing more bendable anywhere in my experience. :)

i've just started using 40-100,125 ("lite") set of DR sunbeams on my 35" scale bass. it feels like now I've got back the flexibility I was missing from 34" scale basses, and the narrower gauge feels better under my fingers too.
Definitely would recommend the sunbeams if you want a warmer tone out of the box.

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='885272' date='Jul 4 2010, 09:10 AM']The marcus miller's are the same yeah :)

Most other strings these days are made with a Hex core which generally makes the string have a tighter feel than round core ones

from DR website:

Hi-Beam stainless steel bass strings are round wound and constructed upon a round core which is unique in the industry. Hi-Beams require much more time, care, and extra steps to make than other bass strings. The extra effort DR expends making Hi-Beams results in a bass string that is highly flexible, musically bright (not harshly bright) and renowned for durability,unusually long life, consistency, and string-to-string balance. They don’t eat your frets. HI-BEAMS are the string to choose for brightness, punch and ease of playing.

the Marcus Miller fat beams are just like a custom version of the above :rolleyes:[/quote]

"Unique" not in that the core is round but in that the core is treated in a specific way before it receives the core wrap. But it's not whether the core is round or shaped that influences how "tight" a string feels but the ratio of the core to the wrap. Setting aside discussion of ratio, and limiting discussion to the core: a string with a larger core is stiffer and feels more resistant than a string with a smaller core. Understanding this, and assuming like materials, it's then possible to examine how the ratio of the wrap to wrap influences the characteristics of the string: a string with a larger first wrap will be bright and flexible but lack volume and sustain compared to a string with a smaller first wrap. There are a lot of exaggerated - and unsubstantiated - claims made by string manufacturers, and it really is unwise to rely on the marketing puff utilised by any particularly manufacturer. (Remember, all the string manufacturers purchase their raw materials from the very small number of wire manufacturers.)