Why become a member? ×

Bassists worst nightmare?

Magnolia

Bummer.
When I broke my arm a couple of years ago I carried on gigging on keyboard bass. Actually was a good experience, made me approach stuff from a different angle etc. Also stopped me from getting tetchy about the injury,and gave me something to concentrate on.
Worth considering - hope things improve soon.

[quote name='casapete' post='883799' date='Jul 2 2010, 10:59 AM']Bummer.
When I broke my arm a couple of years ago I carried on gigging on keyboard bass. Actually was a good experience, made me approach stuff from a different angle etc. Also stopped me from getting tetchy about the injury,and gave me something to concentrate on.
Worth considering - hope things improve soon.[/quote]
+1 - you don't need a bass to play bass, or even 2 arms!

[quote name='El Bajo' post='883858' date='Jul 2 2010, 12:27 PM']How did you get repetative strain on your thumb?[/quote]

I anchor my thumb on top of the pickup, and where im quite a heavy handed player press down quite hard with it. Balls!

[quote name='Magnolia' post='883909' date='Jul 2 2010, 01:02 PM']I anchor my thumb on top of the pickup, and where im quite a heavy handed player press down quite hard with it. Balls![/quote]
damn, sounds just like me..... better lay off it a bit then.

[quote name='Colledge' post='883923' date='Jul 2 2010, 01:15 PM']damn, sounds just like me..... better lay off it a bit then.[/quote]

Its got to the point where is hurt quite a bit just to grip things, and even when i write with a pen. I know i probably have bad technique so has prob taught me to adjust it a bit. Best to do it before prolems flair up though!

[quote name='BassMunkee' post='883943' date='Jul 2 2010, 01:35 PM']Use a pick! :)[/quote]

Pick...whats one of those then :rolleyes:

Fingers all the way!

This literally was a nightmare - and I dreamt it several times. I'm playing with the band in public, and just thinking of chucking in a few tasty morsels as it's in a quiet section, and..... the neck gives way where it's bolted onto the body. So there I am holding two pieces of now useless timber.

There is no Freudian interpretation. :)

Oh no there isn't...

[quote name='Magnolia' post='883964' date='Jul 2 2010, 01:54 PM']Its got to the point where is hurt quite a bit just to grip things, and even when i write with a pen. I know i probably have bad technique so has prob taught me to adjust it a bit. Best to do it before prolems flair up though!

Pick...whats one of those then :)

Fingers all the way![/quote]
In fairness I use both, depending...
...anyway that's a bit off topic - hope the OP has a speedy recovery regardless of how spanks his plank!!

[quote name='M-Bass-M' post='883853' date='Jul 2 2010, 12:21 PM']Taking it one step further, amputation of either arm would be my worst nightmare. Although, if it were the right arm then I suppose you might be able to hook up some sort of pick-holding prosthetic.[/quote]

Who needs a pick when you can play like [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eskvyuzF1-Y"]this[/url]?

I drank a lot of beer a while ago and broke myself trying to get in my own house, resulting in my cream Ric getting blood all over it (as for some unknown reason I attempted to play bass when I got in the house, I really dont know why) and also finding out id fractured my thumb in two places. Which meant I couldnt hold / support a bass with the fretting hand, so 3 months of gigs had to be cancelled.... and I had to wear some kind of plastic "thumb dildo" to support the thumb pieces back into place. Not good! Hope you recover soon Mag!

Edited by Stag

[quote name='donut' post='884189' date='Jul 2 2010, 06:01 PM']Who needs a pick when you can play like [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eskvyuzF1-Y"]this[/url]?[/quote]

Wow, thats cool..
Im guessing the scarf thing wrapped around the neck allows him to play like that, cos when I try it just sounds like a right mess with hardly any note definition at all. The scarf must deaden the ring when he lifts his fingers off the frets I guess??

[quote name='grumble' post='885070' date='Jul 3 2010, 09:37 PM']Worst nightmare ?
Waking up realising playing bass was a dream and I actually play banjo :)[/quote]

bloody hell dont scare me like that...
i swear to god if i dream about playing banjo tonight i'm coming for you :rolleyes:

[quote name='Magnolia' post='883909' date='Jul 2 2010, 01:02 PM']I anchor my thumb on top of the pickup, and where im quite a heavy handed player press down quite hard with it. Balls![/quote]

so was it just me that read this as 'I anchor my balls on top of the pickup'?

that's bound to cause some sort of strain :)