Why become a member? ×

Status players, which model(s) do you have?

OutToPlayJazz

aw thanks for that bassbus and OTPJ, I actually went looking on youtube to see if you had made any videos like your one for your red jazz and couldn't find anything.
Usefull as however brilliant they are i now know that that tone isn't quite for me, however in other types of music they would be perfect.

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='884629' date='Jul 3 2010, 10:24 AM']aw thanks for that bassbus and OTPJ, I actually went looking on youtube to see if you had made any videos like your one for your red jazz and couldn't find anything.
Usefull as however brilliant they are i now know that that tone isn't quite for me, however in other types of music they would be perfect.[/quote]

*Nods* Yes, that's the extreme end of the sound, with the bass and treble fully boosted - Obviously the Streamline is possibly the most clinical Status sound, due to the lack of wood in the mix. The S2's are a little more hifi but a touch softer in sound. My 5-string bolt on with the phenowood board is a different mix again - The Status sound is there, but it's a lot softer and woodier. Makes for a great jazz bass. Played up near the end of the fingerboard with a soft touch, you'd swear it was a double bass at a distance.

I've got a Status MM replacement neck on a Jazz body with Nordstrand NJ4SE pickups - put together by a lad on Talkbass. I haven't got any pictures at the minute, but if you put "Status JazzRay" into Google images it should come up. Does that count? :rolleyes:

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='884515' date='Jul 3 2010, 02:23 AM']so, so many of you talking about the 'status sound', i think i know what you mean, but look youtube and i couldn't find one video of someone who wasnt slapping the poor thing :) does nobody play statii fingerstyle?[/quote]

I do. I can get a reasonably warm sound out of mine. I still get the hard low end, the clarity and the sustain but a lot less top end sparkle, which is pretty much perfect for me.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='884242' date='Jul 2 2010, 07:02 PM']I think Miss.Myrtle has been supplanted as the most beautiful S2 ever![/quote]
Luc - that bass is staggeringly beautiful - wow! Rich - not sure I'd agree - it's a very close call - for me there's something very special about your myrtle top.

I voted for Series II - I commissioned mine new in the mid '80s - it was that or a Wal and the Status just had the cool factor for me (still has!)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='884638' date='Jul 3 2010, 10:34 AM']*Nods* Yes, that's the extreme end of the sound, with the bass and treble fully boosted - Obviously the Streamline is possibly the most clinical Status sound, due to the lack of wood in the mix. The S2's are a little more hifi but a touch softer in sound. My 5-string bolt on with the phenowood board is a different mix again - The Status sound is there, but it's a lot softer and woodier. Makes for a great jazz bass. Played up near the end of the fingerboard with a soft touch, you'd swear it was a double bass at a distance.[/quote]

that was my thought, listened to a load of stuff and came away thinking thats one of the best bass sounds for jazz i've heard. In the Quo track its recognisably status but im less impressed, the growl is good for the music but im not as keen on how the rest works, the preciseness and cleanness sounds odd alongside the guitars warmth... hmmm

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='884669' date='Jul 3 2010, 11:10 AM']that was my thought, listened to a load of stuff and came away thinking thats one of the best bass sounds for jazz i've heard. In the Quo track its recognisably status but im less impressed, the growl is good for the music but im not as keen on how the rest works, the preciseness and cleanness sounds odd alongside the guitars warmth... hmmm[/quote]

Hmmm :) It all depends on where you want your bass sound to sit. If you're happy for your warm bass sound to be buried alive under a pile of guitard-noise, then a Fender Jazz is just the ticket, but if you want your sound to cut through like a scythe, then get a Status. The sound works very well for all situations, really. The basses are highly adaptable, too. :rolleyes:

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='884242' date='Jul 2 2010, 07:02 PM']Hey Luc,

As I said on Statii.com, with your updated pictures of your new S2 5-string, I think Miss.Myrtle has been supplanted as the most beautiful S2 ever! Congrats again :)[/quote]

Both fantastic basses, I think Miss Myrtle is one of the very best of the highly figured wood Statii... but Luc's Tulip wood looks really classy especially with the understated black hardware....

Don't think I'd be able to choose between them, I'd want both!

Some nice looking basses knocking around on here...

I don't actually find my Streamline to sound that clinical. Perhaps it's the fact that I quite like worn-in (but not dead) strings.
I don't slap mine either. I find that the series/parallel switching gives me access to more sounds, too (one quite extreme!)

If I had to have an S2, I think I'd try and get Rob to do something with a nice piece of Zebrano, with the grain running outwards, parallel to the axes of the horns. That'd look wicked, but I don't think that the funds would be around for a long time. Further to that, I probably wouldn't buy another Status. Not because I don't like them, but because I've alreday got one, and like a good bit of variety in my basses (materials/pre-amps/designs)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='885333' date='Jul 4 2010, 11:27 AM']Wow! Five Streamlines in our midst so far. They're getting popular :)[/quote]

Hey if Rob keeps turning these out by the dozen my #006 might eventually attain some 'vintage' value. Wonder who's got #001?

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='884242' date='Jul 2 2010, 08:02 PM']Hey Luc,

As I said on Statii.com, with your updated pictures of your new S2 5-string, I think Miss.Myrtle has been supplanted as the most beautiful S2 ever! Congrats again :rolleyes:[/quote]

Txs OTPJ :)

[quote name='martthebass' post='885683' date='Jul 4 2010, 07:02 PM']Hey if Rob keeps turning these out by the dozen my #006 might eventually attain some 'vintage' value. Wonder who's got #001?[/quote]

Rob & Dawn usually keep all the original prototypes (#001 of each model) in their personal collection, as well as old instruments from known endorsees that come back to them :)

I can join your merry gang now! :)

The courier just delivered it today: the rather tasty fretless 5 string S2000.

[attachment=53622:DSC02422.JPG]

[attachment=53623:DSC02424.JPG]

Serial number is 0435, can anybody shed some light on when it was manufactured?

[quote name='matski' post='886448' date='Jul 5 2010, 04:52 PM']I can join your merry gang now! :)

The courier just delivered it today: the rather tasty fretless 5 string S2000.

[attachment=53622:DSC02422.JPG]

[attachment=53623:DSC02424.JPG]

Serial number is 0435, can anybody shed some light on when it was manufactured?[/quote]
Lovely 2000 5 string, reckon it's from the first batch in late '89 when production went entirely 'in-house' for 2000 mouldings (well saying that, the manufacturing process was the same as the series II, With a wooden core, set-in neck & graphite facings front & back. The join between wood & graphite being hidden by the black sunburst).
I had #0440...
If you look in the battery compartment, see if it has a signature in there, either SS or $L, if it's $L.......I made it!

Edited by Bassman68

[quote name='Bassman68' post='887262' date='Jul 6 2010, 01:33 PM']Lovely 2000 5 string, reckon it's from the first batch in late '89 when production went entirely 'in-house' for 2000 mouldings (well saying that, the manufacturing process was the same as the series II, With a wooden core, set-in neck & graphite facings front & back. The join between wood & graphite being hidden by the black sunburst).
I had #0440...
If you look in the battery compartment, see if it has a signature in there, either SS or $L, if it's $L.......I made it![/quote]

I bet you probably worked on my original SII (#402) with the almost black rosewood top and light flashes. This bass was made in 1987 & I owned it from 1990 until 2006.