Why become a member? ×

Korg Pitchblack

Sharkfinger

I've had my pitchblack for about 14 months now and everything good anyone says about them is true: it's a great tuner.

However, after that 14 months it stopped working. Sent it back to the shop, who sent it back to Korg. Korg told them it was 2 months out of warranty, which the shop passed onto me. This didn't sound right so I wen't onto korg site and saw that they offer 3 years warranty. I told the shop to get on their case and they did but Korg moaned that I hadn't filled out a warranty card but grumbled they'd take a look at it anyway.

They then said there was a 'sticky substance, probably beer in it' which had stopped it working and this voided the warranty. What??!! It's a stage tuner! It goes on a stage floor!! Stage + floor = beer spills. Duh! My MXR drive pedal has the same crap spilled on it but soldiers on.

They fixed it anyway, as 'a gesture of good will' so I can't complain too much but it was all done so grudgingly.

So then, this is a warning: whatever you do, don't put this stage floor tuner on a stage floor. Especially if it's likely to have fluids anywhere near it, especially that notoriously 'sticky substance' A.K.A. beer.

I don't know what you're complaining about. I think it's fair of Korg to say that filling your tuner pedal with beer invalidates their warranty. For them to fix it FOC is an enormous gesture of goodwill, and I think that by coming on here and posting a complaint anyway, you're showing a deal of ingratitude.

S.P.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='869007' date='Jun 16 2010, 01:47 PM']I don't know what you're complaining about. I think it's fair of Korg to say that filling your tuner pedal with beer invalidates their warranty. For them to fix it FOC is an enormous gesture of goodwill, and I think that by coming on here and posting a complaint anyway, you're showing a deal of ingratitude.

S.P.[/quote]

Agreed.

I don't get what the moan is about at all - this should be a thread celebrating the good customer service that you have received from Korg. TBH, I don't think I'd have the cheek to ask for a warranty repair if I spilt beer on it...

Firstly, I had no idea what the problem was when I sent it in. Clearly, it was not obvious from looking at it so it couldn't have had that much spilt on it.

Secondly, I wanted to post this as a warning to others of what to expect should a spillage occur, which I think is par for the course when gigging.

Thirdly and most importantly, I expect something I've paid good money for to be able to cope with the environment for which it was made, which I don't think is an unfair expectation. It's by no means the cheapest floor tuner out there.

Stylon Pilson and Dubs, in my defence you don't know the tone the news was relayed to me in. I'm a pretty laid back guy and it takes a lot for me to have a moan like this. In fact, I've never given a bad review for anything.

Yes; they did fix it so I'm grateful I don't have to shell out for a new tuner but it was made very clear that it was done begrudgingly and that's what set me off. I remind you I had to draw their attention to the 3 year warranty period they clearly advertise in the first place.

Edited by Sharkfinger

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Sharkfinger' post='869103' date='Jun 16 2010, 02:51 PM']Firstly, I had no idea what the problem was when I sent it in. Clearly, it was not obvious from looking at it so it couldn't have had that much spilt on it.[/quote]

maybe not

[quote name='Sharkfinger' post='869103' date='Jun 16 2010, 02:51 PM']Secondly, I wanted to post this as a warning to others of what to expect should a spillage occur, which I think is par for the course when gigging.[/quote]

yes, and no.
Yes, when gigging in most small venues, and pubs etc... there's often "liquid refreshment" around. It can get to your pedals. Maybe. It is *your* responsibility to take care of your own gear, however.

I have suffered spillage on my pedalboard once. And it was my fault because I was not careful enough. I don't allow drinks on my amp or near my electronic gear. If anybody has a problem with that they can pay me a deposit for the full cost of replacement of my gear... or put their drinks elsewhere.
Accidents do occur, I accept that. But having beer spilled onstage should not be a norm, rather a very odd exception. If it is the norm... then I'm not playing there... or I'll play my cheapest bass direct into the cheapest amp that'll do the job and no more.

It's your responsibility to look after your own stuff.

[quote name='Sharkfinger' post='869103' date='Jun 16 2010, 02:51 PM']Thirdly and most importantly, I expect something I've paid good money for to be able to cope with the environment for which it was made, which I don't think is an unfair expectation. It's by no means the cheapest floor tuner out there.[/quote]

I expect it to withstand heavy stomping. Which it does very well.
I do not agree about the beer being part of the "environment", as I stated above.

[quote name='Sharkfinger' post='869103' date='Jun 16 2010, 02:51 PM']Stylon Pilson and Dubs, in my defence you don't know the tone the news was relayed to me in. I'm a pretty laid back guy and it takes a lot for me to have a moan like this. In fact, I've never given a bad review for anything.

Yes; they did fix it so I'm grateful I don't have to shell out for a new tuner but it was made very clear that it was done begrudgingly and that's what set me off. I remind you I had to draw their attention to the 3 year warranty period they clearly advertise in the first place.[/quote]

Re: tone... I'd be with you. There's never an excuse for treating the customer badly.
But regarding the warranty... any warranty assumes a minimum of care from the owner... if I run over it with a tank I will not get a replacement even if it still has 3 years minus one day warranty left. Pedals are not water proof, unless stated so (any?) Some may be more resistant than others due to their design. I'd imaginemost are pretty durable unless you actualy submerge them... but that's not what they're designed for. I don't think their position was unreasonable, and you are lucky they repaired it for you.

Also, if we want to be picky, any electronic bit of equipment I buy comes with a boring leaflet/page I never read anymore, stating it should not be operated in damp conditions, the temperature limits etc etc... so if they wanted to they'd use that to declare warranty void without having to claim negligence on your part.

Bottom line: beer and electronics don't mix - look after your own equipment 'cos nobody else will!

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='962618' date='Sep 20 2010, 07:35 PM']I use one and love it. I'll remember to keep beer from it. :)[/quote]
It's like PayPal. 90% of people think there's nothing wrong with it. Those that have been shafted by them (like me) refuse to use it any more and recommend that other don't. You could argue that ignorance is bliss but it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme.

[quote name='Kev' post='962692' date='Sep 20 2010, 08:31 PM']With respect, no normal warranty on any kind of electrical product covers accidental damage, that is where insurance is needed.[/quote]
You have succinctly and politely summed up your thoughts without being patronising and holier-than-though like some that have replied here. Your criticism I can take and appreciate because I can see that you have a very valid point. Thanks.

FWIW, the pedal's stopped working again. Anyone want a faulty Korg pitchblack for free? Otherwise it's going in the bin because I'm really bored of this now.

I won't be looking at this thread again, so please PM me if you want it.

It's biffed out [i]again[/i]? After only 14 months?
Blige. Not exactly a ringing endorsement, even if the first failure was, or may have been, lager-induced.
I had one of those old Arion Stage Tuners many years ago, it was utterly great and performed faultlessly despite being gigged to hell and back, survived sweat and beer and crap, and only bombed out after having a 4x10 dropped on it. Was a darned sight cheaper than the Pitchblack.

Hey Sharky, I'm on your side.

A pedal that's designed to be sold to the semi pro, pub gigging and presumably beer drinking (in said pubs) musician should be fit for purpose. In my book that includes being water/beer proof. If it's not then the design criteria is wrong.

• 1 year later...

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1285067720' post='963186']Hey Sharky, I'm on your side.

A pedal that's designed to be sold to the semi pro, pub gigging and presumably beer drinking (in said pubs) musician should be fit for purpose. In my book that includes being water/beer proof. If it's not then the design criteria is wrong.[/quote]

Seriously? Can you find one effects pedal that claims to be waterproof?