Why become a member? ×

Neck Profiles - can You Grow Into Them?

Starless

I need someone to make my mind up for me. I have played fretted Jazzes for a long time now, but I own a fretless P. A beautiful fretless P. The P, obviously is not as narrow as the Jazz neck. I am a real Jazz neck fan, but the fretless P is such a stunner that I have been trying for months now to 'make it happen'. I don't want to get rid of it, but I have always refused to be influenced by 'good looks' when it comes to playing, and I do not want to hang on to something just because it looks 'pretty'.

I even went to the trouble (and expense) of acquiring a fretted P - and lo and behold, I can live with that. It is not quite the same as the fretted Jazz, but I enjoy playing it. Is it the case that the extra effort required for fretless playing (hitting the exact spot, rather than somewhere roughly behind a fret), coupled with the fatter-than-a-jazz neck means that I will never be comfortable with a fretless P? I managed to do an entire gig with the fretless P - ONCE - but it was a struggle as the night wore on (and picked up the Jazz for the encores - oooh the relief).

I'm no spring chicken, so it's not as if my wrist/hand/fingers have any more growing to do.

I tried to trade the fretless P on here last year, but the response to the listing kind of scared me into hanging on to her (very desirable apparently) - even though I don't get on with the neck.

So what do I do? How much longer should I persevere with an instrument because of it's coolness factor, when I just don't enjoy playing it? Is six months of hammering away enough?

Edited by Starless

[quote name='Starless' post='864598' date='Jun 11 2010, 07:05 PM']I need someone to make my mind up for me. I have played fretted Jazzes for a long time now, but I own a fretless P. A beautiful fretless P. The P, obviously is not as narrow as the Jazz neck. I am a real Jazz neck fan, but the fretless P is such a stunner that I have been trying for months now to 'make it happen'. I don't want to get rid of it, but I have always refused to be influenced by 'good looks' when it comes to playing, and I do not want to hang on to something just because it looks 'pretty'.

I even went to the trouble (and expense) of acquiring a fretted P - and lo and behold, I can live with that. It is not quite the same as the fretted Jazz, but I enjoy playing it. Is it the case that the extra effort required for fretless playing (hitting the exact spot, rather than somewhere roughly behind a fret), coupled with the fatter-than-a-jazz neck means that I will never be comfortable with a fretless P? I managed to do an entire gig with the fretless P - ONCE - but it was a struggle as the night wore on (and picked up the Jazz for the encores - oooh the relief).

I'm no spring chicken, so it's not as if my wrist/hand/fingers have any more growing to do.

I tried to trade the fretless P on here last year, but the response to the listing kind of scared me into hanging on to her (very desirable apparently) - even though I don't get on with the neck.

So what do I do? How much longer should I persevere with an instrument because of it's coolness factor, when I just don't enjoy playing it? Is six months of hammering away enough?[/quote]
I feel you answered the question long ago and its just the financial aspect that causes concern to you.....
Maybe Im wrong & then again???? :)

I find few necks that I can't adjust to given a bit of time with them.
35" Scale is more problematic for me, as my muscle memory (or whatever kind of habituation you subscribe to), reckons the frets aren't in the "right" places! My hands are a bit bigger than average, but my fingers aren't particularly long.
I just work away at it. Yes, I can play a slim/medium neck a little quicker than a 6-string, but there's not a lot in it.

If the bass is that good, it may be worth the effort to plug away at it.

At the end of the day, an instrument is for playing. Before you get rid of the fretless Precision, go to a good teacher & see if your left hand technique can be improved upon. If it turns out you're playing pretty well already, then get rid and find something you can't put down due to it being so good to play & so great sounding. :)

A.N. Other possibility is it's setup.

I find swapping back to frets to be a bit of a chore TBH. I put this down to the wonderfully slick setup that the Gallery did on my SB-1000 - everything else feels a bit "clunky" now, despite nigh on identical neck profiles.

Pete.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='864653' date='Jun 11 2010, 07:55 PM']A.N. Other possibility is it's setup.

I find swapping back to frets to be a bit of a chore TBH. I put this down to the wonderfully slick setup that the Gallery did on my SB-1000 - everything else feels a bit "clunky" now, despite nigh on identical neck profiles.

Pete.[/quote]

My fretted P is fine, and I'm not sure how a setup could improve the fretless. The action is about as low as you can go without having the strings just laying on the board.

It's kind of ironic that I'm moaning about the width of a P neck when I've recently started on the double bass. Maybe if I held the Precision vertically...

[quote name='Johnston' post='864615' date='Jun 11 2010, 07:22 PM']buy a fretless jazz neck and stick it on[/quote]

+1 to that, the punters won't notice it and sounds like you have perserverd long enough, necks are a very personal thing. I play a wide variety of basses in my line of work :) but they all have a jazzish neck profile. I love the sound of the stingray but the necks just not for me. I was sad, until (dumbstruck) I discovered that they make the sterling essentially the same bass with a jazz profile neck!

[quote name='Starless' post='864656' date='Jun 11 2010, 08:05 PM']It's kind of ironic that I'm moaning about the width of a P neck when [b]I've recently started on the double bass[/b]. Maybe if I held the Precision vertically...[/quote]

Maybe that's an answer... After a session on the DB, "reward" yourself with a good blowout on the fretless - the difference in profiles is so extreme that you may start to click with the fretless.

Or, as others have suggested, source a fretless J neck.

I'm with Dan670844 on the "personal thing" - 28 years of the Aria SB neck profile & virtually everything else feels wrong to me.

Pete.

Edited by Bloodaxe

Is this your first time trying to adjust to another neck profile? Because when I changed to my first 5, I couldn't stand it for about 8 months, but I persevered an now I play an Ibby 6, the transition from my 5 o my 6 was, well, virtually non-existent! Maybe it's because the ibby is a thinner neck profile though...

If nothing else, maybe you could order a fretless jazz neck from warmoth or something? Sure it won't have the fender name on it, but when/ if you have to sell the fretless P, just stick the old neck back on so it's all original? That's what I'd do at least...Either way, good luck with it all!

[quote name='Starless' post='864713' date='Jun 11 2010, 09:28 PM']Interesting, why would you suggest that?[/quote]

You didn't mention if it was a US or Japanese Jazz. I have made many swaps between old US and Japanese without probs they fit like a glove, not sure about the new US ones though never tried. Mexi stuff no way Jose they don't fit. I would do this it will probably cost you nothing if you sell the precision neck (personally i would keep it) I don't think its to do with technique etc more the way you are built. I have huge hands (i wish the rumours where true hehehe.... ) but the way my fingers are shaped I have found that the old shape jazz C shape profile is the best. believe me I have tried and have made many expensive mistakes, (did I tell you about the Warwick thumb story!) it just the way of things! I would get a luthier to fit it though.

[quote name='SignsOfDelirium_bassist' post='864746' date='Jun 11 2010, 10:11 PM']Is this your first time trying to adjust to another neck profile?[/quote]

No, I've been all over the shop with Ricks, Jazzes, Warwick (fretless) and finally P fretted and fretless. I can do them all, but it is just the fattest of them (the P) in a fretless form that has now been over a year in frustrating me.

I think it will have to go, sexy beast or not, she's history...

[quote name='dan670844' post='864782' date='Jun 11 2010, 11:02 PM']You didn't mention if it was a US or Japanese Jazz. I have made many swaps between old US and Japanese without probs they fit like a glove,[/quote]

All of my Fenders have been MIJ/CIJ (no way will I ever pay the premium on a 'Made in USA' decal as long as the Japanese versions are available). I have swapped around the fretted P and J bodies/necks and they are fine, so I have no doubt that replacing the fretless neck would not pose a problem.

However, the fretless P is a piece of 70's retro matching woodiness glory that begs to be kept intact (I'm convinced it is a maple body because it is an EXACT match with the neck and fingerboard - and it's a 10+ pounder).

So ideally, a complete un-lined fretless Jazz is the answer, but they don't exactly grow on trees (OK, yes, the wooden parts of them do originally, but you know what I mean).

I've always preferred jazz necks (very slim or more C shaped) but I've found I can adapt to most. For a while I enjoyed playing a very chuncky V neck on an old Wal (neck was nice..but the body was heavy!). The "best" neck I've owned was a Bravewood chuncky maple P bass - very comfy and easy to get around.

One thing - is it only the neck on the fretless P that bothers you? I have never played a fretless Pbass I liked that had just the standard P bass pickup - too woofy and big for my idea of a good fretless sound.

[quote name='Starless' post='864713' date='Jun 11 2010, 08:28 PM']Interesting, why would you suggest that?[/quote]
Because a new neck will sound different.

The wood in a new neck won't have had time to get used to the string tension so you'll have a slightly more aggressive sounding instrument...although you may like that of course! :)

[quote name='Starless' post='864598' date='Jun 11 2010, 07:05 PM']So what do I do? How much longer should I persevere with an instrument because of it's coolness factor, when I just don't enjoy playing it? Is six months of hammering away enough?[/quote]
About five months, thirty days, and 23 hours too much. :)

If it was close to what you'd be most comfortable with, you'd have settled in to it by now. The fact you're still not happy with it points to it being quite different to what you're looking for.

[quote name='chris_b' post='867147' date='Jun 14 2010, 04:22 PM']Don't get hung up on the tools. Just concentrate on the job.[/quote]

Snappy soundbite, but ultimately bo**ocks.

Golfer fulfills his potential with wrong sized clubs? Runner does his best times wearing wrong size shoes? ....