Why become a member? ×

I'm Getting

tino

I'm hopeful to receive one of these in the next few days.....aint had one for over 20 years but thought....go on give it another go....

I want to modify it a little and wondered if there were 3 things available off the shelf that would give an immediate improvement then in your opinion what would they be????

Pickup...?
Tuner....?
Bridge...?

You tell me :)

Cheers
T

[quote name='tino' post='862442' date='Jun 9 2010, 06:08 PM']I'm hopeful to receive one of these in the next few days.....aint had one for over 20 years but thought....go on give it another go....

I want to modify it a little and wondered if there were 3 things available off the shelf that would give an immediate improvement then in your opinion what would they be????

Pickup...?
Tuner....?
Bridge...?

You tell me :)

Cheers
T[/quote]
That looks like a Jazz width neck.

People are raving about the John East P-Retro. TBH, I don't think anything else really needs improving on the new American Standards. The ones I've played are really good, I was knocked out by a Jazz a couple of weeks ago. Great bass.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='862452' date='Jun 9 2010, 06:22 PM']The width at the nut is 41mm, I think. Tino, what is there to improve? If it`s one of the newer models, stick on a set of DR Fatbeam strings and play the thing till your fingers bleed. :)

Jez[/quote]
Not a string set Im familiar with....what guages????? anyone else consider these a good choice...Im told its got the original Fender strings at the mo!!!

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='862452' date='Jun 9 2010, 06:22 PM']The width at the nut is 41mm, I think. Tino, what is there to improve? If it`s one of the newer models, stick on a set of [b]DR Fatbeam strings[/b] and play the thing till your fingers bleed. :)[/quote]

Plus the one re Fat Beams. I've got 45 65 85 105 on my P bass and they're the dog's.

I love DR Strings, they are some of the very best out there and the best I personally have used. I use DR Black Beauties.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=89542"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=89542[/url]

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' post='862481' date='Jun 9 2010, 06:47 PM']I love DR Strings, they are some of the very best out there and the best I personally have used. I use DR Black Beauties.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=89542"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=89542[/url][/quote]
They any good for dub????
I usually use tru sound 88's

Edited by tino

[quote name='tino' post='862499' date='Jun 9 2010, 07:01 PM']They any good for dub????
I usually use tru sound 88's[/quote]
I do big deep dance bass and a bit of dub-reggae. DR BBs are fine, the Hi Beams were a bit bass-light for me but I just dialled in more low end on the POD.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='862521' date='Jun 9 2010, 07:19 PM']The strings you use already are GREAT for dub & if it ain't broke... :)[/quote]
I fully agree they're good but never ever used on a P as it stands most likely I will pick up a set tomorrow along with the DRBB's just to give them a try,If I dont try I will never know.............Ive been dormant a long long time

The single biggest improvement I ever did for my Geddy was to stick a set of DiMarzio Model J pickups in it. Completely transformed the bass and is usable in every gig I've ever done. There are other great pickups out there for sure, but I'd like to give a big thumbs up to the DiMarzio Model J pickup set.

[quote name='mcgraham' post='862532' date='Jun 9 2010, 07:32 PM']The single biggest improvement I ever did for my Geddy was to stick a set of DiMarzio Model J pickups in it. Completely transformed the bass and is usable in every gig I've ever done. There are other great pickups out there for sure, but I'd like to give a big thumbs up to the DiMarzio Model J pickup set.[/quote]
I had DiMarzio Ultra Jazzes in My Wilkins Jazz and they were wonderful.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='862526' date='Jun 9 2010, 07:24 PM']I'm surprised no-one has suggested that the OP "stick a badass on it" yet :rolleyes:[/quote]
Already got a bad ass it comes with age....that dont work as good as it should either :)

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='862454' date='Jun 9 2010, 06:25 PM']I probably wouldn't change anything at all, except the strings.

If I was going to change anything it wouldn't be until I'd played it stock for a while.[/quote]

me neither.
I'm not too clued up on the newcamerican series as the active circuits don't interest me and there isn't a normal P bass. Unless I'm wrong.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='863890' date='Jun 11 2010, 12:08 AM']me neither.
I'm not too clued up on the newcamerican series as the active circuits don't interest me and there isn't a normal P bass. Unless I'm wrong.[/quote]
They're just normal passive basses with a few sensible improvements like better hardware, Hipshot tuners, rolled edge fingerboards and a carbon reinforcement inside the neck. They are the best standard Fenders I've tried, lovely players, good sounds.

[quote name='silddx' post='864113' date='Jun 11 2010, 10:25 AM']They're just normal passive basses with a few sensible improvements like better hardware, Hipshot tuners, rolled edge fingerboards and a carbon reinforcement inside the neck. They are the best standard Fenders I've tried, lovely players, good sounds.[/quote]

+1

IMO, and Ive spent ages trying to find decent modern Fenders, these 2008 onwards are the best theyve made in years. Im a picky customer and they really got it right.

I wouldnt change anything apart from the strings, but the stock strings are pretty nice! I was pleasantly shocked how much I liked them!

Change nothing except strings to taste. The American Standards most certainly DO NOT need a Badass. Or any other bridge. It would have to be a Badass III anyway, and at the moment, it would be easier to get a free ticket to the World Cup Final than to find a new BAIII...

Great bass, you'll love it!