Why become a member? ×

Posting/Couriering a bass

sprocketflup

Im hoping this hasnt been covered, I did a search but got no results.

I sold an Aria Pro recently to guy on another forum who lives on the other side of the Uk to me, so I need to post it.

Bass is wrapped in bubble wrap and ensconced in its (non fitted) hard case, which is wrapped in brown paper and addressed. All ive gotta do is find someone to deliver it.

I recently had a t*sser of a bad experience with Parcelfarce, who absolutely destroyed a unique item even tho it had been packaged to within an inch of its life and cared not a jot. They seriously must have seen the Fragile notices all over it and viewed it as a challenge, so Ill not be using them again.

Anyone? thanks in advance

Dave Sprocketflup

I used Parcel Monkey to send a bass from Felixstowe to Cardiff. It got there in one piece and cost about £12. I can't say any more than that, really. They also took an amp to France for me without any difficulty but that cost £44..

[quote name='Bilbo' post='861307' date='Jun 8 2010, 06:21 PM']I used Parcel Monkey to send a bass from Felixstowe to Cardiff. It got there in one piece and cost about £12. I can't say any more than that, really. They also took an amp to France for me without any difficulty but that cost £44..[/quote]

Looks like you were lucky Bilbo
[url="http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews244602.html"]Parcel Monkey Reviews: one star out of 5 from 100+ reviews[/url]

Typical response

"horrendous customer relations
dont buy 24 hour del as it can be anything up to 5 days like i've exp
no phone number
no reply to emails - until it was delvd funnily enough
bunch of cowboys "

[quote name='Musicman20' post='861422' date='Jun 8 2010, 08:24 PM']interparcel.com[/quote]

I agree.

Just posted a bass in a hardcase to a BC member in Holland. Insured it cost about £55, they collected Friday afternoon and it was delivered today.

My experiences with interparcel.com have generally been good, but the last item I sent, I used the HDNL courier service and that was very slow - took a week for a non-guaranteed 2-day delivery.

I avoid ParcelFarce - motto "We can break an anvil and lose an elephant".

I've used Parcel Force 48 numerous times and the item has always arrived intact and on time. The only issue I have with them is I've had a few cases where the delivery driver has left the item at the address and forged the recipients signature (my own in at least one instance when I've recieved a bass sent to me via parcel force).

[quote name='OldGit' post='861326' date='Jun 8 2010, 06:36 PM']Looks like you were lucky Bilbo
[url="http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews244602.html"]Parcel Monkey Reviews: one star out of 5 from 100+ reviews[/url]

Typical response

"horrendous customer relations
dont buy 24 hour del as it can be anything up to 5 days like i've exp
no phone number
no reply to emails - until it was delvd funnily enough
bunch of cowboys "[/quote]

I've used Parcel Monkey twice with no problems at all.

What you've got to remember about them is they are not actually a courier company. They farm out the orders to other companies; so, when you've put your order to them, you deal direct with the company they've given the job to.

Pete

Parcel2go.com certainly gets my vote, easy to use website allows you to choose your courier/price, they collect on time & deliver when they say they will. I've used them for speaker cabs, Koi filters, Air Rifles & guitars, to France, Ireland + UK, every time I've been well pleased at the service & the price. Most packages up to 30Kg are standard rate & I usually choose the UPS Next day service - they haven't let me down yet, no damage & no delays.

Cheers & good luck,
John

Edited by KiOgon

Use Interparcel and no complaints so far - except the last twice they have delivered the instruments early, the inconsiderate b******s, and when i made a mess of a booking online (wrong name and house number) a young lady sorted it all out in minutes and issued a new set of labels, and the one time they were a day late with a delivery they refunded the full charge AND insurance immediately. This is not the kind of service we expect in Britain and something must be done!

BB

Edited by BarnacleBob

[quote name='bubinga5' post='863748' date='Jun 10 2010, 09:42 PM']Def Parcels2go!!! ive used them loads and they have never let me down...very cheap too..[/quote]

I think it was Parcel2Go that I used to ship a 1x 15 cab and it arrived safe but they never charged me. So very cheap! :)

At the risk of repeating the above mentioned thread, Parcel2go and all the parcelforce resellers have a limit of damage for a musical instrument between £150 and £200 and this can't be increased.

I too have had a bad experience with Parcelmonkey and wouldn't recommend them for anything valuable. Unfortunately when things go wrong, there is no organ grinder, just the monkey.

Thanks for all the replies - I went with Interparcel in the end.

Booked a collection for AFTER 12.30 as there would be no-one home until then, wife gets back at lunchtime and theres a card thru the door - they tried to collect at 10.47am :)

Anywasy to give them credit, they returned and collected it at 4.00pm after a (i imagine) shouty phone call from the missus.

Will also post what arrives at the other end once hes received it.

thanks again everyone :rolleyes:

[quote name='sprocketflup' post='863800' date='Jun 10 2010, 10:34 PM']Booked a collection for AFTER 12.30 as there would be no-one home until then, wife gets back at lunchtime and theres a card thru the door - they tried to collect at 10.47am :)[/quote]

:rolleyes: Yes they have done that twice in the past week to me - seems strange especially as the online booking stated clearly the deadline for morning pick-up had passed.

BB

I'm baffled why professional companies can't get this right. I've ofter wondered about setting up a parcel delivery company myself, specializing in musical equipment maybe. As an ex removal man, I'm very aware of how to handle and pack stuff correctly.

FWIW I've used Parcelfarce MANY times, never used anyone else, and I mean dozens of basses and guitars over the years, and they've always got them there in perfect nick. I don't doubt that many other people have had bad experiences though.

Worst couriers for me are TNT. With my previous company they mangaged to destroy and lose more material than they actually delivered.