Why become a member? ×

Vintage Jazz through a B15n or MIA J Deluxe through POD?

TimmyC

I found this on another forum and thought I'd post it here.

" On one track I played on John Entwistle's 1965 Jazz bass strung with flats through a 60's B-15n to a Neve board. There was also a bit of a Countryman DI mixed in through the Neve. The other track was played on an active 2000 American Jazz Deluxe with rounds into a Bass Pod, direct to ProTools. Can you pick which is which?"

1) [url="http://thedpband.com/music/05%2020%20Questions.mp3"]http://thedpband.com/music/05%2020%20Questions.mp3[/url]

2) [url="http://thedpband.com/music/06%20Alright.mp3"]http://thedpband.com/music/06%20Alright.mp3[/url]

I'd like to know,

A - Which sound you prefer,

B - Which do you think is the Vintage Jazz and which is the new Fender active one

[i][b]If you've seen the original thread then don't spoil it for those who havn't. [/b][/i]

Tim

Edited by TimmyC

I would hazard a guess that the second mix is the POD and active bass. I prefer the zing on the top of the bass in the second track.

If thats the one with flats, I have to rethink my views on them, cos usually I cant stand the things!!

I can hear a difference, and I'd agree with what dood said and say the 2nd is the active, seems a bit deeper in the bass.

It doesn't help however that they're two different songs and therefore will probably have different levels in the mix. A fair test would use the same song as the control.

Edited by Buzz

[quote name='bassbluestew' post='94213' date='Nov 25 2007, 06:06 PM']God my ears hear different.

I think the strings on the second deffo sounds like flats. The first is much punchier and to me sounds like rounds and a much more modern sound.

It is difficult when it's two different songs tho.

S[/quote]

Oh should have added they do sound VERY different, and I should add I'm listening on PC speakers.

S

I'm finding this very hard! I keep switching between the two tracks, I prefer the bass sound on the first track. I think that track is the MIA Jazz into POD because those sound like round-wounds to me.

I'm getting lost in how good the drums sound... I hope I'm not wavering towards the dark side :wacko:

Gee, that´s hard...

I´d say track 2 is the passive bass with flats, but then there´s that slide at the end where I *think* I can detect a trace of roundwound noise...
Track 1 has a more "sculpted-by-onboard-EQ" kind of sound to me.

OTOH, I´m sure I´m wrong. :)

From the player´s standpoint, I´d probably have chosen the Ox axe for the second track - the song has a slight 60s vibe to my ears.

to my ears* the first one has a punchier, active tone. and the second one [i]deffinitly[/i] sounds like flats. but then i've recorded with a pod and know what they're capable of.... and this could be the trick of the test perhaps??

Tom

*very naive in terms of jazz knowledge, never owned or played one a great deal, never heard a vintage in person

[u][b]EDIT[/b][/u]

OK, i think i've changed my mind. listening to it again, i think the first is smooth enough to be flats, and with good pickup balance could give that punch. and with the second one theres a low end (low-mid?) clarity/attack that sounds boosted and compressed? and i don't think a vintage bass could do that. so yes, i've changed my mind.

1st one active round pod
2nd one passive flat vintage

Edited by wotnwhy

Its not easy listening on cheap cans into my PC - it would be interesting to play on my hifi or through studio monitors.

If I had to say I would go for the second being the Active/POD. The playing on both is quite bubby and I would have preferred to be able to hear a slow passage and the notes more developed but then it would probably be obvious.

1) Is the '65 Jazz bass with flats - thru vintage Ampeg B-15n.
Track 2) is the modern Jazz Deluxe with rounds into a Line 6 Bass POD.

This was quite easy as... I have both a 1965 Jazz bass and a 1965 Ampeg B-15N (tone heaven - you haven't lived until you've played bass through one of these - the best there is).
People are often shocked by just how 'alive' old Jazz basses can sound - the warmth is there, but somehow folks expect them to lack the full range of tones of a modern bass. My 1960 jazz is even richer...
And this is why original 1960's Jazzes are so valuable & sought after!

Edited by 99ster

[u][b]Answer[/b][/u] - Please highlight the area under to find the answer

[color="#FFFFFF"]
Track 1 - '20 Questions' was played with the 1965 Jazz bass with flats through a 60's Ampeg B-15n.
Track 2 - 'Alright' was played on the MIA Jazz Deluxe with rounds into a Line 6 Bass POD direct to ProTools.[/color]

Edited by TimmyC

[quote name='Machines' post='94726' date='Nov 26 2007, 07:54 PM']Ok I got here late - shame the answer is out so soon :). I actually would have got it right as well...[/quote]

Sorry people kept PMing me so I thought I'd put it up here to save replying the same thing to loads of people, it seemed like a good idea at the time. I've changed it so that you now have to highlight the text to read it if you don't want to know the answer.

[quote name='TimmyC' post='94695' date='Nov 26 2007, 06:40 PM'][u][b]Answer[/b][/u] - Please highlight the area under to find the answer

[color="#FFFFFF"]
Track 1 - '20 Questions' was played with the 1965 Jazz bass with flats through a 60's Ampeg B-15n.
Track 2 - 'Alright' was played on the MIA Jazz Deluxe with rounds into a Line 6 Bass POD direct to ProTools.[/color][/quote]

I am so happy.. thank you ears, thank you ... lol