Why become a member? ×

Playing bass wearing black silk gloves - for BETTER TONE

xilddx

I admit to being a bit intrigued by this glove thing so I decided to do my own little sound test. Apparently my bass playing is completely shot and I can't play in time with or without gloves but have a listen any way.

One half is played au naturel and the other wearing some woolly gloves from Next. See if you can tell which is which.

[attachment=51287:glove_test.mp3]

[quote name='paul h' post='855841' date='Jun 3 2010, 11:01 AM']I admit to being a bit intrigued by this glove thing so I decided to do my own little sound test. Apparently my bass playing is completely shot and I can't play in time with or without gloves but have a listen any way.

One half is played au naturel and the other wearing some woolly gloves from Next. See if you can tell which is which.

[attachment=51287:glove_test.mp3][/quote]
:) :rolleyes:

I have played with thick gloves on once, doing an outdoor gig in December in Aberdeen - it was that or play with ice-blocks where my fingers used to be. I got more comments about the look than about the sound!

But has anyone tried gloves on a fretless?

Actually, *I* kill strings very quickly too, especially at gigs. I love the 'new string' tone and find that after the first set, the strings will have gone dull, by the end of the night, dead!

So, anything that can keep my hands dry, or keeps the sweat off the strings seems like a good idea to me. But then, I'm far more open minded than most and am not dragged down by fashion or what looks cool. It's utilitarian. I do utilitarian! (Well - with the exception that both of my Shukers are GORGEOUS looking basses ha ha ha - but, that was second to playability.)

[quote name='dood' post='855877' date='Jun 3 2010, 11:23 AM']Actually, *I* kill strings very quickly too, especially at gigs. I love the 'new string' tone and find that after the first set, the strings will have gone dull, by the end of the night, dead!

So, anything that can keep my hands dry, or keeps the sweat off the strings seems like a good idea to me. But then, I'm far more open minded than most [b]and am not dragged down by fashion or what looks cool[/b]. It's utilitarian. I do utilitarian! (Well - with the exception that both of my Shukers are GORGEOUS looking basses ha ha ha - but, that was second to playability.)[/quote]
Don't worry mate, these look massively Kool with a kapital "K" :)

Don't listen to these pansies who go on stage in boot-cut jeans and a dirty old Robin Trower tour t-shirt. Get the gloves. One day all bassists will play this way.

[quote name='paul h' post='855841' date='Jun 3 2010, 11:01 AM']One half is played au naturel and the other wearing some woolly gloves from Next. See if you can tell which is which.[/quote]

Class! :)

Anyway we seem to be skirting around the important issue that this Etienne Mmmbop is an African/French geezer who can probably wear whatever he likes and still be cool. I'm from Wakefield - if I did it, I would look like a twat.

[quote name='paul h' post='855841' date='Jun 3 2010, 11:01 AM']I admit to being a bit intrigued by this glove thing so I decided to do my own little sound test. Apparently my bass playing is completely shot and I can't play in time with or without gloves but have a listen any way.

Bloody marvelous. :) :rolleyes:

Post of the year IMHO.

[quote name='silddx' post='855564' date='Jun 2 2010, 11:50 PM']You're kidding right? The are the coolest, sexiest thing out!

I've added a recording I just did to see if you can tell the difference .. Gloves or no Gloves, in the OP.[/quote]

No. Gloves are sexy only if they come to the elbow. Trust me. :)

When you mentioned the acidic sweat you caught my attention.

I took my bass to Jon (Shuker) last year for some TLC for it's 5th birthday, and Jon was pretty shocked at the state of it.

"Are these the same strings that were on it when you picked it up??"... Uh, no.. They're about 3 weeks old... :) The screws for the pickups were so rusted over a screwdriver wouldn't work..

And all of this because i have horrendously acidic sweat. Didn't think there was anything i could do about it so this is very intruiging! But to be honest i just don't see how the gloves will stop it. My hands will still sweat, and i don't think the gloves are watertight! And even if they were, my arms and face are still gonna sweat, and the gloves wont stop that...

[quote name='silddx' post='855496' date='Jun 2 2010, 10:34 PM']Last week I ordered some of these thin black silk gloves like Etienne Mbappé uses. They arrived today. I tried them and to my total surprise they are amazing! They are so comfortable and feel really natural to play with. I can still play very fast riffs with total accuracy.

Now, I only bought them because I'm a slag and they look real sexy. Etienne wears them because he has massively acidic sweat and he kills his strings within the first three numbers of a set and he now swears by them. If you have this problem, I can't recommend them highly enough. I am really looking forward to playing a gig with them now!

These are the ones I got and I ordered a size smaller than my hands, I think - ie. small and my hands are about small/medium.
[url="http://www.jasminesilk.com/product_info.php?products_id=36"]http://www.jasminesilk.com/product_info.php?products_id=36[/url]

OK tell me which half of this is Gloves. I just recorded this tonight to give them a test.
[attachment=51281:01_Glove..._Gloves_.mp3]

How cool is this?!
[/quote]
He's one cool looking man, I like his jacket as well, oh and the bass, that is mega cool ( probably because it goes with the jacket).
Your recording Nigel, well I couldn't tell which was which, but it didn't really capture my attention like paul h's, his piece was much more um.....intriguing. :)
These gloves, do they go with knee length boots? I've got a pair of knee length boots now and they could look quite dandy together. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Marvin' post='856207' date='Jun 3 2010, 03:22 PM']He's one cool looking man, I like his jacket as well, oh and the bass, that is mega cool ( probably because it goes with the jacket).
Your recording Nigel, well I couldn't tell which was which, but it didn't really capture my attention like paul h's, his piece was much more um.....intriguing. :)
These gloves, do they go with knee length boots? I've got a pair of knee length boots now and they could look quite dandy together. :rolleyes:[/quote]
They go very well with my black nylons.

that was f***ing ace - keep up the good work :)

[quote name='mart' post='855874' date='Jun 3 2010, 11:22 AM']But has anyone tried gloves on a fretless?[/quote]

Your Command is my Wish, O Master:

Exhibit A - The Glove:

Exhibit B - Me hacking through "Politician" Once 'round the block with the glove & once without... You decide.

[media]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8453031/Politician_Gloves_VBR.mp3[/media]

Edited by Bloodaxe

[quote name='Johnston' post='856363' date='Jun 3 2010, 06:08 PM']On a serious note. How warm do they keep your hands??

My hands lock up in the cold and as shown woolly gloves don't work!![/quote]
I believe they have thermal insulating properties.

I hate the thought of wearing gloves. Pretty much the only time I don a pair is to clear out a spider infested area (hate spiders!)

If I saw a bass player wearing them I'd just think 'poser', unless I knew it was for some sort of skin problem. Still, each to his own as they say.

[quote name='Golchen' post='856437' date='Jun 3 2010, 07:18 PM']I hate the thought of wearing gloves. Pretty much the only time I don a pair is to clear out a spider infested area (hate spiders!)

If I saw a bass player wearing them I'd just think 'poser', unless I knew it was for some sort of skin problem. Still, each to his own as they say.[/quote]
What's wrong with being a poser, mate? We're in the entertainment industry right? What's wrong with dressing up on stage and giving the audience a show?

What do you wear on stage then?

[quote name='MythSte' post='856450' date='Jun 3 2010, 07:35 PM']Hmm, Gloves or elixirs... Gloves or elixirs...

:rolleyes:

If that recordings with gloves though I'll be seriously impressed.[/quote]
Which recording? Paul h's? There seem to be a few coming on here now with various hand apparel :) I may try something with high heeled shoes on my hands shortly :lol:

This thread delivers! Whoever thought a pair of gloves could stir up such strong emotions?

I have on occasion played with woolly fingerless gloves (which I wear for most of the winter) and I'm pretty sure I tried with full finger ones as well- didn't work for me. Also, it would be one more thing I'm bound to forget to take to practice (another reason I don't like using picks!).