Why become a member? ×

Manoeuvrability vs. Tone

faceman

Tone for me also. But I have to say that I'm pretty adaptable when it comes to neck sizes - probably because I started playing on P Basses and 'Ray's and used to their clubbier necks. The thing is, the size of the neck has quite an impact on the depth of the tone.

IMHO you shouldnt have to substitute anything...i wouldnt play an instrument i wasnt 100% happy with...be it tone, feel, comfort, playability...saying that i dont mind different neck sizes...for me i guess if the tone isnt there you can forget it..

Wide 5 strings dont do it for me thats why the Sei is a gem..

If your unhappy, your playing the wrong bass

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='849678' date='May 27 2010, 07:00 PM']IMHO you shouldnt have to substitute anything...i wouldnt play an instrument i wasnt 100% happy with...be it tone, feel, comfort, playability...saying that i dont mind different neck sizes...for me i guess if the tone isnt there you can forget it..

Wide 5 strings dont do it for me thats why the Sei is a gem..

If your unhappy, your playing the wrong bass[/quote]
Ah but the question posed by the OP is "if you [b]had[/b] to choose which would it be?".

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='849449' date='May 27 2010, 02:49 PM']I like a playable bass that sounds great. If it fails either of these, what't the point in having it...? :)

That said, I'm almost totally immune the the effects of different neck profiles. My J and P are polar opposites, but I adapt to whichever no problem.[/quote]

Couldn't have put it better myself. You stick with a bass you like & you adapt around it. I used to like light gauge strings but since getting on the upright I've learnt to go heavier and work harder with what I have.

Careful editing says 'Ray to me!

[quote name='faceman' post='849443' date='May 27 2010, 02:42 PM']...the tone of the 'Ray is so much better, it will cut through anything, it's deep and I love it.[/quote]

[quote name='faceman' post='849455' date='May 27 2010, 02:54 PM']Playing the StingRay feels great and I just love the feel of the neck of it!...
...I'd say overall the StingRay does feel nicer...[/quote]

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='849530' date='May 27 2010, 04:16 PM']Stick with the MusicMan for a while and see how you go, Seb :)[/quote]

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='849763' date='May 27 2010, 08:29 PM']You stick with a bass you like & you adapt around it.[/quote]

A good core tone for me, manoeuvrability can be learned.

[quote name='Mikey R' post='849782' date='May 27 2010, 08:54 PM']A good setup and the right strings can make all the difference.[/quote]

+1. I've always used Rotosound, but the last lot I got were a bit rough, tbh.
Now I'm using DR 'Fat Beams' and they're the business.

[quote name='discreet' post='849799' date='May 27 2010, 09:05 PM']+1. I've always used Rotosound, but the last lot I got were a bit rough, tbh.
Now I'm using DR 'Fat Beams' and they're the business.[/quote]

Im trying out D'Addarios nickel roundwounds in medium guage, after a quick truss rod tweek it took me a day or so to get used to them and now Im quite impressed. Much nicer than the same guage Rotosounds, very easy to play for a mid priced set of strings.

Im saving up for a set of DRs :)

Edited by Mikey R

If I read your original post correctly and you have an '83 StingRay (ie pre Ernie Ball), then you are going to SERIOUSLY regret it if you sell it.

And then you will have a hard time finding another pre-EB to replace it if you change your mind later. Fender Jazzes are always available and you can always get another one at a later stage.

Keep the Stinger and persevere! I don't have long fingers either, and have sometimes had moments of thinking the 'Ray is playing me rather than the other way around - but when you do conquer it.... You are ready to take on the StingRay 5!! :)

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='850861' date='May 29 2010, 02:49 AM']Manoeuvrability. I don't have a signature tone per se but I like to think I do have a signature way of playing. Tone is easily shaped and enhanced if required but if the notes aren't there it won't work.[/quote]

+1

A good amp and a bit of EQ, decent set of strings and a couple of pedals you can get a decent tone regardless to what the instrument sounds dry. A crap bass can sound good through a decent amp.

If you get rid of the Jazz then you will be exclusive to the Ray and your hands will adapt. If you miss the Jazz neck then just get a Squier.

Having said all that, is the Ray that bad? Theres nothing worse than fighting with the bass.

playability first for me - i sound like me whether I'm playing a Warwick Thumb NT5 or a Wesley purple acrylic see through bass

Ironically one of the best sounding basses I ever had was an Epi Thunderbird Gothic Jobbie. Neck dive to buggery, even after the strap button move

Is it just me or does a neck make no real difference to anyone else?

If I can play a line, I can play it on a fat or slim neck, If something is beyond what is physically possible for me then no amount of neck tech is going to help

If you are cutting songs so fine that a 1/4 on the neck will be the difference between a stunning line and falling on ya face at a gig, then your living on the edge, fair play!

Hope the original poster is happy with their choice

[quote name='lojo' post='856537' date='Jun 3 2010, 08:42 PM']Is it just me or does a neck make no real difference to anyone else?

If I can play a line, I can play it on a fat or slim neck, If something is beyond what is physically possible for me then no amount of neck tech is going to help

If you are cutting songs so fine that a 1/4 on the neck will be the difference between a stunning line and falling on ya face at a gig, then your living on the edge, fair play![/quote]

I'm certainly not pushing the physical limits of what's humanly possible on a bass, but I still need to have a comfortable neck to play. If you're playing for any decent length of time, or in less than ideal circumstances (maybe a little niggling hand/wrist injury or you're sick or whatever) it's good to have a bass that isn't going to make things worse.

I don't think I could play Precisions or Stingrays on a regular basis, it doesn't feel like I grip them right, I think I'd hurt myself eventually. I also get hand cramps playing Ibanez necks, either they're too thin or too flat or something, they feel very weird to me.

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='856563' date='Jun 3 2010, 09:06 PM']I'm certainly not pushing the physical limits of what's humanly possible on a bass, but I still need to have a comfortable neck to play. If you're playing for any decent length of time, or in less than ideal circumstances (maybe a little niggling hand/wrist injury or you're sick or whatever) it's good to have a bass that isn't going to make things worse.

I don't think I could play Precisions or Stingrays on a regular basis, it doesn't feel like I grip them right, I think I'd hurt myself eventually. I also get hand cramps playing Ibanez necks, either they're too thin or too flat or something, they feel very weird to me.[/quote]

Fender must have had something like this in mind when they developed the jazz neck, I've gigged jazzes but not that much, perhaps if I did it for sometime I may find myself growing quicker than on my fat necks?

Oh no now I have to buy another Jazz!

[quote name='lojo' post='856581' date='Jun 3 2010, 09:34 PM']Fender must have had something like this in mind when they developed the jazz neck, I've gigged jazzes but not that much, perhaps if I did it for sometime I may find myself growing quicker than on my fat necks?

Oh no now I have to buy another Jazz![/quote]

Haha. Stick to what you know is my advice.

Although TBH the best neck I've ever played - for my hands - is the one I've got in my lap now, a '91 Warwick Thumb. It tapers towards the nut like a Jazz but it feels much rounder and chunkier at the back. I still get on with Jazz necks but when I pick this up I'm immediately reminded of why I bought it.

[quote name='Johnston' post='856636' date='Jun 3 2010, 10:28 PM']As I have said before I have problems and shouldn't be playing, this means I am really sensitive to necks. I love my T-bird but its too thin depth wise. On Saturday I went out window shopping. A MIM P felt quite good I could play it with no major problems, the squier jazz beside it felt nicer up around the 5th-7th frets but as soon as I tried playing down near the nut it felt like someone was sticking a knife through my wrist. I also tried a 50's road worn P I liked it but my hand started getting tight within a few minutes. Then the shop assistant suggested an Ibanez I don't know why because I said I was looking something chunkier, it was like a match stick my hands wouldn't contort into the shapes needed to fret the bugger !!!!![/quote]

My Thumb bass would probably interest you, although to be fair on the strap the lowest positions can feel a long way away. Probably not good for you unless you extended the front strap point a couple of inches.

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='849449' date='May 27 2010, 02:49 PM']I like a playable bass that sounds great. If it fails either of these, what't the point in having it...? :)

That said, I'm almost totally immune the the effects of different neck profiles. My J and P are polar opposites, but I adapt to whichever no problem.[/quote]

+1

Played a precision for 20 years and more recently a jazz - chalk and cheese in terms on neck size/playability, but somehow my playing style alters slightly to compensate and I don't really feel the difference.