Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

dropping to D

lojo

Hi

One of the bands I play with asked me to drop tune a tone, we played our whole set like this and they wish to gig it next week

I've never done this before, expect drop a semi tone on one or two songs in my lifetime

My bass seemed OK, but will loosening the strings that much effect the neck without messing with the truss rod?

I don't really want to set it up different, as no of my other ventures require this, happy to drop, play then return to normal (me and my bass)

Cheers

[quote name='garethox' post='843505' date='May 20 2010, 08:18 PM']Could you get away with just dropping the 'E' string to 'D'? If so, a good solution would be fitting a Hipshot detuner to your 'E'...... flick of a switch 'E' or 'D'.[/quote]

+1

thanks guys

Not really interested in doing this long term, just need to do it for this gig

Main question really is, is it ok for the instrument without adjusting the rod?

If you can fit a flick of the switch D tuner, then I guess it must be ok?

Do many people really use these?

I use a detuner. Works fine. Can be an issue on really skinny necked basses though, putting the other strings out.

Unless you have tapper low action, tuning one string a tone lower isn't gonna make enough offs to worry about. Certainty not gonna break anything.

Its fine for the instrument to drop tunings without changing anything in the setup. However, you may get a little bit of relief in the neck, and you may get a little more fret buzz than you're used to. It all depends on the humidity, and what kinda shape your bass is in (thin neck, thick neck, ebony fretboard, glossed over fretboard, etc.).

I used to tune to drop C (ACGCF) with my old bands. But I play in E standard (BEADG). I did have to change my setup a little bit with the dropped tuning 1 step on all strings, and 2 steps on one string. I have a cheap carvin neck with an unscarfed headstock though... A more high end bass wouldn't have the problems I had.

I say give it a shot at the dropped tuning for a day or 2. If you don't have any playing problems at the end of the 2 days, then your bass has fully adjusted and you won't have to worry about adjusting your setup. If you have problems playing, then when you tune it back to standard, it should go roughly back to normal if not all the way back to normal.

Wood's a little unpredictable like that. But good luck! let us know how the gig goes!

Thanks again, Its helped me not to worry too much about messing up the bass setup

Will just do it (mon practice and fri gig) and see how the bass holds up

I may take 2 basses and keep one standard and just play some of the songs a tone down from usual

What I'd do in this situation is either use my Hipshot extender or play a five string-basically because I don't
really like-or see the point of- detuning any string other than the lowest one. All the other notes are available
to you in standard tuning. One band I regularly play work with wants to drop everything a semitone(well,the
singer/guitarist does)-no problem.....but I'm going to stay in standard tuning.
Of course if you have learned the songs using patterns then dropping the tuning means you can use the exact same
fingerings,but if you are fully aware of the changes and the 'board I don't see that drop tuning is necessary.

[quote name='Doddy' post='845139' date='May 22 2010, 03:32 PM']What I'd do in this situation is either use my Hipshot extender or play a five string-basically because I don't
really like-or see the point of- detuning any string other than the lowest one. All the other notes are available
to you in standard tuning. One band I regularly play work with wants to drop everything a semitone(well,the
singer/guitarist does)-no problem.....but I'm going to stay in standard tuning.
Of course if you have learned the songs using patterns then dropping the tuning means you can use the exact same
fingerings,but if you are fully aware of the changes and the 'board I don't see that drop tuning is necessary.[/quote]

I agree, although for me detuning one string will throw me to much, but I am just going to play the songs a tone down in standard tuning

I may take a D tuned bass as I feel one or two of the numbers work better with the open strings as they are

Bit of a pain really, but they asked for it, they also have a no 5 string bass rule, which is fine as I don't own one anyway, and in my other projects the singer sticks to std keys so lines can be replicated on a 4 string

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='845195' date='May 22 2010, 04:55 PM']:)

No, seriously... :rolleyes:[/quote]

yes seriously, 2 guitarists, all be it very nice blocks, flying Vs (i always say I prefer when you play the strat) and a YES a NO 5 string bass rule

Trouble is, alot of the key changes could do with a 5 sting to keep the lines running in the right direction, but as I say I don't have one anyway

[quote name='lojo' post='845146' date='May 22 2010, 03:49 PM']Bit of a pain really, but they asked for it, they also have a no 5 string bass rule,[/quote]
I don't play 5s... I don't want to play 5s... but this is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

And actually, I suspect I'd lose my cool quite badly if someone decided to tell me what I can and can't do like that. If the bassline is fine, I say they should mind they should mind their own business as to how you get there.

First, I'd have to really really like the band to put up with being told how to tune my bass.

Second, if I did feel I needed a low Eb or a low D on some songs I'd get a D-tuner and use it only on songs that I felt needed low Eb or D. Otherwise I'd just play using EADG.

Third, if there were a lot of songs that need the lower notes then a five string is the answer - but I'd be hard pressed to be convinced that the bass part to the songs couldn't be played quite effectively on a four string while tuned EADG.

Fourth, I'd also be very hard pressed to be convinced to use a five string - but banning them is nuts.

didn't really intend to start a fire here, just a simple question re D tuning

thanks for the replies, yes, its tempting to turn up with a five string, shame I dont have one cause Im not going to buy one

anyway, as stated will stick with std tuning bar a couple of songs

[quote name='lojo' post='845146' date='May 22 2010, 03:49 PM']Bit of a pain really, but they asked for it, they also have a no 5 string bass rule, which is fine as I don't own one anyway, and in my other projects the singer sticks to std keys so lines can be replicated on a 4 string[/quote]
???????? (indicates a 'WTF???') :)

OK, I'm seriously, like, what????? I've not heard that before in any context. You use the tool to get the job done and if that requires a 5-, or 6- or 9-string to do it, then I guess that's what you'd use. But limiting it to just 4-strings is IMHO a bit silly.

You could always bend that 'No 5-string' rule and use a detuned bass tuned DGCF; that way it's still tuned in fourths but you lose the top two semi-tones on the G string (now an open 'F', and who [i]really[/i] goes up that high?). Alternatively, and if you're adept at a little nut DIY, restring a 4-stringer with the lowest four strings of a 5-string set and tune it BEAD (trussrod will need some tweaking if you're using standard strings, because of the lower overall tension on the neck).

Anyway,
HTH, Ian

[quote name='Bottle' post='846373' date='May 24 2010, 11:38 AM']restring a 4-stringer with the lowest four strings of a 5-string set and tune it BEAD (trussrod will need some tweaking if you're using standard strings, because of the lower overall tension on the neck).

Anyway,
HTH, Ian[/quote]

BEAD from a 5 string set on a 4 string seems like a good solution to me.

R.

[quote name='lojo' post='845146' date='May 22 2010, 03:49 PM']....
Bit of a pain really, but they asked for it, they also have a no 5 string bass rule, which is fine as I don't own one anyway, and in my other projects the singer sticks to std keys so lines can be replicated on a 4 string[/quote]

Do they have a no 6 string rule?!

Don't temp me guys, and yes its an image thing with them!

I really like some of the clever ideas presented here, but long term I don't wish to mess around with my perfect good std tuned basses

I am going to take a D tuned bass for the songs which I don't wish to think about changing

And take my new CIJ with flats on in standard tuning for most the songs, cause its my first chance for an outing with it, and Im not D tuning it!

Im a little picky with 5ers but I think some basses look better in 5 string format, (Lakland DJ/JO, Ernie Ball Big Al 5).

You can definitely still have a cool image and not stick out with a 5 string. Unless you want to stick out, which is also cool!

I would just try detuning, I used to do it a lot and had no problems.