Why become a member? ×

Guitar through bass amp!

tegguN

[quote name='tegguN' post='838140' date='May 15 2010, 02:05 PM']So I have a Marshall MB15 bass amp and a Behringer Bass V-Amp- can I run a normal guitar through this set up, and what will it sound like?

Also, if that works- what cheap (under £100) guitar should I get?

Thanks[/quote]

Shouldn't be a problem I don't think. I used to be in a three piece band and I'd play a guitar through my rig if we needed a second guitar. Didn't have any problems.

By the same token a band called The Bronx had their bassist leave mid tour (some family problem or something) so their guitarist went through his bass rig to try and maintain some of the low end.

So yeah, go for it. Not sure it'll sound super great but you could probably get something usable out of it.

As for guitars... try and pick up a second hand squire on ebay? I've heard good things about the yamaha pacifica guitars too :)

[quote name='steve' post='838182' date='May 15 2010, 03:10 PM']I believe Josh Homme played guitar through a bass amp with Kyuss, don't know the specific brands (prolly not a Squier tho :) , not that there's anything wrong with them particularly)[/quote]

[kyuss nerd] Yea, He used his Ovation Ultra Hard Body GP's pretty much exclusivey once kyuss got going, and he played through bass amps quite a lot because they played in C standard and it just sounded better. Not sure about the amps, but Scott reeder and Nick oliveri used Sunn's and Ampegs so I imagine he used those at some point [/kyuss nerd]

To actually answer the wuestion, I play my guitar through my bass rig all the time and it sounds great.

I have a guitarist mate who used a bass head with a 1x15 in his death metal band for years - reckoned it was the only way to get the low-end grunt he was after. And it did sound terrifying! :rolleyes:

Conversely, about 100 years ago I blew up the amp part of my HH VS bass combo and subsequently ran a borrowed 60s Marshall guitar head through the cab, until I got another amp. For a while back then, I pretty much was Lemmy.

And to think if I'd managed to hang on to that old Marshall head, & still had it now, I could probably buy my own planet with what I could flog it for... :)

Jon.

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='838349' date='May 15 2010, 07:24 PM'][kyuss nerd] Yea, He used his Ovation Ultra Hard Body GP's pretty much exclusivey once kyuss got going, and he played through bass amps quite a lot because they played in C standard and it just sounded better. Not sure about the amps, but Scott reeder and Nick oliveri used Sunn's and Ampegs so I imagine he used those at some point [/kyuss nerd]

To actually answer the wuestion, I play my guitar through my bass rig all the time and it sounds great.[/quote]

was sunn i'm sure, there multi purpose not bass amps ;o

Guitar will sound great through a bass amp, maybe a little to clean and hifi for most peoples tastes though!

[quote name='steve' post='838182' date='May 15 2010, 03:10 PM']I believe Josh Homme played guitar through a bass amp with Kyuss, don't know the specific brands (prolly not a Squier tho :) , not that there's anything wrong with them particularly)[/quote]

When I saw him on the first QOTSA tour, he was using some sort of signal splitter after his Ovation, into Sunn amps with 2xflat Marshall 4x12s standing atop an Ampeg 8x10 laying on its side.
Olivieri was using an Ampeg 8x10

On a personal note, a guitarist mate plugged into my Trace stack (1048h and 2103h) and was just playing some rapid palm-muted power chords with hefty down-strokes at rehearsals. He wanted to take it home give it loving!
We didn't. It was truly terrifying. In a good but evilly loud sort of way. Nice to hear it (the amp) sounding so effortless as it wasn't having to work as hard as usual!

I have a friend with an old Laney (IIRC) 1X15 combo, and guitar through that sounded complete pants - irritating, nasal and unbalanced.

However last week I ended up playing guitar through a Hartke HA3500 and 1X15 Carlsbro cab, and it actually sounded pretty good. It was a little weak in the upper-mids, but fine and gritty sounding with a pleasing warmth. If it wasn't so heavy I'd consider using it more.