Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How do i make my sound "bigger"?

[quote name='Faithless' post='837736' date='May 14 2010, 11:16 PM']Forget amps, effects, basses and all other stuff.

What will make you, and, more important, your band sound full and huge, is learning how to work with others.

It's not only you, that make you sound full and huge. It's also other members of the band.

Most important, the drummer. The [i]hugeness [/i]comes from [i]tightness[/i].
You wouldn't believe, how a good drummer enhances bassist. And vice versa.

once again, forget about gear, concentrate on process.[/quote]
Couldn't agree more with this.
We had a rehearsal this morning and the drummer was trying out his new shells (Ludwig Vistalite in blue, for the mono-browed dribblers out there!). After he'd finished masturbating we just locked in together, really tight and the sound/power was immense.
Still smiling now! :)

[attachment=49875:amp.jpg]
Get one of these, Doc Browns 1x120 woofer.
Seriously though, its all about finding a balance with the other two guys. Personally i try to sit just under the guitar mix and keep everything full. Too much bass in a three piece sounds gak IMO unless the line is one which follows the guitar note for note. A tight unit will sound better at any volume, than three guys at high levels trying to out do one another. Plus lots of engineers would kill half of your tonal spectrum with anything other than top range PA gear.

[quote name='Moos3h' post='837937' date='May 15 2010, 09:43 AM']Sod the bass...big cabinets with 15" speakers (with bucket loads of Xmax) and big power to drive 'em.

I can bring down small towns with my two Fanes :)[/quote]

lols :rolleyes:

I love 15 inch drivers.

I have usually given my eq a low mid boost on a 2x10 combo, which gave me a big punch, but since switching to my current rig, all I have to do is dail in the volume and gain, set it flat and the compress it to about 2:1.

I have no experience with this yamaha attitudebass but I can see it has a neck bucker and a P split coil in the mid. It can be that bright of a bass. Correct me if I'm wrong but all I see the bass having is a huge low thump. You would benifit from a jazz type bass as IMO the usual jazz bass growl and treble fills a lot more space in a mix than any P bass would.

To save money though I would probably use the P pickup solo'd, to try and get more Mid frequency, which will punch through and give you a percievdd 'big' sound.

Obviously all this is conjecture and opinion.

Lots of good suggestions here and the variety suggests that "big sound" means different things to different people.

I'm going to guess that what you're looking for is a way to fill out the sound now that there's more space as you're down to a three piece. I'm more inclined to think of this as being a technique/playing issue more than a gear one.

Definitely you and the drummer need to get in the zone. If you can come up with licks that will compliment his fills and if he can learn to accentuate your lines, that's a big part of the battle won.

Don't be afraid to play fewer notes, but make sure you let each of those notes enjoy their full potential - don't choke those quarter notes off until they've rung for a full quarter of the bar, for example - as this will thicken up the sound considerably. A little less attack in your right hand will help too, try to allow the notes to bloom rather than explode and fade.

A nice set and forget compressor will be your friend here. You don't need to have squillions of controls, just level and ratio will do fine to smooth out the peaks and troughs in your volume.

Set your amp level higher than you need and practice playing with greater control and nuance in your right hand (assuming you're right handed lol), if you need more volume, get it from the amp, not from playing harder as this can lead to a loss of control and subtlety.

Think about playing the same line in a (left hand) position further up the neck as this can add a little depth to your tone.

[quote name='P-T-P' post='841020' date='May 18 2010, 03:58 PM']Lots of good suggestions here and the variety suggests that "big sound" means different things to different people.

I'm going to guess that what you're looking for is a way to fill out the sound now that there's more space as you're down to a three piece. I'm more inclined to think of this as being a technique/playing issue more than a gear one.

Definitely you and the drummer need to get in the zone. If you can come up with licks that will compliment his fills and if he can learn to accentuate your lines, that's a big part of the battle won.

Don't be afraid to play fewer notes, but make sure you let each of those notes enjoy their full potential - don't choke those quarter notes off until they've rung for a full quarter of the bar, for example - as this will thicken up the sound considerably. A little less attack in your right hand will help too, try to allow the notes to bloom rather than explode and fade.

A nice set and forget compressor will be your friend here. You don't need to have squillions of controls, just level and ratio will do fine to smooth out the peaks and troughs in your volume.

Set your amp level higher than you need and practice playing with greater control and nuance in your right hand (assuming you're right handed lol), if you need more volume, get it from the amp, not from playing harder as this can lead to a loss of control and subtlety.

Think about playing the same line in a (left hand) position further up the neck as this can add a little depth to your tone.[/quote]

Probably the best advice you'll get, I'm ashamed I didn't think of it first.

let me just say, all these things are true!

but the 2 biggest things about MY rig (which to my ear is massive) is 15" and sansamp

went from a 410 to a 115 and everyone in the practice room on the first song just smiled!! such a change and the guitarish has a full sound - its a bass - go lower!!

plus the sansamp rpm is amazing and THE best £300 i've every spent! no experience with other sansamp stuff, but the touch of distortion it gives fills the whole sound out too!

we're sorting the album atm, so i cant show you the sound just yet, but trust me - any bass with these 2 things sounds (my take on) MASSIVE!

I was playing at the weekend with my trace 2x15 and brightbox through my Gallien head with a smile on my face all night - although it does help playing with the same drummer for 15 years who plays a Premier Signia kit with Kickport.

I turned the OC-2 on and was looking around me to work out where the bass was coming from - it sounded like I'd just been connected up to huuuuuuuge PA subs

sh*t - just realised that this sounds like something you'd read on Talkbs

In the pocket, outtasight, it kills, Jaco etc

[quote name='Moos3h' post='837937' date='May 15 2010, 09:43 AM']Sod the bass...big cabinets with 15" speakers (with bucket loads of Xmax) and big power to drive 'em.

I can bring down small towns with my two Fanes :)[/quote]
How about one of [url="http://www.bassmerchant.com/item_detail.php?product_id=619&category_id=2"]these[/url][url="http://planetsmilies.net"][/url]

In my touring days, I played through a 4x10 with 2x15/1x18. That got me the sound I wanted, but when it came time to play with the band, my sound was... stale. It didn't work with the band, and I could tell during live performances.

As mentioned earlier, filling in the frequencies that the rest of the band isn't covering is crucial. Turns out I had my mids up too high, and that was butting heads and repeating the frequency that the guitars were in. It went well with the vocals though. After I turned my upper mids down, I compensated with room balance and lowering the compression. I also changed the way I was playing a little bit. I lined up my lower notes during slower parts tight with the drummer, and that helped quite a bit.

I don't have any gear advice, as I've only owned a small amount of it. But i do wish you luck! Be sure to post some clips once you get settled :)

When I play with my band we sometimes have two guitarists, one plays very complex tones and lines (and keyboards too) and the other has a light touch and delicate sound.
When the first one is playing I need a cleaner sound and play fewer notes and chords. Otherwise it all goes mushy.

When we play out with the second guy I need a thicker sound so I play more notes, more open strings and chords. I also dial in a little SVT on my Zoom B2.1u and a bit more Vintage Loudspeaker filter on my MB head.
That does the trick

When I play rock I use my Peavey 300 Combo with a 1x15 Black Widow. Totally different sound that fills [i]lots[/i] of space. :)

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='838579' date='May 16 2010, 01:33 AM']You would benifit from a jazz type bass as IMO the usual jazz bass growl and treble fills a lot more space in a mix than any P bass would.[/quote]

That's an unusual opinion! Most people seem to think the opposite! :wacko:

Edited by Conan

I think I had a fairly big sound with my band. Distortion, clean blend, parallel compression and bi-amping were the main ingredients IMO.

Me and the drummer "locked in" just fine. No amount of practicing would give me the huge sound of adding a guitar amp.

If you play with your fingers experiment with the tension in your finger joints... curl your picking fingers for a punchier tone, relax them for a warmer tone with the fleshier part of your fingertips. I sometimes pick with two fingers at once as it loses most of the overtones but that's probably the opposite of what you're trying to achieve.

Adjusting where you pick the string will make a massive difference too, I used to only pluck over the bridge pickup but I'm finding I'm moving around a lot more to get the right tone for the song, or sometimes just for the phrase. Sometimes right up to 22nd fret with my picking hand. Spend some time seeing what different sounds you can just get out of your fingers, you might be surprised.

Also, try some different strings. Some have a strong fundamental and few overtones, some sound like a toddler bashing a grand piano.

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='51m0n' post='838263' date='May 15 2010, 05:08 PM']Try and have a go on a Barefaced BigOne (not the compact, thats not the same sort of thing) or an Epifani UL410 (series 1 preferrably).

Or if you have the cash a Bergantino IP112 and the extension cab or an IP310, with the right pre can sound HUGE.[/quote]

The ISP Technologies rig I had, you could say was a mixture of Big One and Berg IP. It could certainly deliver the goods, especially scooping some mids out and cranking it up!

[quote name='tombboy' post='838411' date='May 15 2010, 08:33 PM']Couldn't agree more with this.
We had a rehearsal this morning and the drummer was trying out his new shells (Ludwig Vistalite in blue, for the mono-browed dribblers out there!). After he'd finished masturbating we just locked in together, really tight and the sound/power was immense.
Still smiling now! :)[/quote]

Woooo!! My ole drummer, Glenn Hughes' Matt Goom (now playing for Raven Vandelle) owns a clear Vistalite kit - I concurr with your views! OMG!! What a kit!! - He also had a Yamaha 'clear' kit as well - and I have to say, those clear shells sound great! ...Hmmm... come to think of it - there's a theme here - my current drummer's kit is a clear Sonor one! - Well... *one* of his kits is!

Immense, punchy and tone tone tone!!

[quote name='silddx' post='838584' date='May 16 2010, 02:01 AM']Just get a POD X3 Live, programme your bass nightmare and let the PA take care of the rest, man. Backline is so '90s

:rolleyes:[/quote]

Yeah, I gotta agree here - the X3 is capable of some really brutal tones, especially as you can mix a deep stereo bass rig with a ..well.. big deep stereo guitar rig! Imagine a big phat bass playing through a massive Hartke stack and a Mesa guitar rig at the same time!!

- Slightly off topic - I've just bought a line6 GX as well, to travel light with and POD FARM 2 is just awesome!!!

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='837673' date='May 14 2010, 10:01 PM']The idea for this came after listening to iron maiden, I want my bass sound to be like John Petrucci's guitar sound that big! (i know he double tracks, and live uses a modded delay pedal set to like 0.1 seconds or something crazy like that)

Also i realise sound clips would help you guys but i have no way of getting you any :)[/quote]

thin and fizzley?

Get a big valve amp, play hard and play loud and rock some decent cabs.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='843601' date='May 20 2010, 10:07 PM']Yeah, you know that thing when he says his rack controls the temperature of the sun isn't real, right?[/quote]

One of my favourite YouTube videos!!

[quote name='51m0n' date='May 15 2010, 05:08 PM' post='838263']

Or if you have the cash a Bergantino IP112 and the extension cab or an IP310, with the right pre can sound HUGE.

Not in my experience. The IP310, with Aguilar, Ampeg and Avalon pres sounded amazing but not huge.

Now, a good preamp with a powerful, reliable power amp, into a big cab, sounds huge.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='843601' date='May 20 2010, 10:07 PM']Yeah, you know that thing when he says his rack controls the temperature of the sun isn't real, right?[/quote]

yeah been a long time since i listened to dream theatre but i thought he rocked the whole lol check my trebs lead tone like yngwie etc

[quote name='umph' post='843997' date='May 21 2010, 12:01 PM']yeah been a long time since i listened to dream theatre but i thought he rocked the whole lol check my trebs lead tone like yngwie etc[/quote]

Malmsteen is a world of his own (where he is god/jesus/king)

Listen to just a clip of him on the album Octavarium or the newest stuff :)

and i like the plan of just rocking out WOOP

after some testing, and gear borrowing, i think i all i needed i some valve amp goodness o_o

[quote name='WalMan' post='841613' date='May 19 2010, 12:49 AM']How about one of [url="http://www.bassmerchant.com/item_detail.php?product_id=619&category_id=2"]these[/url][url="http://planetsmilies.net"][/url][/quote]
No, he needs one of these:

[url="http://planetsmilies.net"][/url] [url="http://planetsmilies.net"][/url]

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='845424' date='May 23 2010, 12:04 AM']No, he needs one of these:

[url="http://planetsmilies.net"][/url] [url="http://planetsmilies.net"][/url][/quote]

Just occured to me that if the House of Bass piled all our big cabs up on their sides, it would be about that big. Bet we have that much valve power too.