Why become a member? ×

Fender classic 70's Jazz Bass ?

artisan

i've just recently bought a RW Jazz,which is awesome btw, & am considering buying one of these as a backup & general jam session/beat up bass,i really like this sunburst/bound neck/blocks combination.
any body own one & if so how do you rate it ?
+ any idea where has the best prices on them, £529.00 is the best i've seen them at.

cheers.

I got one - sell it in 3 days later. somehow I just couldnt set it up. if the neck were straight and action was fairly low (which I do on my other basses ) - that bass would twang and zing BIG time. something were wrong with the construction and (or) frets. also, the tone... were pretty dull. IMHO.

I've got one too. Very nice traditional burpy Jazz sound (especially in the lower register) - got TI flats on mine. Being ultra picky, the build quality isn't top (but then it is a Fender :)) - I had an overly tight G tuner and the bridge was slightly misaligned. I fixed both myself, a bit of remedial work on the tuner and fitted a BadAss II (a very common mod for these basses).

Be warned, if you're just thinking about getting it as a back-up bass, you might find it gets played a lot more than you planned. :rolleyes:

Mine.

I have tried one in Edinburgh...FWIW I thought it was very well finished, much better than the Squiers and standard Mex. It was light weight too and the neck was the nicest I've ever played on a jazz. I can't comment on the tone as I only tried through the shop amps at low volume.

Pretty much every MIM Classic series I've played has been stunning and I've played a lot of them. I'm certainly not disputing a couple of the above comments as you always get duff models but I'd lean towards these bass owners being unlucky. I've played literally dozens (including the 70s RI Jazz) and they have all been great instruments.

Bad points- It doesnt seem to be like many 70's jazzes iv played on. Its light and has a chunky neck and not silly low action. Its not much of a replica IMO

Good points- I prefer this one for the reasons in the bad points! its a fantastic bass and the one in stock at andertons is a great example. Tone and style is also top notch

cheers for the above comments guys,i'm really starting to GAS for one of these real bad,but i'll have to wait & see how the "boner" Jazz bass turns out first.

as to the neck i prefer i slightly deeper jazz neck, like the one on my road worn Jazz,now that is an awesome bass for shure.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='836372' date='May 13 2010, 04:55 PM']Deep.
That's exactly how I'd describe the neck on these. Chunky seems to be overstating it compared to other necks out there.[/quote]

+1

Ive owned just shy of 20 basses (i'm only 19...! :blush: ) but this is the only bass i've owned that feels like mine. Its far from perfect, I think my bridge is slightly mis-aligned, The actions higher than most basses (though thats more preference, it will go a little lower) It was poorly shielded when I got it. But all of these things mean nothing when im playing the **** out of her and she never misses a beat - always sounds massive :)

These are fantastic basses and although I only did a very quick comparison (i didnt look too much at the build) this played equally as good if not slightly better than a Geddy Lee the shop had, much nicer neck for me anyway.

Quick question for those who own these, do they have the big routing around the neck pickup and throught to the control plate like some MIM Jazz Basses do, or is it a nice neat route just for the pickup? I am interested as I really fancy a sunburst one with no pickguard for a kind of Jaco look, they just look great in sunburts without the guard for some reason.

[quote name='NJE' post='837090' date='May 14 2010, 12:52 PM']Quick question for those who own these, do they have the big routing around the neck pickup and throught to the control plate like some MIM Jazz Basses do, or is it a nice neat route just for the pickup? I am interested as I really fancy a sunburst one with no pickguard for a kind of Jaco look, they just look great in sunburts without the guard for some reason.[/quote]
Good news or bad news?

The good news is that the neck pup rout is pup shaped....
... the bad news is that there is a bloody great hole under the p/g for the CNC whatsit. So it's a no go on the no p/g I'm afraid.

Mine again - after I shielded it out.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='837165' date='May 14 2010, 02:05 PM']Good news or bad news?

The good news is that the neck pup rout is pup shaped....
... the bad news is that there is a bloody great hole under the p/g for the CNC whatsit. So it's a no go on the no p/g I'm afraid.

Mine again - after I shielded it out.
[/quote]

oh no what a shame, why do they do it, silly Fender. Got to say though, still not 100% put off, its a fine looking bass.

well i got through to PMT Leeds to try out the 70's jazz but unfortunately it had been sold already-bugger.
i tried out a new mexican standard jazz & was well impressed but didn't buy it,oh no i walked out with a fiesta red road worn P bass,which looks cool on stage next to my fiesta red road worn jazz bass :)

anyone not tried a road worn they are excellent basses,far better than the american standards imo.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='835228' date='May 12 2010, 12:38 PM']I've got one too. Very nice traditional burpy Jazz sound (especially in the lower register) - got TI flats on mine. Being ultra picky, the build quality isn't top (but then it is a Fender :)) - I had an overly tight G tuner and the bridge was slightly misaligned. I fixed both myself, a bit of remedial work on the tuner and fitted a BadAss II (a very common mod for these basses).

Be warned, if you're just thinking about getting it as a back-up bass, you might find it gets played a lot more than you planned. :lol:

Mine.
[/quote]

Beautiful looking bass..with that bound neck and inlays.

Get rid of the red top strings tho... :rolleyes: :lol:

[quote name='JTUK' post='839687' date='May 17 2010, 12:33 PM']Beautiful looking bass..with that bound neck and inlays.

Get rid of the red top strings tho... :) :lol:[/quote]
Cheers.
I'll get on to Thomastik-Infeld about the unsightly colour of their silks for you. :rolleyes:

[quote name='artisan' post='839649' date='May 17 2010, 12:05 PM']well i got through to PMT Leeds to try out the 70's jazz but unfortunately it had been sold already-bugger.
i tried out a new mexican standard jazz & was well impressed but didn't buy it,oh no i walked out with a fiesta red road worn P bass,which looks cool on stage next to my fiesta red road worn jazz bass :)

anyone not tried a road worn they are excellent basses,far better than the american standards imo.[/quote]

*Smiles* I played that Road Worn Precision when I was there last week - Congrats, it's a really nice bass! I ended up walking out with the 50th Anniversary Jazz, though.

Did you try the Sandberg Panther 5 they have there? I really liked that one, had it not been for the cosmetic damage on it, I might have bought it.

Rich.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='839886' date='May 17 2010, 04:28 PM']*Smiles* I played that Road Worn Precision when I was there last week - Congrats, it's a really nice bass! I ended up walking out with the 50th Anniversary Jazz, though.

Did you try the Sandberg Panther 5 they have there? I really liked that one, had it not been for the cosmetic damage on it, I might have bought it.

Rich.[/quote]

:) it is a lovely bass & now i've set it up it's amazing to play & sounds absolutley fantastic,no need to change or mess with anything at all.
i love these road worn basses,i was never a "relic" fan but these things are amazing quality instruments, easily as good as an american vintage re-issue & the tone of them "wow".
i didn't try the Sandbergs i'm afraid,i tried a jazz style one a while back & didn't gel with it at all + 5 strings is just to many for me :rolleyes:

congrats on the 50th anniversary jazz,they look gorgeous but are a tad out of my budget at the mo',have you put a review of it up ?
you know something to fire up my GAS

Edited by artisan

[quote name='artisan' post='839933' date='May 17 2010, 05:18 PM']:) it is a lovely bass & now i've set it up it's amazing to play & sounds absolutley fantastic,no need to change or mess with anything at all.
i love these road worn basses,i was never a "relic" fan but these things are amazing quality instruments, [u]easily as good as an american vintage re-issue[/u]& the tone of them "wow".[/quote]

That's quite a statement considering the price difference - did you compare the AV directly with the RW ?

Is the RW basically the same bass as the Classic series, with no difference apart from the relic finish and the price ?

I tried a Squier CV but it sounded thin and modern compared to my old '63 jazz.

Edited by redstriper

[quote name='redstriper' post='840003' date='May 17 2010, 06:36 PM']That's quite a statement considering the price difference - did you compare the AV directly with the RW ?

Is the RW basically the same bass as the Classic series, with no difference apart from the relic finish and the price ?

I tried a Squier CV but it sounded thin and modern compared to my old '63 jazz.[/quote]

I would imagine the AV and Road Worn sound pretty similar at the end of the day. Measurements and hardware are all the same in the case of the Precision, as is the nitro finish. Obviously they'll vary from bass to bass but they are very similar. The only thing that may be different is that the RW series use the American Std pickups.

The Road Worn is one great bass, basically. Having owned one and played a few, I'm definitely going to get another Fiesta Red Jazz at some point.

[quote name='redstriper' post='840003' date='May 17 2010, 07:36 PM']That's quite a statement considering the price difference - did you compare the AV directly with the RW ?

I tried a Squier CV but it sounded thin and modern compared to my old '63 jazz.[/quote]

i couldn't do a direct comparison between the two as there was no AV basses in the shop at the time, but i have been playing Fender J & P basses for the last 31 years & have owned more than i care to remember,including various AV models ('62P '62J & a '75 J),& trust me these 'ere RW basses are equally as good.
I can gaurantee if you play one you will be impressed with it,as long as the "made in mexico" logo on the reverse of the head stock doesn't bother you.
+ i fairly recently owned a classic series 60's jazz bass & whilst it was a really nice bass it was absolute leagues away from the RW in all respects,the RW bass sounds much better & the build quality is extremely high.
i did do a direct comparison between my RW & a classic 50's P they had in stock & there was no comparison at all,the classic 50's didn't sound anywhere near as good,feel anywhere near as good & had no where near the bulit quality of the RW.
infact i was only supposed to be spending around the £500.00 mark but you know what happens to those kind of plans. :)

Edited by artisan