Why become a member? ×

Lakland sold to Hanson

OutToPlayJazz

Just spotted this on TB this evening...

Press Release, For Immediate Release
April 30, 2010

CHICAGO, IL-USA. Pickup and electric guitar manufacturer Hanson Musical Instruments,LTD, announces that a group, led by itself, has purchased the globally respected bass guitar brand Lakland Basses of Chicago. Former Lakland executive John Pirruccello has been named President of the newly formed Lakland Guitars, LLC, and will be responsible for managing the company's daily operations and future development effective immediately. John assumes these duties in addition to his position as head of the Hanson Musical Instruments guitar division.

Pirruccello's background includes 11 years at Lakland as Global Sales Director as well as the company's Chief Operations Officer. He contributed greatly to the development of current Lakland products, including the "Skyline Series" line of bass guitars; and was responsible for expanding Lakland's dealer and distribution network around the world. “JP” is also a prominent Chicago musician that has performed, recorded and or collaborated with the likes of Keith Richards, Staind, Alejandro Escovedo, Wilco, and others. John will oversee the seamless transition at Lakland's present facilities in Chicago. Lakland Guitars, LLC is retaining current luthiers and support staff.

Hanson Musical Instruments wants to thank Lakland founder Dan Lakin for his vision and stewardship of the Lakland brand, which he founded in 1994 with Hugh McFarland.

Hanson Musical Instruments has been Lakland's primary supplier of bass pickups and preamp products since 2005. The principals of Hanson Musical Instruments, LTD were previously shareholders of Lakland from 2000 until 2009.

Lakland is a manufacturer of high quality bass guitars and accessories.

Hanson Musical Instruments is a manufacturer of professional electric guitars and of electric guitar and bass pickups and electronics.

Websites: www.hansonguitars.com and www.hansonpickups.com

Bo Pirruccello, President
Hanson Musical Instruments, LTD
2044 N Dominick St.
Chicago, IL 60614
[email protected] (847) 207-7680

John Pirruccello
President, Lakland Guitars, LLC
2044 N Dominick St.
Chicago, IL 60614
[email protected] (773) 251-9684

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='Musicman20' post='824431' date='Apr 30 2010, 10:19 PM']I think that's the end of the Lakland that we all know. The past few I tried were not upto standard.

Is Dan no longer part of it then?[/quote]
From reading at TB and at the LOG, it looks like Dan Lakin has gone but the company continues as before without him. John Pirruccello (who was already in charge of sales) and the rest of the team remain.

John Pirruccello with my Skyline Decade before it left Chicago:

If Dan does move on we could have another quality player in the bass marketplace. Remember when Leo left Fender, we got MusicMan and the Stingray, and when he left MM we got G&L and the L1000 and its siblings. This could be a good thing no? One bad thing about the takeover is the "renaming" of the signature models, how bland are a bunch of numbers?

[quote name='ezbass' post='824727' date='May 1 2010, 12:11 PM']One bad thing about the takeover is the "renaming" of the signature models, how bland are a bunch of numbers?[/quote]
I agree but I guess the renaming is something to do with the nature of the 'signature' contracts.

On the other hand, some people wouldn't buy a 'signature' model on principle.

hmmmmm watch this space.

Maybe that is why there have been so many Lakland deals of late.
I am not in the market for a new bass.....but if I were, I'd be keeping a very close eye on the QA of the new basses.
Not really sure of this..

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='824406' date='Apr 30 2010, 09:33 PM']Just spotted this on TB this evening...[/quote]

The entire thread has been removed from TB, something to do with using the press release or something, how crap was that? I hope we're safe from that sort of thing BC.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='824453' date='Apr 30 2010, 10:39 PM']From reading at TB and at the LOG, it looks like Dan Lakin has gone but the company continues as before without him. John Pirruccello (who was already in charge of sales) and the rest of the team remain.

John Pirruccello with my Skyline Decade before it left Chicago:
[/quote]

MB1. :)
...Isn't this the actor in Five USAs... "NUMBERS"???

[quote name='ezbass' post='825711' date='May 2 2010, 06:02 PM']The entire thread has been removed from TB, something to do with using the press release or something, how crap was that? I hope we're safe from that sort of thing BC.[/quote]

Has it?

I got shot down straight away by all the mega-Lakland fans. I stated id seen some appalling QC one recent Laklands and they just werent having it. Excuses all the way through it.

Not good enough....the previous Laklands ive heard were very very good, but since the Skylines became more popular, the modern retail price is way too high.

Time will tell. Lakland make very nice neck profiles so I hope they actually keep going and get better,

[quote name='ezbass' post='824727' date='May 1 2010, 12:11 PM']If Dan does move on we could have another quality player in the bass marketplace. Remember when Leo left Fender, we got MusicMan and the Stingray, and when he left MM we got G&L and the L1000 and its siblings. This could be a good thing no? One bad thing about the takeover is the "renaming" of the signature models, how bland are a bunch of numbers?[/quote]

So look out for "Dan Lakin Designs", just like Mike Tobias.

[quote name='ezbass' post='825711' date='May 2 2010, 06:02 PM']The entire thread has been removed from TB, something to do with using the press release or something, how crap was that? I hope we're safe from that sort of thing BC.[/quote]
Apparently, the OP posting the press release on Lakland's behalf should have asked the helpdesk first. That's TB. :)