Why become a member? ×

My new pink Nordy VP4

kevin_lindsay

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='818018' date='Apr 25 2010, 12:54 PM']one of the best looking basses i've seen in ages.
Mega.[/quote]
Agreed, I can so see the Beach Boys playing one of these

Not sure I could get away with it in a punk band ... well actually I probably could as punters would think it ironic. Me, I think its lovely

PS, Kevin is it passive?

Edited by Clarky

I think that is just fantastic - love the pastel colours. I saw a pink VJ with bound and dots Brazillian board on here and was hooked. I would have no qualms whatsoever in playing that bass anywhere - just a fabulous slice of '50s Americana. I've got to get a shell pink to go with my sonic blue - I'm inspired

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='818145' date='Apr 25 2010, 04:06 PM']Lovely looking bass, but not sold on the colour - Faded Fiesta Red is the closest I go to pink, personally. :)[/quote]
Hey OTPJ, Faded Fiesta Red is well documented as the first step towards acknowledging your feminine side - pretty soon, you will be enquiring of Rob Green about a Shell Pink Status :rolleyes:

Okay, the bass is being picked up today by DHL and will make it's way across the USA and Atlantic to me - should be here by the end of the week - depending upon how quick Customs are at clearing it this end.

As for the comment about the Shell Pink Nordy VJ5 - yeah, that was mine. I was actually looking for the shade of pink we've got on this new P-Bass, but due to my providing incorrect details, it ended up with the Shell Pink look. That bass played and sounded AMAZING, but the colour wasn't what I was after so it was sold - it's now in Austria.

As for my new pink bass - it's a traditional passive Vol, Tone layout. Swamp Ash body with 1 piece maple neck (fingerboard radius 9"-14"). The neck is CHUNKY - 0.875" at the first fret, and 1.0" at the 12th". I did this to replicate the hefty necks on the early P-Basses. They are incredibly comfortable and sound super solid and woody due to the baseball bat neck.

I'll keep everyone up to date with how it actually plays and sounds when it arrives in a few days time. Carey says that it sounds great, so I'm looking forward to receiving it.

As for the colour of the paint - I'm not sure. What I did was buy an A4 sheet of coloured paper at an art supplies store in Glasgow to show Carey what shade of pink I was after. That meant the sprayer could match the colour up rather than having to rely on my own description and judging it against something on a computer monitor.

Edited by kevin_lindsay

Okay, so the pink wonder has been taken out for a test drive at a rehearsal - it sounds REALLY good!!!!! The Tone is just as a P-Bass should be with deep lows and a lovely top end "zing". Dead spots? Only the one at the Eb on the G string (8th fret position).

The neck is chunky at my own request - I wanted to emulate the early P-Bass style necks. The feel is big but is in no way clubby or clumsy - it feels really comfortable in the left hand and the notes have a fantastically woody tone - just what I was looking for.

In a band setting the bass sounds incredible - the natural sound just sits in it's own pocket on the mix and rumbles along. Everyone commented on how clear and solid it sounded. The colour is exactly what I wanted, so I'm extremely happy. delivery was quick also. Left Carey's workshop mid afternoon on Tuesday (around midnight Tuesday night my time), and was delivered to me here in Scotland on Friday lunchtime).

I'll try and get some sound clips posted.

Here's some initial pics (including some with chrome covers placed on the body to see how they would look)

• 2 months later...