Why become a member? ×

Studio or Live album's??

bubinga5

I have quite a few studio albums by various artists, but the ones i enjoy most are the live ones...they have so much more atmosphere...

albums that spring to mind are Donny Hathaways 'these songs for you' LIVE...this is prob me and my sisters favorite album of all time...you only have to listen to hear how good this band are with Willie....never mind Donny's voice..IMO the best soul voice ever recorded...true gospel power and control..as a song writer Stevie is the man, but when it comes to voice Donny Blows him away IMO..who knows what Donny would have come to had he lived past his age of unfortunate death....wonderful talent...

the best bass playing ive ever heard....Willie Weeks reminds me of James Jamerson here..behold Willies playing....man does he play this soo well..he bounces around this song like a magician..on a P too..

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogNnJk3xOh0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogNnJk3xOh0[/url]

The other is Maxwell's Live and Unplugged...friggin love it....he really is the father of street soul..

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJbNJJNDdUU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJbNJJNDdUU[/url]

The last is what im listening to now...Erica Badu Live...i love this album so much..from cover's of Roy Ayers's 'Searchin' to the wonderfull 'Tyrone'....check out her lyrics....the best track is the Heatwave's Boogie Night's.that turns into Jones Girls classic....the walking bass is great but when it kicks in it's f***in cool..

Tyrone live...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVSIPHQdQT0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVSIPHQdQT0[/url]

any one got any other live albums to check..soul funk or not..

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='801417' date='Apr 10 2010, 12:16 AM']I have quite a few studio albums by various artists, but the ones i enjoy most are the live ones...they have so much more atmosphere...

albums that spring to mind are Donny Hathaways 'these songs for you' LIVE...this is prob me and my sisters favorite album of all time...you only have to listen to hear how good this band are with Willie....never mind Donny's voice..IMO the best soul voice ever recorded...true gospel power and control..

The other is Maxwell's Live and Unplugged...friggin love it....he really is the father of street soul..

The last is what im listening to now...Erica Badu Live...i love this album so much..from cover's of Roy Ayers's 'Searchin' to the wonderfull 'Tyrone'....check out her lyrics....the best track is the Heatwave's Boogie Night's.that turns into Jones Girls classic....the walking bass is great but when it kicks in it's f***in cool..

Tyrone live...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVSIPHQdQT0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVSIPHQdQT0[/url]

any one got any other live albums to check..soul funk or not..[/quote]

One of my favourite live albums right now is "Rastafari Centennial Live in Paris" by Steel Pulse. Some of their over produced studio songs really come to life with a full band. Can't say I've heard much live soul/jazz/funk albums, if any. An all time favourite live recording of mine has to be the Pulse tour by Pink Floyd, the version of Another Brick in The Wall part 3 with the extended solo is fantastic. Bought the CD for my dad and soon stole it back!

Donny Hathaway's 'These Songs for You' is a great album,but check out
the album 'Donny Hathaway Live'. It's a masterclass in groove from start
to finish,culminating in one of the best Bass solos ever put on record,courtesy
of Willie Weeks.

I don't see the point in live albums, generally. Primus' "Suck On This" is pretty cool, but it wasn't a vanity live record, it was one of the only recordings of Primus you could get.

I like studio albums, they show what a band can do in a studio. I like live performances, you get a one-night-only version. I'd rather live stays live and it's for the people who were there.

Primus did it kind of backwards by releasing 'Suck on This' as their debut and then
doing studio versions later on-with the exception of 'Jellikit'.

My favourite live recordings are probably anything by Phish. The whole
jamming nature of the band makes every performance of a song
really interesting and different,and it's great to hear songs that they never
put on their studio albums.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='801455' date='Apr 10 2010, 02:16 AM']I don't see the point in live albums, generally. Primus' "Suck On This" is pretty cool, but it wasn't a vanity live record, it was one of the only recordings of Primus you could get.

I like studio albums, they show what a band can do in a studio. I like live performances, you get a one-night-only version. I'd rather live stays live and it's for the people who were there.[/quote]
im presuming you are giving a comparison...if not i like your later...they do both...

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='801458' date='Apr 10 2010, 02:25 AM']im presuming you are giving a comparison...if not i like your later...they do both...[/quote]

Well I tend to find that "live" albums sound just as polished as studio albums anyway. So you end up wondering how much of the live performance found its way on to the "live album".

That's what I meant about 'Suck On This'. It was the only example most people (outside California) had of Primus' music at the time and it was pretty raw. It also happened to contain some seriously excellent performances.

I don't think I trust live to mean live any more. And even if it did I would rather have a studio album over a live album. As for Phish, I was touring the USA when they were touring with the Dead, and I was over there when Gerry Garcia died. They do what they do and they're good at it but I always thought they were insincere and cheap. And they basically inherited a following by adopting that jam band formula and having the right proportion of tie-dye t-shirts and dreadlocks.

I never trusted those f***ers.

My collection is probably small compared to most on BC, but out of the 250 or so albums I have, only 1 is live - Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense.
I just don't even consider them. As others have said, a lot are messed about with so are not as live as one might think they are. Also a lot of the time they're a bit like greatest hits albums, so you miss those hidden gems on the studio albums.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='801455' date='Apr 10 2010, 02:16 AM']I like studio albums, they show what a band can do in a studio. I like live performances, you get a one-night-only version. I'd rather live stays live and it's for the people who were there.[/quote]

Generally, I agree with this......but there is one exception that I can think of, off the top of my head - and that is Rush's "All The Worlds A Stage". Whilst I like the preceeding studio albums, they seemed to lack something, but live! The true potential and power of some of the songs, really shone through.

For me - the "live" experience is both aural and visual......take one away and it's not the same - like watching a live video with the sound down - it's out of context!!!!!

I love live albums. A bit of post-production doesn't bother me too much.

Donny Hathaway Live, Seconds Out (Genesis), Too Late to Stop Now (Van Morrison), Ashes of American Flags (Wilco), Midnight Ramble (Levon Helm), Rock of Ages (The Band), Rust (Neil Young), How the West Was Won (Zeppelin).. I could go on but I won't.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='801485' date='Apr 10 2010, 06:37 AM']I don't trust live albums these days. Far too much post production IMO.[/quote]

I hate to say it, but even the best bands seem to think it's alright. My most recent DVD's are David Gilmour's 'Live in Gdansk' and the Rush 'R30 tour', and the audio and video really bothers me. They're both too glossy, if ya know what I mean. It's nauseating.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='801490' date='Apr 10 2010, 07:19 AM']I love live albums. A bit of post-production doesn't bother me too much.

Rock of Ages (The Band)[/quote]

I was going to make these two points.

I especially enjoy a live album on a long car journey.

Studio albums used to be recorded live, plus overdubs, now it's mostly "play by numbers".

Real music is live music, and these cd's are a fantastic example of top musicians playing at the top of their game. I got live albums from the Band x2, Little Feat x 2, Delbert McClinton x2, Johnny Winter, The Greyboys Allstars, BB King x3, Bill Withers, Donny Hathaway, Edgar Winter, Jon Cleary, Clapton x2, Hendrix, Charles Mingus, The Meters, James Brown, Tower Of Power, Lettuce, The Stones, Muddy Waters, Steely Dan, Neville Brothers, Bob Marley, Albert Collins, The Who, Albert King, Otis Redding, Galactic, The Commodores, and Bobby Bland x2.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='801833' date='Apr 10 2010, 02:54 PM']IMO, the production of Rush live albums has always been awful.. Flat and compressed.

The best so far was the bonus disc on Different Stages...[/quote]
Couldn't agree more, as much as I love Rush a lot of the live albums don't sound great, especially the more recent ones. I do love "Exit, stage left" tho.

hmm... live against studio..??

I wonder how many tracks on people's websites here are live... ? and if not, why not..????
You are selling live gigs mostly..no..?????

We have a live edit...but had to run it through an editing suite to EQ the vocals better as we put a Zoom box at the side of the stage as an afterthought and that wasn't the best place for the vox...as it turned out

so I wouldn't complain if there was some post production on a live album as long as they didn't fix the playing..

I've just thought of a few more:
Johnny Cash Live at Folsom Prison & Live at San Quentin

For sheer energy I'd recommend the Geno Washington 60s set of 'Live' albums
Hand Clappin' Foot Stompin' Funky-Butt ... Live!
Hipster Flipsters, Finger Poppin' Daddies
Running Wild
Despite sounding like they were recorded 'back in 68 in a sweaty club', only one of the albums was actually recorded at a real gig though - the other two were recorded 'live in the studio' with an invited audience.

[quote name='JTUK' post='802069' date='Apr 10 2010, 07:54 PM']We have a live edit...but had to run it through an editing suite to EQ the vocals better as we put a Zoom box at the side of the stage as an afterthought and that wasn't the best place for the vox...as it turned out[/quote]
That's just mastering - you always have to do that to some extent, especially without a multitrack recording. I think people are complaining more about the increasing amounts of overdubs you get on 'live' albums - I remember reading the sleeve notes of one of my Zappa albums where a single song was made up of performances from all over the place spliced together with a guitar solo added in the studio. Sounded good though.