Why become a member? ×

How to value a P-Bass

Grambo

Having just finished yet another gig racked with neck/shoulder pain due to my ridiculously heavy PB, I think she needs a new home :)
Trouble is - what is she worth? The instrument was fitted with EMG's in the 80's (IIRC) and is otherwise original, but "well gigged" - little dings everywhere
and the chocolate brown finish completely worn off an area on the left side of the body. She has a black scratchplate, maple neck (no bridge/pickup gaurds) and she looks great! - a bass with history.

The serial number - S872933 - suggests that she was made in '77/78 and I would welcome any suggestions as to how I might establish a fair value. I know it's a long shot but someone out there may have bought/sold a similar bass recently....

Any ideas?
[attachment=46736:100_2321.JPG]

I'm sure someone here will have a useful comparison, but the market is not good, its not from one of Fender's "finest moments" and its got EMG's and its a heavy one...I'd retire it for a while, rather than sell, if possible.

I'm assuming you're using a w-i-d-e leather strap (or comfort strap) etc to help with the weight?

Had a quick trawl through Evilbay and there's a '76 up for sale at £1300 ish and a '79 for a £1000. So that's a good place to start.

I do understand your pain though, I can recommend the P-bass Lyte as a good alternative. The weight difference is very noticeable, but a change of the pickups might be in order to get that 'P' punch back.

[quote name='BassBod' post='799590' date='Apr 8 2010, 10:38 AM']I'm sure someone here will have a useful comparison, but the market is not good, its not from one of Fender's "finest moments" and its got EMG's and its a heavy one...I'd retire it for a while, rather than sell, if possible.

I'm assuming you're using a w-i-d-e leather strap (or comfort strap) etc to help with the weight?[/quote]

Oh yes - a very wide strap! - I think the problem is more one of age more than anything (I'm into my 50's)

I might retire it, but need to replace it with something, so must seriously consider selling......

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='799596' date='Apr 8 2010, 10:42 AM']Had a quick trawl through Evilbay and there's a '76 up for sale at £1300 ish and a '79 for a £1000. So that's a good place to start.

I do understand your pain though, I can recommend the P-bass Lyte as a good alternative. The weight difference is very noticeable, but a change of the pickups might be in order to get that 'P' punch back.[/quote]

Actually, I like the sound of the EMG's - though I just might still have the originals somewhere!
Anyway, thanks for the advice.

[quote name='BassBod' post='799672' date='Apr 8 2010, 11:56 AM']I've always liked EMG's in a Pbass too - punchy and warm, but with added bite if you want it..but most people will pay a lot more for the originals.[/quote]
Guess that's so - I'll have to look in the shed! (but I still prefer the EMG's...)

[quote name='silddx' post='799690' date='Apr 8 2010, 12:15 PM']I'd keep it and spend a couple of hundred on a decent S/H Hohner Steinberger cricket bat copy. You'll be amazed at the quality tones and build, and they are very light.[/quote]
Funnily enough I already have a Hohner Jack - nice enough, and very light but it just doesn't do what I need.

I have the same problem!

I've just bought a Jap P bass from 1993:

this one:

[url="http://www.fareastguitars.co.uk/usedpb1.htm"]http://www.fareastguitars.co.uk/usedpb1.htm[/url]

It weighs 7.7 lbs! light as a feather after my US models so they are out there if you search a bit.
I'm also waiting for a Fender P bass Lyte to arrive that I bought off ebay.

[quote name='BassBod' post='799672' date='Apr 8 2010, 11:56 AM']I've always liked EMG's in a Pbass too - punchy and warm, but with added bite if you want it..but most people will pay a lot more for the originals.[/quote]
I like my EMP P with 18v of oomph! Not so good powered from 9v though.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

[quote name='Grambo' post='799565' date='Apr 8 2010, 10:16 AM']Having just finished yet another gig racked with neck/shoulder pain due to my ridiculously heavy PB, I think she needs a new home :)
Trouble is - what is she worth? The instrument was fitted with EMG's in the 80's (IIRC) and is otherwise original, but "well gigged" - little dings everywhere
and the chocolate brown finish completely worn off an area on the left side of the body. She has a black scratchplate, maple neck (no bridge/pickup gaurds) and she looks great! - a bass with history.

The serial number - S872933 - suggests that she was made in '77/78 and I would welcome any suggestions as to how I might establish a fair value. I know it's a long shot but someone out there may have bought/sold a similar bass recently....

Any ideas?
[attachment=46736:100_2321.JPG][/quote]

You can enter details of your bass on this website - [url="http://www.may-studio-music-lessons.com/vintage-guitar-values.html"]http://www.may-studio-music-lessons.com/vi...tar-values.html[/url] - to get the value. Haven't tried it myself but may be worth a go!

I'm with Stinson on the price.

I own an immaculate 1978 Mocha Brown Fender P-bass that is a good weight. Musuem pieces are going for around £1500 & irrespective of what you think of EMG pickups without the originals you aren't selling an all original bass. If you can find the original pickups, remove the EMG ones and I reckon you could be looking at £1200 - but I'd find a positive spin on mentioning the weight!

If it helps, mine came with original receipt, original strings (not on the bass), original case, ashtray covers etc

So yours won't go top wack as it's been a real players bass by the sound of things. £800-£1100 as it is and with original pup £1200. I reckon

Best of luck

[quote name='Grambo' post='800164' date='Apr 8 2010, 08:27 PM']Yeah! Just tried that - it's probably in the 11 - 12lb region.[/quote]
Ooh! That's a porky old bass.

Mind you, some would have it that weight adds 'sustain'. Stick an extra £100 on top for this desirable characteristic :)

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='800385' date='Apr 8 2010, 11:34 PM']I'm with Stinson on the price.

I own an immaculate 1978 Mocha Brown Fender P-bass that is a good weight. Musuem pieces are going for around £1500 & irrespective of what you think of EMG pickups without the originals you aren't selling an all original bass. If you can find the original pickups, remove the EMG ones and I reckon you could be looking at £1200 - but I'd find a positive spin on mentioning the weight!

If it helps, mine came with original receipt, original strings (not on the bass), original case, ashtray covers etc

So yours won't go top wack as it's been a real players bass by the sound of things. £800-£1100 as it is and with original pup £1200. I reckon

Best of luck[/quote]

Thanks for that - nice bass BTW - it only needs a maple neck and it would be mine's alter-ego!!

[quote name='tom1946' post='799869' date='Apr 8 2010, 03:10 PM']I have the same problem!

I've just bought a Jap P bass from 1993:

this one:

[url="http://www.fareastguitars.co.uk/usedpb1.htm"]http://www.fareastguitars.co.uk/usedpb1.htm[/url]

It weighs 7.7 lbs! light as a feather after my US models so they are out there if you search a bit.
I'm also waiting for a Fender P bass Lyte to arrive that I bought off ebay.[/quote]

So ... it was Mr Tom1946, on the internet with a speedy transaction! Curses.

I was angling after that very same bass from Far East, and missed out by about an hour. 3rd bass in the last month I've been 2nd in the queue for - must learn to act faster. Enjoy it, it looks a beauty. And a P-Lyte! Good taste that man. Mind if I ask what you paid for the P-Lyte? I have mine on my insurance, but I've no idea of what it would realistically cost to replace it. Cheers.

Edited by Simon.