Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What do you do when.......

JMT3781

Sorry for the seemingly random post, but my girlfriend is watching tv in Norwegian, and im waiting for my viewing of choice to buffer :)

What do you do when your on stage, rocking away, Throughout the whole set you've been a good boy/girl and simply held down the low end (as per some job descriptions) and finally you reach that one song in the set that has that a gap between phrases in the verse that has the perfect gap for a tasty sweet little flourish of bass goodness...

So the moment arrives.... You prepare yourself by contorting your face into a look of most utmost pain and concentration, and begin your moment of glory. The run goes seamlessly, you hit all the notes you planned to, from the octave above where you were all the way up to major/minor tenth (depending on mood) with your 1 bar of glory complete you descend your desired scale back to the deep end anddd....

Bang! Your mind goes blank and you have no idea what the next chord is.. you have mere milliseconds to:

a. Try and remember the actual chord

b. Try and remember the key of the track, and sit on that, with a superior look on your face so everyone thinks your just being clever and creating some sort of inversion

c. Jump straight into another fill, maybe faster this time so everyone thinks you simply wern't finished

d. Stop playing for the 1 of the next bar, drummers do it sometimes? why cant we try it?

e. go for the 1 in 12 chance that any random note could be the right one (or at least work)

or finally

f. Just be sensible and not attempt any such things in the first place :rolleyes:

Any other suggestions to this problem would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by JMT3781

never think about it.... too much thinking can make you tense-up.

But if I couldn't rememeber the way out...I'd probably slap pat/slide for the split second it would take to pick it up..and I'd try not to compound the mistake so keep people guessing as to whether it was actually meant to be like that...

I wouldn't respond to any of the looks from the band.. IF they were uncool enough to look at me with a WTF look on their faces either.
Carry on as usual..nothing going on here etc etc ... :)

[quote name='JTUK' post='798816' date='Apr 7 2010, 03:32 PM']never think about it.... too much thinking can make you tense-up.

But if I couldn't rememeber the way out...I'd probably slap pat/slide for the split second it would take to pick it up..and I'd try not to compound the mistake so keep people guessing as to whether it was actually meant to be like that...

I wouldn't respond to any of the looks from the band.. IF they were uncool enough to look at me with a WTF look on their faces either.
Carry on as usual..nothing going on here etc etc ... :)[/quote]

+1 on all that

i find i only make such mistakes when i'm bored, and letting my mind wander.
same as when i'm driving lol!

Gives me an idea on a new thread: What do you think of when your mind wanders when you are playing a gig? And what thought patterns cause the most mistakes.

Lets face it, most of the answers probably wouldn't get through the filter!

I. Play through an Ashdown. No note definition means that you can play anything and it will just be heard as a mass of wool-like rumbleish. Of course that defeats the purpose of you playing any flourish because it won't be heard.

Nobody will be listening anyway. If somebody has turned up to your gig, they are there to watch the Ashdown burst into flames.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='798827' date='Apr 7 2010, 03:41 PM']I. Play through an Ashdown. No note definition means that you can play anything and it will just be heard as a mass of wool-like rumbleish. Of course that defeats the purpose of you playing any flourish because it won't be heard.

Nobody will be listening anyway. If somebody has turned up to your gig, they are there to watch the Ashdown burst into flames.[/quote]

Any ashdown users, although i laughed heartily at this comment, i in know way condone or agree with the comment.
No death threats please :)

m. Point your finger in the direction of one corner of the room (important: do not point directly at anyone, especially if they are bigger/angrier/more tattooed than you) and scream "OH MY GOD, WHAT'S [i]THAT[/i]??". Everyone's attention will be diverted long enough for the iffy moment to pass and nobody will notice that you made a dog's breakfast of the fill. When their gaze returns to you, simply smile and pretend that nothing happened.

I've been in a similar situation a couple of years back. On reaching the chorus of a rather under-rehearsed cover of "The One I Love" my mind went completely blank. I played a series of notes that were patently wrong and decided that maybe the guitar chords would give me a clue. Looked round at the guitarist to see what he was playing so at least I could busk through some root notes, only to see him frantically tuning up, as he assumed that the out of tuneness was his fault and not because I'd lost the plot!