Why become a member? ×

Anything better than Marvel straplocks

iconic

[quote name='iconic' post='792500' date='Mar 31 2010, 09:21 PM']....My wife bought me a set of Marvel straplocks which are now on my VMJ and they work just fine...now I need some for my 414....is there anything else that I should consider out there?....[/quote]
On a practical level you should use the same strap locks on all your basses, then any strap will fit any bass.

I've used Dunlop strap locks for 20 or so years and would recommend them to any one.

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='793304' date='Apr 1 2010, 01:43 PM']. Schallers are dodgy, I don't want to be making sure the screws are tight before a gig...[/quote]

I have used them for years,they never come loose for me.Granted,the screws supplied are a touch smaller than the ones fitted as standard on a lot of guitars,but it is nothing that a cocktail stick and wood glue ca'nt fix.

People usually recommend what they use, but basically a strap lock is a strap lock.

Except Schaller.

They are good if they work, and many do, but they have a problem when fitted to some basses because the screw is undersized and can come loose! If this happens to you, you have to do the DIY thing with cocktail sticks and glue! This has been the situation for many years and they haven’t fixed it. Not a good example of German design efficiency in my opinion.

I don't know Marvel but if you already use them and like them get another set.

[quote name='D-COOPER' post='793166' date='Apr 1 2010, 12:10 PM']Iv just got a set of Ernie Ball strap locks for my SB2 and they are fantastic!! Totally solid with 360 degree rotation.They look great too with the EB logo on
them.Gold, black or silver.[/quote]
+1 on that - I really don't think very many people have tried these as Schaller/Dunlops are such a convention. I splashed out on the EB ones some time ago and I would never go back to Schallers - all my basses get the EB ones which I have never ever had to re-tighten once.

I agree on Schallers. I've had them on several basses, and am always having the screws come undone. Why they can't supply thicker screws is a mystery to me. The best result I had was when I drilled out the button and used the screws from the original button that the bass was supplied with. When I bought my Shuker, John offered to send me a set of Schallers for nothing (mine is an early JJ before he fitted them as standard). I decided to stick with Grolsch washers-my mate found me a nice blue one from a bottle of posh mineral water-I'm still trying to find a second one!

[quote name='Alastair' post='792995' date='Apr 1 2010, 09:43 AM']Grolsch washers! Seriously, they kick ass and they come with a free bottle of beer![/quote]

Agree +10000. I swear by the ol' Grolsh washers and use them on all my basses (except my fretless which has Schallers on).

Now if I can convince Erdinger to do a swingtop beer with washers then my life will be complete :)

i have both schallers and dunlop straploks, imo the schallers are
very poor in comparison to the dunlops, plus the dunlop can be
used as a normal strap button, i would have dunlops on all but
a couple of my basses came with schaller buttons on them standard
schaller are simply un secure and don't alow 360 degree rotation which is
useless tbh, the marvel ones mentioned look ok but i'll stick with th dunlops
plus they arent noisey, the schallers rattle something awful. if the marvel ones are
as good s dunlops, might try them in the future

Ive used Shallers for years and not had any accidents. Based on a thread last year i changed to Dunlops.
Im happy with them other than on both my MM Sub and my Ray34 i couldn't get the horn screw in properly. I dont know why its just these two basses but ive now gone back to Schallers.
I put some nail polish on the nuts to lock them in place on the strap and lke i said, never had one fall off.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='795193' date='Apr 3 2010, 12:43 PM']For those having trouble with the Schallers...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=70420"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=70420[/url][/quote]
Nice! Very informative. I've been using Schallers on my guitars for many years. It didn't take long to figure out the drawbacks, and the solutions. I use them on my basses as well.
I also use the Marvel straplocks on guitars with the front strap pin down by the neck joint. The Schallers poke me in the gut! The Marvels are a bit more comfortable. Straps are relatively inexpensive, at least the ones I use, so I have a strap set up to work with those particular guitars.

I love to read the responses when strap locks are the topic. Especially when someone asks "Which strap locks are the BEST?" :)

[quote name='absolutpepper' post='795155' date='Apr 3 2010, 05:53 PM']Agree +10000. I swear by the ol' Grolsh washers and use them on all my basses (except my fretless which has Schallers on).

Now if I can convince Erdinger to do a swingtop beer with washers then my life will be complete :)[/quote]
All beer should be swingtop! Utter genius invention tbh. :rolleyes: