Why become a member? ×

The Bass Doc Layin' It Down...

wateroftyne

Hi folks

I popped in to the Maggie Bank in North Shields last night to see Howard 'The Bass Doc''s bad The Stax Brothers. It was rammed, and the band were fab, playing that stuff exactly like it should be.

For various reasons I couldn't hang around long, but I made a little video...

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='780508' date='Mar 20 2010, 09:26 AM']Hi folks

I popped in to the Maggie Bank in North Shields last night to see Howard 'The Bass Doc''s bad The Stax Brothers. It was rammed, and the band were fab, playing that stuff exactly like it should be.

For various reasons I couldn't hang around long, but I made a little video...[/quote]

Looking good Doc. Hey that's not Leo's pens in your shirt pocket is it? :)

Funny how someone always sticks their head in teh way when you are filming .......

Edited by OldGit

I was about but only for the end of the first half and upto halfway through the second. The Metro still confuses me despite it being very straightforward. There were a lot more trains after the apparent 'last train home' so I should have stayed around.

Bsss Doc's P/J is absolutely stunning.

A very pro band, and it was great to see a mixture of all ages involved in one band.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='780742' date='Mar 20 2010, 01:14 PM']A very pro band, and it was great to see a mixture of all ages involved in one band.[/quote]

Thanks for that. Guitar and bass - early 60s, sax and drums - mid twenties. Nice that it still works without any ageism.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='780737' date='Mar 20 2010, 01:07 PM']I [i]love[/i] the bassist > drummer moment at about 1:15.[/quote]

Well spotted Mr. S. You'll find that I am mouthing the words 'Soul Man' at that point. Being a simple drummist, he often needs reminding which number we are playing even when it's well under way. :)

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='780797' date='Mar 20 2010, 02:20 PM']Well spotted Mr. S. You'll find that I am mouthing the words 'Soul Man' at that point. Being a simple drummist, he often needs reminding which number we are playing even when it's well under way. :)[/quote]

Good to know the "older guys" are still out there rocking and a rollin !!! and a great clip from The Maggie Bank

Proper Boys gig tonight at Blackbird in Ponteland if you like heritage rock and new member Neil "Toots" Perry injecting some soul on sax

Be there or be square

Johnbiffa

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='781133' date='Mar 20 2010, 08:25 PM']Nice playing Doc, you pinned that choon to the wall. The tone of the guitar, bass and brass all sounded authentic too. Your guitarist had a shaky start though timing wise, didn't he? :)[/quote]

I think the perception of the guitarist's timing may be down to the inevitable delay in listening to the choon in New Zealand. :rolleyes:

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='781451' date='Mar 21 2010, 10:28 AM']I think the perception of the guitarist's timing may be down to the inevitable delay in listening to the choon in New Zealand. :rolleyes:[/quote]
Is that where you send him to rehearse? :)

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='780760' date='Mar 20 2010, 01:26 PM']Thanks for that. Guitar and bass - early 60s, sax and drums - mid twenties. Nice that it still works without any ageism.[/quote]

I think you should get the guitarist and sax guy to swap clothes/hats for one gig though :) Maybe for a fundraiser :rolleyes: