Why become a member? ×

Finally joining the 'covers/function' scene

Musicman20

[quote name='Conan' post='771254' date='Mar 11 2010, 08:46 AM']I know that I'd rather be gigging with a covers band than just "rehearsing" with an originals band, unable to get gigs! :)[/quote]

Yeah Like myself you tend to start off playing original music- aiming to "get there" spend loads of time- though as you are young you have the time to spend. Then realise that really unless you are lucky you wont make a living out of it- then go into covers bands as semi and then full pro level. Then realise you want more from life. Then start your own business which does OK- then realise that you want more from life.....................and join a cover band on a semi pro basis- then think " have`nt I been here before?

Bob

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' post='771382' date='Mar 11 2010, 10:58 AM']Yeah Like myself you tend to start off playing original music- aiming to "get there" spend loads of time- though as you are young you have the time to spend. Then realise that really unless you are lucky you wont make a living out of it- then go into covers bands as semi and then full pro level. Then realise you want more from life. Then start your own business which does OK- then realise that you want more from life.....................and join a cover band on a semi pro basis- then think " have`nt I been here before?[/quote]

Man, that's creepy! Apart from the "own business" bit... I guess a lot of us have been there! :) All of that "how serious are you?", "We have record company interest" and "Are you prepared to move down to London?" bollox! Memories eh? :rolleyes:

Edited by Conan

Of course certain songs have certain parts which have to be hit.. I mean you can't fundementally alter the bassline to 'I wish' that much
but that doesn't mean everyone else has to ape the parts of the song.

I maintain there is far more scope and enjoyment to be had from doing things your own way but you still have to get it across.
There isn't much point if it doesn't work but if you want to hear the record, put on the CD.

The best bands round here...IMV.. are the ones with players in it not the ones that play Queen's greatest hits or copy bands.

We are a new band but haven't had any issues so far and will be putting in originals if they are strong enough.

It is all about the tune and how is comes over. If you go down well and attract people, then that is all there is to it.

I have just spent my last amount of money for 'gear or music related items' on a posh T Rex Chameleon Power Supply and TC Nova Repeater (mainly for guitar as I sold my Line 6 DL4 and delay is the only guitar pedal I really like)....oh and a ticket to Groezrock.

Thats it now...until this band get earning in early summer I can have no GAS :)

Probably a good thing.

[quote name='JTUK' post='771454' date='Mar 11 2010, 11:59 AM']Of course certain songs have certain parts which have to be hit.. I mean you can't fundementally alter the bassline to 'I wish' that much
but that doesn't mean everyone else has to ape the parts of the song.

I maintain there is far more scope and enjoyment to be had from doing things your own way but you still have to get it across.
There isn't much point if it doesn't work but if you want to hear the record, put on the CD.

The best bands round here...IMV.. are the ones with players in it not the ones that play Queen's greatest hits or copy bands.

We are a new band but haven't had any issues so far and will be putting in originals if they are strong enough.

It is all about the tune and how is comes over. If you go down well and attract people, then that is all there is to it.[/quote]

In my experience- done most of it -playing for more than 30 years- in loads of cover bands- + some name bands-touring Uk and abroad-if you are paid to entertain the punters as a covers/fuction band ( call it what you will ) the first time you put an original song in the punters will leave the dance floor in droves.

Its all about horses for courses- just a little time taken to learn, say 30 songs, if you get the material right you will get gigs and get paid. If you dont- that means dont put originals in ( there are specific gigs for those )- any you will only have one chance - wave those cover gigs bye bye.

I was in one particular original band who required gear and funds for recording time. We learned a full covers set and made enough money to fund the original band. We would never have put any of our original songs in the set.

bob

If that works for you then fine.

We will put a few originals in if they stack up better than the covers. They are good songs but need to hit the mark like any
other song.

For this current band I am not really interested in functions so will not pander to that market..having said that we have a few coming up but they came about from our pub set, so that is what they'll be getting.

Weddings..? different kettle of fish but we will only do them for friends.
If I wanted to go down those routes I could pick up the dep scene again but that is what burnt me out last time.
Far more picky these days about the gigs and we find that we can look at 2 a month at present without travelling far, say 10-15 miles.
There are a couple of places that we might want to try and break into and tentative enquires say they are booked up for the year....:) :rolleyes:
and then you see who is on the roster...???? oh well...!!
Once you have a worthwhile name, you'll get the gigs whatever you play... the booker wants a turnover, so you can see a hoard of spotty 17 yr olds but if you fill his venue and the bar take shows it, he'll love you...even if he goes elsewhere that night. He'll be back to count the takings.

Everyone knows all this anyway..you can spout about what you'll play and the rest...but the proof is in how many gigs you get and retain.
Our balancing act is how to please ourselves.. having been round the block a few times..we are less inclined to play their game but if it is fun and there is a few quid in it, that'll do.

[quote name='Faithless' post='771690' date='Mar 11 2010, 03:05 PM']The only question that bothers me, when I see people saying about 'having found a [i]good [/i]band' is, well.. Do you know, why the previous bassist left the place? Just curiosity, nothing deep.[/quote]

There could be loads of reasons for this, so I'm not sure paranoia is necessary! You could always ask, but if the reason was contentious the answer may not be forthcoming or accurate!

I'm not sure what difference it makes... just coz the last guy didn't work out doesn't mean that you won't...

[quote name='JTUK' post='771556' date='Mar 11 2010, 01:14 PM']For this current band I am not really interested in functions so will not pander to that market..having said that we have a few coming up but they came about from our pub set, so that is what they'll be getting.[/quote]

Without knowing the contents of either of your sets its hard to comment on that. What I have found though, after playing in a few bands that "will not pander" or "this is what we play, like it or lump it", is that the gigs eventually run out....

Just my two pennies worth.

Playing covers in a "covers band" actually made me a little more disciplined in my approach to playing, which then made my writing bass parts for "original's" so much better as I had to listen & learn bass parts from other, far better players than I. Particularly songs/artists and bass players I would never had chosen to listen to before.

Basically it reduced my musical snobbery. I'm very happy breaking down and learning note for note the bass part for a new song, instead of busking it. It's interesting hearing how, and why, a part is played.
Don't forget some bass parts of famous tunes would have been suggested by some of the best producers in the industry....worth taking notice me'thinks.

Just a thought......that's all

I left my cover band because:

1) the guitarist, although as sound as a pound, was crap and knew it, but didn't seem to want to do anything about it!
2) the singer was crap, but thought he was God's gift (and thought he could turn up late to gigs to avoid lugging equipment, 'cos rock stars don't do that sort of thing)
3) the drummer (and 'band leader') couldn't keep time all that well and wouldn't listen to anyone elses ideas about set content, dress, venues, money, etc (even thought he could choose which of my basses I would use - MISTAKE!). Any arguments involved his dummy being thrown out of his pram at extreme velocity...
4) I'm lazy/couldn't be bothered/missed having my Friday and Saturday nights free

Really it was just 4. I could put up with 1, 2 and 3 - I've had plenty of practise over the years!

Having said that I'd join another cover band today - [b]if it was the right one[/b]

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='Faithless' post='771690' date='Mar 11 2010, 03:05 PM']The only question that bothers me, when I see people saying about 'having found a [i]good [/i]band' is, well..

Do you know, why the previous bassist left the place?

Just curiosity, nothing deep.[/quote]

Left or was pushed out? It could work both ways.

I've played orginal tunes mixed in with a covers set. Just don't tell the audience.
First time they may look puzzled but by the time they have seen you do it three time (assuming it's good) they are singing along with the choruses....

You have to be very clear about your quality control.

[quote name='OldGit' post='771903' date='Mar 11 2010, 05:54 PM']I've played orginal tunes mixed in with a covers set. Just don't tell the audience.
First time they may look puzzled but by the time they have seen you do it three time (assuming it's good) they are singing along with the choruses....

You have to be very clear about your quality control.[/quote]

I had posted another post along these lines but seemed to have lost it..

But yes, basically, it was about us knowing what works more than a booker.
A good song is a good song.

Bitter experience of lots of years in covers bands...

* Don't be humpty if only two people turn up or nobody dances. Give the same performance you would if there's where 200 people going mad.

* Agree with the venue how much and how long and stick to it.

* Don't drink too much

* Get in the frame of mind for learning songs quick. Probably only a small percentage of songs "we might do" make it to gigs. Learn to get the basics down in minutes. Tart it up later if it gets into the set.

* Know when you can just busk it and know when it has to be exactly right.

* Mustang Sally is harder to play well than you might think

Thanks for all the advice. Im going to have a good look at this thread over the next few weeks.

The band seem to be of the opinion that the bass can 'wonder off' at certain points and they invited me to add a few runs etc, but as mentioned, the solid bass lines that are recognisable need to be tight and pretty close to the original. Depends on the song I guess.

My finger style has really come on now. One year ago I rarely played fingerstyle, but in this band I can play virtually all the songs finger or pick style....which IMO is important.

Some songs just SOUND right fingerstyle, whereas the rockier songs need that pick snarl.

We have a new vocalist as well now, and he seems to gel well and have a good rock voice. First gigs for the new lineup are being booked for late May early June.

On the note of the old bassist, basically they said he was an old friend, but he was struggling to get to practice as he now lives a fair while from the practice rooms. Not only that, I think he needed more time with family etc. So, it seems it was all amicable.

Cheers

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='772633' date='Mar 12 2010, 12:00 PM']* Don't be humpty if only two people turn up or nobody dances. Give the same performance you would if there's where 200 people going mad.
* Mustang Sally is harder to play well than you might think[/quote]

Absolutely!
Two points often missed.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='772633' date='Mar 12 2010, 12:00 PM']Don't be humpty if only two people turn up or nobody dances. Give the same performance you would if there's where 200 people going mad.[/quote]

Well if its a function i think the host will be really hacked off if only 2 people turn up lol.

[quote name='largo' post='773675' date='Mar 13 2010, 04:04 PM']But there might be only 2 people dancing. I find it happens more often where it's a private party and all the guests are sober to start with. The secret is playing songs that get the girls dancing. The blokes soon follow ![/quote]

A free bar is the bands best friend.