Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

[quote name='OldGit' post='596345' date='Sep 12 2009, 09:33 AM']Karma will get him back, Dave.[/quote]

Well he has been quiet for the past week so maybe he was just letting off steam. Or building a case against us. Who cares.

Got a wedding tonight and we have to play 3 x 60min sets :-(. glad its fairly local.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='596375' date='Sep 12 2009, 10:07 AM']Well he has been quiet for the past week so maybe he was just letting off steam. Or building a case against us. Who cares.

Got a wedding tonight and we have to play 3 x 60min sets :-(. glad its fairly local.[/quote]

Get any emailed commenst from punters at the gig?
Keep them in case it gets ugly.

Played Windsor in the park by the Thames. House amp was a Laney that I had to play around with to get a half decent sound. Band played well and we sold a bunch of CDs that we got to sign for the audience (ironically it was only the singer from the band who was on them but they wanted us all!). A lovely hot day for an outdoors show.

[quote name='OldGit' post='596524' date='Sep 12 2009, 01:20 PM']Get any emailed commenst from punters at the gig?
Keep them in case it gets ugly.[/quote]

We had a great one from the brides father thanking us, we also had the grooms father tell us how much he enjoyed the night and would book us again if he could. Cant get much better than that.
Funny thing is when the Agent emailed the twat about the email from his fater-in lawsaying how well he thought everything went he did his nut and said it had nothing to do with him.

Its been over a week now and we havent heard anything, im sure we will but its going through the agent and they are 100% on our side.

Played at the Bitter Suite last night a reunion gig for The Lamb, which used to be Preston's top venue when it was open. It was the first gig with my new band The Silver Dogs - I've only been with them a couple of weeks but had managed to learn enough to do an hour's set.

We completely blew the audience away and I only made a couple of minor booboos so today, I'm very tired but very happy.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='597835' date='Sep 13 2009, 11:08 PM']Played Windsor in the park by the Thames. House amp was a Laney that I had to play around with to get a half decent sound. Band played well and we sold a bunch of CDs that we got to sign for the audience (ironically it was only the singer from the band who was on them but they wanted us all!). A lovely hot day for an outdoors show.[/quote]
We were in Windsor too, outside the closed down Woolworths. We've not busked for a few weeks, due to afternoon bookings and it seemed like hard work getting started. Town was quieter too. Eventually it got busier, quite late in the day, and we slipped back into the swing of street work with a load of banter and general showmanship and were rewarded by a decent crowd. Sold a respectable number of CDs and the tips were very good indeed. Good to get back to it. :)

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='597921' date='Sep 14 2009, 07:29 AM']It was the first gig with my new band The Silver Dogs - I've only been with them a couple of weeks but had managed to learn enough to do an hour's set.

We completely blew the audience away and I only made a couple of minor booboos so today, I'm very tired but very happy.[/quote]

Glad to hear that - you seemed pretty shaky about it t'other day. Bit of adrenalin's a wonderful thing!!

Revolver Club - Birkenhead. Late show but what a cracking gig. If you're fussy about the monitors though - take your own.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='597954' date='Sep 14 2009, 09:01 AM']Glad to hear that - you seemed pretty shaky about it t'other day. Bit of adrenalin's a wonderful thing!!

Revolver Club - Birkenhead. Late show but what a cracking gig. If you're fussy about the monitors though - take your own.[/quote]

I had to put a lot of time in Dave (as usual) to get up to speed and yeh, I was a bit edgy about doing the gig but it went really well.

Birkenhead? Bloody hell mate, that's a bit of a trip for you innit?

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='597957' date='Sep 14 2009, 09:14 AM']Birkenhead? Bloody hell mate, that's a bit of a trip for you innit?[/quote]

Only about 80 miles and the fee was good plus they gave us rooms on the cheap. We're having to travel further to do the ZZ trib - though we support that with 30mins of Doc B. Sadly we can't find anywhere to do the trib locally other than the odd charity do.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='597851' date='Sep 13 2009, 11:27 PM']We had a great one from the brides father thanking us, we also had the grooms father tell us how much he enjoyed the night and would book us again if he could. Cant get much better than that.
Funny thing is when the Agent emailed the twat about the email from his fater-in lawsaying how well he thought everything went he did his nut and said it had nothing to do with him.

Its been over a week now and we havent heard anything, im sure we will but its going through the agent and they are 100% on our side.[/quote]

Wow sounds like you were lucky he didn't go postal on the night

[quote name='teej' post='597946' date='Sep 14 2009, 08:35 AM']We were in Windsor too, outside the closed down Woolworths. We've not busked for a few weeks, due to afternoon bookings and it seemed like hard work getting started. Town was quieter too. Eventually it got busier, quite late in the day, and we slipped back into the swing of street work with a load of banter and general showmanship and were rewarded by a decent crowd. Sold a respectable number of CDs and the tips were very good indeed. Good to get back to it. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Every time I read one of yours I want to come and see you :) Ever tour Wales?

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='597978' date='Sep 14 2009, 10:07 AM']Only about 80 miles and the fee was good plus they gave us rooms on the cheap. We're having to travel further to do the ZZ trib - though we support that with 30mins of Doc B. Sadly we can't find anywhere to do the trib locally other than the odd charity do.[/quote]

I know it's a trek but our local good venue starting putting on "the country's best tribute bands". May be worth a punt if the fee's good.
[url="http://www.theglobecardiff.com/"]http://www.theglobecardiff.com/[/url]
We had the Hamsters ZZ Hendrix show a few weeks back... That went well.
Nearly Dan's here soon too .. That's Pete Academy on here so you can ask him how it goes .. I guess you could ask him for good trib venue ideas ...

[quote name='OldGit' post='597998' date='Sep 14 2009, 10:37 AM']Wow sounds like you were lucky he didn't go postal on the night[/quote]

Thats the thing, he was ok on the night. He didnt really smile the whole night (even before we played) but complain about anything at the time.
He was very stressed out but didn't put preasure on us to start or anything like that.
we thought it had all gone well.

[quote name='OldGit' post='598005' date='Sep 14 2009, 10:44 AM']I know it's a trek but our local good venue starting putting on "the country's best tribute bands". May be worth a punt if the fee's good.
[url="http://www.theglobecardiff.com/"]http://www.theglobecardiff.com/[/url]
We had the Hamsters ZZ Hendrix show a few weeks back... That went well.
Nearly Dan's here soon too .. That's Pete Academy on here so you can ask him how it goes .. I guess you could ask him for good trib venue ideas ...[/quote]

Thanks matey - I'll have a look at that. We're not short of gigs , at least at the rate that we want to play them , but one thing on the cards for next year is lining up a few long weekend mini tours in further away parts of the UK. If we can find a couple more in Wales - why not!

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='598014' date='Sep 14 2009, 10:54 AM']Thanks matey - I'll have a look at that. We're not short of gigs , at least at the rate that we want to play them , but one thing on the cards for next year is lining up a few long weekend mini tours in further away parts of the UK. If we can find a couple more in Wales - why not![/quote]

Check out the Hamster's tour venue list for ideas :)

Played the Tower Tavern in Fitzrovia (that's London for you provincial types) on Friday. Since I joined the band in June 2008, we've done a few "live" gigs over the internet in Second Life (not my thing at all, but our guitarist is a long-time Second Lifer), but this was our first real life gig. The band has gigged before in different incarnations, but not for a few years. We were fourth band on out of six - got 30 minutes and played 6 original songs in our own inimitable off-the-wall hippy pagan/eco rock stylee. We brought at least 20 punters, and there were something like 100-150 people there altogether. I'd been fighting off some kind of ear-nose-throat infection for the previous couple of days, and was dosed up on Ibuprofen and Vitamin C for the evening, felt lousy beforehand, but once at the venue adrenalin and excitement took over. No nerves, great fun and the set was well received. We had been hoping to have our new album ready to sell, but sadly it didn't arrive from the pressing plant in time. Got a mate to film the gig, but haven't seen the tape yet - I'm told it came out quite well.

This was my first gig as a bass player for well over 25 years, and my first gig of any kind for about 15-20 years (I used to play piano in a duet with a jazz/blues singer in the late eighties, early nineties).

The Tower Tavern is a good venue, I think - the sound guys were really friendly and helpful, and they seem to have a good regular crowd as well as all the folks brought along by the bands. The backline and drumkit were provided, and they have a decent PA, so it was easy to turn up on public transport.

I think I'll be doing more of this! :rolleyes:

EDIT: Album has just arrived, apparently! We're on a roll! :)

Edited by Earbrass

Wedding for a really nice couple soiled by a Pratt of a hotel event manager whe clearly though the band were just one more flippin' annoyance....
Grumpy and stupid all night - like taking 30 minutes to let us in to the empty room when the B&G had asked us to set up early (very early for an after work gig) and fast.
Then he strutted into the room when we were half way through setting up to demand we moved all the empty cases and covers beside the dance floor as he had to move some tables in.
We ignored him as we had to get set up and sound checked and he'd already caused us a 30 minute delay. Then teh DJ arrived and setup opposite us. He was nice and friendly and chatty so no problem there, phew.

He was all over the place - the band can't get it's food 'til the guests have had theirs...
Ok, Pratt, so when we have to start again and we're still eating that will be Ok?

the B&G said we should play the second bit from 10 and carry on 'till 11 or 11.15 if it was going well because they wanted us "not some records being played" before handing over to the DJ .. Fine with us.

So at 11 o'clock, prompted by the Pratt, the DJ started talking over his PA in a "hey let's hear it for the band" stuff.. We quickly told him to shut up and moved to our last dance (that's 15 minutes)

At 11.15, with Pratt manager on his shoulder telling him what to do, he talked over the end of our last number, with it's quiet "thanks from the band" end of night bit as if we were a record.
We'd already signalled to the Pratt manager that we were ending with that one and we clearly had a plan and "end of show" bit to do ...
Unlike a record though, we had a PA and "hang on Darren, we're just finishing here" came over loud and clear ..
I was livid and had to go out for air.

So, we'll not be playing there again as long as Pratt is on duty.

I'll have a chat to the B&G when they get back from honeymoon and they can do teh complaining ....

Oh and we had a decibel meter with us. Band 105 db peak. Disco 120db!

I was so glad I had my new custom earplugs with me, specially during clearing up.
They were very successful and I'll be wearing them at all gigs with drummers from now on. As an added bonus they made it very easy to hear what I was playing

WOW, what a nightmare. Care to name the Venue?

We had what should have bene a nice easy one last night in Dorset. A 6pm get in, set up by 7 and start at 8pm with 2 x 60mins sets, finsh at midnight.
Well, being London based and it being friday me and the drummer go tthere at 6.50pm, left east london at 3pm. guitar and singer who also left at 3pm got the at 8.20pm :-O. M25 and M3 were pretty nasty yesterday.
Luckily the B&G (and venue) were reallyl relaxed and very understanding. We got set up in record time and started at 9pm. It turned out that curfew was 11pm and not 12, bonus. As we had started late we insisted we would play the full 120 minswith a small break and the venue let the wedding party keep the room for an extra 30mins free of charge.
Gig went really well, As usual there was a fat bird with her dress up almost around he waist going mad on the dance floor most of the night and lots of nice compliments and cards given out.
Got a social club to night, back to reality.