Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

26 minutes ago, Obrienp said:

I do that with my Warwick Gnome. Knowing my luck, it would be the cabinet and not the amp that develops a fault and then I’m stuffed 🥴.

Depending on the gig size i would normally have my wee Markbass Ninja head on top of whatever i'm using as a main amp just in case. Always have twin cabs so even if a cab goes down i'm still covered.

Dave

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Merton said:

Tonight’s gig was awesome, and remarkably quiet.

Got about 5 mins into my 25 min drive, then got a WhatsApp from the drummer - who was already at the venue - saying “stand down, they haven’t got the booking in their diary”

FFS.

So I turned around and went to the pub with the guitarist (also my bro in law).

That's a happy and sad moment.

Always look on the bright side of life. When one door shuts the pub door opens. :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Great gig last night at the castle theatre in Wellingborough, first show with my new LFSys monza . Fantastic clarity and the fact that you can hear it very well from all sorts of different standing positions really is so refreshing. Very happy with it so far IMG_7705.thumb.jpeg.06ec41b0e2adba8c3ab6dbf34604d19c.jpeg

• Like 16

9 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

That's a happy and sad moment.

Always look on the bright side of life. When one door shuts the pub door opens. :laugh1:

Dave

Yup! Also meant I wasn’t getting home at 1.30am and unloading in the pouring rain before a long drive to Cornwall today. Every cloud 😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, tubbybloke68 said:

Great gig last night at the castle theatre in Wellingborough, first show with my new LFSys monza . Fantastic clarity and the fact that you can hear it very well from all sorts of different standing positions really is so refreshing. Very happy with it so far IMG_7705.thumb.jpeg.06ec41b0e2adba8c3ab6dbf34604d19c.jpeg

I might look into that as some areas i stand the bass tone fades a bit. I know that's quite normal in most cases but it would be great not having it.

Dave

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tubbybloke68 said:

And a beautiful 5 string Wal to boot.  Do you chain it to the music stand?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, tubbybloke68 said:

That’s reassuring to hear about the Monza, as I just got one as well (as you know from the Monza thread). I can’t wait to gig mine and find out how it performs live. Unfortunately, both the the bands I play in are currently suffering a gig drought. Nice bass BTW!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

I might look into that as some areas i stand the bass tone fades a bit. I know that's quite normal in most cases but it would be great not having it.

Dave

Hi Dave, obviously I was also through the PA/monitors etc last night but at the three rehearsals I’ve used it so far it really is great at this.. I think the actual clarity of the mid/top end stands out for me. X 😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Obrienp said:

That’s reassuring to hear about the Monza, as I just got one as well (as you know from the Monza thread). I can’t wait to gig mine and find out how it performs live. Unfortunately, both the the bands I play in are currently suffering a gig drought. Nice bass BTW!

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed, I actually ordered two but haven’t used them together at a gig yet, but watch this space…..😉

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tubbybloke68 said:

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed, I actually ordered two but haven’t used them together at a gig yet, but watch this space…..😉

Please let us know how they perform, when you use the two of them together. I am guessing loud and clear!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, tubbybloke68 said:

Hi Dave, obviously I was also through the PA/monitors etc last night but at the three rehearsals I’ve used it so far it really is great at this.. I think the actual clarity of the mid/top end stands out for me. X 😊

I love the idea of this tone but if i switch of the GAS filter and look at what i'm doing in my own bands its all 1970's covers either in the Glam or the punk bands. My Ampeg SVT7 thru my Mesa cabs does give me that old style tone but there are times i could do with that clearer mid to high tone cutting thru a bit.

Dave

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I love the idea of this tone but if i switch of the GAS filter and look at what i'm doing in my own bands its all 1970's covers either in the Glam or the punk bands. My Ampeg SVT7 thru my Mesa cabs does give me that old style tone but there are times i could do with that clearer mid to high tone cutting thru a bit.

Dave

We probably should take this conversation to the Monza thread but at the risk of sounding like an LFSys fanboy, you can get that vintage sound out of the Monza. It will give you whatever you put in. What it won’t necessarily give you is a predetermined coloured sound. I have discovered that I can get it to do vintage by using the VLE control on my Markbass LMIII but it will also do a really hi-if slappy sound if you want it to and everything in between.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Obrienp said:

We probably should take this conversation to the Monza thread but at the risk of sounding like an LFSys fanboy, you can get that vintage sound out of the Monza. It will give you whatever you put in. What it won’t necessarily give you is a predetermined coloured sound. I have discovered that I can get it to do vintage by using the VLE control on my Markbass LMIII but it will also do a really hi-if slappy sound if you want it to and everything in between.

Yeah I think you’re right, I find the’taste’ control on my puma so good for this too.😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Merton said:

Got about 5 mins into my 25 min drive, then got a WhatsApp from the drummer - who was already at the venue - saying “stand down, they haven’t got the booking in their diary”

A similar thing happened to me once. En route to the gig and got the call it had been cancelled, so the band met up at another pub on the way.

Where I had a chat with the landlord and booked 2 gigs there. So every cloud... 😆

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

A similar thing happened to me once. En route to the gig and got the call it had been cancelled, so the band met up at another pub on the way.

Where I had a chat with the landlord and booked 2 gigs there. So every cloud... 😆

Brilliant when a plan comes together :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tubbybloke68 said:

First show with my new LFSys Monza . Fantastic clarity and the fact that you can hear it very well from all sorts of different standing positions really is so refreshing

I had the first gig with my Monza last night. I have been using LFSys cabs since they started, going through the Silverstone then Monaco and now the Monza. There is nothing wrong with the other two cabs, but my old arms need a lighter cab these days. The 11kg is fine, and it fits well in the boot (car, not the better half). I will do a review another time, but suffice to say I was not disappointed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Two for the price of one. Bar a brief feeling of normality on a couple of occasions, I spent three weeks nursing the worst bug I have had in years so yesterday was going to be my Pheonix rising from the flames moment. We started at Vinyl Realm Music Shop, initially to 1 person but within a couple of songs, the shop was full! No amps and mainly mandocello for me. The owner described me as "highly ADHD" afterwards!

7f41d384-3066-4352-9b9a-bcf58efe0a9f.thumb.JPG.75e0540f8345a13bdadd8df340c6212a.JPG

We then went on to the The Southgate Inn in Devizes (same town) and did two sets. I was bass for the second set but the aforementioned mandocello, mandolin, one song on guitar and some lead vocals too!  The place was jumping at the end. Who'd have thought an originals / covers 50/50 split of gothic music would get the bar staff bopping along and fill out three bar areas of people dancing?! 

IMG_8294.thumb.WEBP.c48188ed9570874225cdb28465776288.WEBP

I appreciate that people are on here for basschat but we did pick up a nice little local review. If I learned one thing reading it, going goth was a great way to get off with the posh girls... I never knew! Goth boys in Devizes 

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Cat Burrito said:

The place was jumping at the end. Who'd have thought an originals / covers 50/50 split of gothic music would get the bar staff bopping along and fill out three bar areas of people dancing?!

Gothic music has definitely had something of a resurgence in the last few years. You'd have thought it would all be people in their 50 and 60s trying to relive their youth, but some of my bands' most enthusiastic fans are only in their 20s! Besides all the great goth music is eminently danceable whatever your age!

• Like 3

On 23/02/2024 at 15:48, Bluewine said:

Great shot!

Daryl

Thanks although a big stage with great lighting and excellent photographers always helps. We have to just turn up and pose!

Here's a few more that have just popped up on Facebook:

428704133-853891740041971-94002916930827

428686521-853891790041966-41354243189465

428666011-853891800041965-48430268696115

• Like 13

22 hours ago, Obrienp said:

I do that with my Warwick Gnome. Knowing my luck, it would be the cabinet and not the amp that develops a fault and then I’m stuffed 🥴.

I'm hoping that my current woes are related to a dodgy speaker cable now my Elf has been given a clean bill of health by Trace Elliot, and not that there's an issue with my BF cab as that will be a lot costlier to repair/replace.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, asingardenof said:

I'm hoping that my current woes are related to a dodgy speaker cable now my Elf has been given a clean bill of health by Trace Elliot, and not that there's an issue with my BF cab as that will be a lot costlier to repair/replace.

I find cables are usually the first port of call when things happen or don't happen 👍

Hopefully that will be the issue. I bought a cable tester few yrs back where you plug both ends in and it detects the fault for you. Does jack, xlr and speakon. Handy bit of kit.

To be honest i have an electronics / electrical background and happy with my trusty old multi-meter.

Dave

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I find cables are usually the first port of call when things happen or don't happen 👍

Hopefully that will be the issue. I bought a cable tester few yrs back where you plug both ends in and it detects the fault for you. Does jack, xlr and speakon. Handy bit of kit.

To be honest i have an electronics / electrical background and happy with my trusty old multi-meter.

Dave

I managed to rule out everything in the signal chain up to the amp at the gig, including bypassing my pedal board, and now the amp is in the clear it's the bits after it that are now in the frame. Cable tester sounds like a good shout though, might have to look into that.

Edited by asingardenof
typo
  • Like 2

@Cat Burrito, that's a great review; your duo sounds great.  If I'm ever in your area, or you're in mine, I'll make a point of coming to see you play.  I was in a very short-lived Goth duo in High Wycombe, once, but I think I'd prefer to see you guys doing it properly rather than remember that little project!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, asingardenof said:

I managed to rule out everything in the signal chain up to the amp at the gig, including bypassing my pedal board, and now the amp is in the clear it's the bits after it that are now in the frame. Cable tester sounds like a good shout though, might have to look into that.

Out of curiosity what actually happened with the amp/cab when it failed. 

What were the symptoms. Might help us BC'ers to advise where to look.

I bought the tester from Amazon yrs ago. Works off a 9V battery but the battery lasts for well over a year as its not something you will use much until a cable fails.

Here's the new version of mine with added computer cable testing by looks of it at £61.

Dave

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MFL-Rectangular-13-Plug-Checker-Indicators/dp/B0972J2ZR9/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1AN2XNHUZBD9K&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.eZNIhqKHAqdqQPWZ8EkC2Wm9mCQAhEoLbDKNn_KLEywi-46-_mliQeRlRZkt9TcxwbDRxWdBBAtQSDXSgY4kMNdnkV-Cu9K_m3AZzL9NZeWaDpcU9VpEq2yj-LwIDXrwj0-TmjGdzn-HFmyWezMXe2aRAXW9199K1kx-TYgrdZxAOfc8JCgePrM13CL6FqOEgV5BGFR2dCBbCX6NC32_fzKWVkect1DAqi9aq9bE9ACHSyxAYrLtwKvt8_GZyUsTqoFcSCZ-ouZckOiB0Enykhca2PruhOZZ0KW3_Qz999k.AGnMSfGF0vkXHHlbwvbHm6SaNINWa7M2LxmKtzw-wvM&dib_tag=se&keywords=cable+tester&qid=1708898376&sprefix=cable+tester%2Caps%2C110&sr=8-5

• Like 2