Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

8 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I don't think we we're in our comfort zone. We do better playing in kitchens.

Daryl

20240106_185942.jpg

20240106_185721.jpg

I missed that post earlier Daryl. @Lozz196 comment triggered me to go back and have a wee look.

Fantastic stage set up plus access from side door. Drum riser too. Very professional.

Nice one

Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, dmccombe7 said:

I missed that post earlier Daryl. @Lozz196 comment triggered me to go back and have a wee look.

Fantastic stage set up plus access from side door. Drum riser too. Very professional.

Nice one

Dave 

Thanks Dave,

More pics from last night.

Daryl

FB_IMG_1704655573920.jpg

FB_IMG_1704655599702.jpg

• Like 9

Just now, Bluewine said:

Thanks Dave,

More pics from last night.

Daryl

FB_IMG_1704655573920.jpg

FB_IMG_1704655599702.jpg

Looks amazing. Was it a good night. 

Have to say the first pic you are all looking at your left hand on the necks at the same time. I love seeing band in sync. :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, dmccombe7 said:

Looks amazing. Was it a good night. 

Have to say the first pic you are all looking at your left hand on the necks at the same time. I love seeing band in sync. :laugh1:

Dave

Very under sold event. At least we got some  good pics out of the deal. 

Daryl

• Like 4

On 06/01/2024 at 00:08, Obrienp said:

The band I have depped for recently does covers, so I just had to learn their set list and do a couple of rehearsals with them. It has gone pretty well on the gigs I have done with them. i also depped on guitar and bass in a ceilidh band a few years back. They gave me a bunch of sheet music, which wasn’t much use as I can barely read traditional notation. Fortunately, one of them had the patience to go through it with me, identifying the chords and I took it from there, plus several rehearsals. Fortunately, the fiddle player played most of the lead parts. It would be much more difficult with a band doing their own material.

As for being known: I go along to our local blues society jams regularly and met the band leader (drummer) at those. The society has an available for depping list that I had put my name down on. He approached me to dep. I also used to go to lots of local folk club sing arounds, which is how I got the ceilidh band slot. 

Depping is fun IMO. It stretches you a bit and you get to play with a wider group of musicians. It does require a lot of effort but the return is that you improve as a musician.

I really enjoyed the gig I depped for.  I learned the songs I didn’t already know (I had to learn about 12 of 15 or 16).  4 or 5 were originals - it was fun doing them. One of them was entered as a candidate for the UK entry to Eurovision ( it didn’t get selected).   I did an Instagram diary on the prep with the intent of putting it on YouTube as a guide to prepping to dep (still an intent😜).  I had a practice with the guitar player.  The gig went well.  The key things for me were prep, get a run through with at least one of the band members, then enjoy it.

I think it improved me as a musician.

• Like 14

Picked up a last minute gig Friday night, at a regular venue for the busy band - so regular, in fact, that we cancelled a few gigs leading up to Xmas (we were booked every 4 weeks) and into the New Year, but the landlord had been let down by another band. Very quiet (about a dozen people in the lounge, and another dozen in the pool room), I've no idea how they make it work financially...still, we got paid, and it's one of the more local gigs for me, so travelling wasn't an issue...

• Like 12

Yesterdays gig (Sunday) was in the lounge of an ‘old school’ working mans  club in what we still refer to as a ‘pit village’ despite the fact their pit closed in the 1980’s.

This is a regular gig for us that we play twice a year. It’s always well attended and yesterday was no exception despite it being the first full weekend of the new year. Played to around 100 enthusiastic punters who get the band and our choice of music. Some idiot (that’ll be me then) forgot to pack the reel of XLR cables so we were ‘back line only’ which meant a lot more stage volume than normal, but the audience didn’t seem to mind. Another plus was the drummer going in-ears - he’s now a convert so that’s three down two to go towards getting the whole band on IEM’s 😎

• Like 12

"It's gonna be free practice for us tonight...super quiet"... Lead Singer

Well it was the start of "dry" Jan, but that's maybe going to be the worst prediction of 2024 already in the bag! 

Was a huge amount of fun!

• Like 16

11 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Well it was the start of "dry" Jan, but that's maybe going to be the worst prediction of 2024 already in the bag! 

If that was Saturday, my daughter was in there (I was a few doors up the road in a Turkish restaurant) .  She said it was rammed.  She enjoyed the gig.

• Like 3

On 08/01/2024 at 09:26, Al Krow said:

Man, that was great. I listened to it several times.

Daryl

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Long day yesterday. A corporate function (belated staff Christmas party) in Somerset. Big crowd, nice stage, we were well looked after all day.

Only problem was poor onstage sound and the organisers (who controlled the FOH level) while happy to have the DJ shaking the walls, had the band so quiet we could hear people chatting on the dance floor 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 4
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 5

Last night I began my 20 gig countdown to retiring from The ELO Experience with the annual

visit to our hometown gig - Hull New Theatre.

As usual it sold out so we had around 1300 people in. Slightly different this year as we had a flying

PA which involved a lot more time and manpower to set up. However the improvement was definitely

noticeable to the audience ( and me too, being non IEM’s!) so well worth the hassle and expense.

I dropped a couple of silly clangers but nothing drastic and the band as a whole played well considering

our last gig was mid November. Bit sad for me knowing it may be the last time I grace the stage there,

but still a great night for us. Caught up with a few old friends in the pub afterwards too so happy days.

IMG_3544.jpeg

7ace3a0b-2e59-40ea-bdd9-24d418b6f701.jpeg

IMG_0211.jpeg

5f1172bc-0612-47b6-92c9-21f55db4463f.jpeg

Edited by casapete
  • Like 28

20 minutes ago, casapete said:

Last night I began my 20 gig countdown to retiring from The ELO Experience with the annual

As usual it sold out so we had around 1300 people in. Slightly different this year as we had a flying

PA which involved a lot more time and manpower to set up. However the improvement was definitely

noticeable to the audience ( and me too, being non IEM’s!) so well worth the hassle and expense.

I dropped a couple of silly clangers but nothing drastic and the band as a whole played well considering

our last gig was mid November. Bit sad for me knowing it may be the last time I grace the stage there,

but still a great night for us. Caught up with a few old friends in the pub afterwards too so happy days.

IMG_3544.jpeg

IMG_0211.jpeg

It looks incredible.  I love theaters. 

Daryl

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, casapete said:

IMG_3544.jpeg

IMG_0211.jpeg

Trying to sort out seeing you at your last visit to Sheffield with a couple of your old acquaintances.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

It looks incredible.  I love theaters. 

Daryl

Thanks Daryl. It’s a great theatre but not particularly architecturally interesting like some others

we play at. Still a great gig though.

19 minutes ago, martthebass said:

Trying to sort out seeing you at your last visit to Sheffield with a couple of your old acquaintances.

Am intrigued Mart! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, casapete said:

IMG_3544.jpeg

IMG_0211.jpeg

5f1172bc-0612-47b6-92c9-21f55db4463f.jpeg

Why would you want to give that up Pete. ? Many would give an arm and a leg to be playing gigs like yours.

Guessing you've been doing it for a while and just time for a change.

Dave

• Like 1

Played one of my fav venues The Dreadnought in Bathgate with Emergency Exit punk covers band.

Kick off was 8:30pm and went to get changed 10 mins before. Was only a handful of punters in so we thought we were about to play to our mates and more of a paid rehearsal than a gig but we decided we would just go for it big time.

We started our first set and within 10mins the place was busy and everyone was up bopping away to our punk classics.

At the break the sound guy came into changing room and asked if we were happy with sound which is always perfect at this venue. We mentioned it being a lot busier than we expected based on how many were in when we started our first song. He then told us that all the other bands start at 9pm and do 2off 45min sets while we start at 8:30pm and play until 11:30 with a 15 min break in middle. People tend to arrive just before 9pm for the bands so they are all rushing about to the bar when they hear the band have started. They get their money's worth from us. A few other punters said the same thing 2.5 hrs of pure punk. You don't get that anywhere else. 

Few wee mistakes but nothing drastic. Not bad considering we've not played for 8 weeks. Turned out to be a great night and we made a tidy wee sum.

Booked again for later in the year too.

Manager told us that was a great turn out for a January gig as historically its dead in January after the Xmas and New Years gigs.

He was fair pleased with the turn out.

Happy Days. The punks are back in 2024. :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 17

Busy weekend with the Phil Collins tribute act NO JACKET REQUIRED. Fab gig Friday at Dorking halls where I used’the beast’, my faithful old wal and tonight’s ( ok last night 🤣) gig at the Hazlett theatre in Maidstone. Decided to use the ken smith for a change, such a comfortable bass to play and sounded great! Audiences at both shows were very receptive and really got into it!! All in all a very enjoyable couple of shows and a pleasure to play with such a nice bunch of people 😊.

IMG_7435.jpeg

• Like 15

7 hours ago, casapete said:

Thanks Daryl. It’s a great theatre but not particularly architecturally interesting like some others

we play at. Still a great gig though.

Pete,

Is that a GK rig? If yes, how long have you been using GK?

Daryl

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Why would you want to give that up Pete. ? Many would give an arm and a leg to be playing gigs like yours.

Guessing you've been doing it for a while and just time for a change.

Dave

It’s just the right time for me Dave. Get my pension next month and want to retire from touring 

and being away from home to spend more time with my partner and family, and going to see

more live music! 
First played with the band in 2009, then permanently since 2011 so been with them a good

while. They are a great bunch of people to work with, and will really miss them and the crew.
Before that I was in a function band for 16 years, again gigs all over the UK and some abroad,

so it’s been my professional life for around 30 years, as well as nearly 20 more before that

as a semi pro. Am blessed to have managed to make a living doing something I love for so long.

It’s obviously going to be a massive change for me, but plan on continuing with the acoustic duo which I 

really enjoy, along with any dep gigs that come along that I fancy doing. Can’t ever imagine not playing

at all! 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

Pete,

Is that a GK rig? If yes, how long have you been using GK?

Daryl

Hey Daryl - yes it is. I use a 1001RB amp into a Neo 4x10 cab. Been a GK user for approx 20 years now,

and never any problems with it at all. Had a few different models including a 700RB and also a 800RB

which I still have and is one of my favourite heads ever, second only to my old Ampeg SVT rig.

Are you still using GK stuff?

• Like 3