Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

5 minutes ago, 12stringbassist said:

gasp in awe at the hideous waste of money that was the new year firework display in London, a total slap in the face to the NHS)

Care to explain how the two are related? 

7 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

Care to explain how the two are related? 

Government spu*ks away a shedload of money when NHS or various other far more important things need money spending on them. The stupid irony is that the display in some way commemorated the 75th anniversary of the NHS. Previous displays have cost £2m and this was their biggest yet.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/new-years-eve-london-2024-b2471603.html

Edited by 12stringbassist
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Dave,

Last night I felt like we were playing in a restaurant kitchen.

Daryl

IMG_20231231_205413.jpg

FB_IMG_1704083420699.jpg

FB_IMG_1704078406659.jpg

I see what you mean Daryl.

Was it a good night  ?

Happy New Year to you Daryl, hope 2024 is a successful year for you guys.

Dave

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 12stringbassist said:

Government spu*ks away a shedload of money when NHS or various other far more important things need money spending on them. The stupid irony is that the display in some way commemorated the 75th anniversary of the NHS. Previous displays have cost £2m and this was their biggest yet.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/new-years-eve-london-2024-b2471603.html

Who paid for it though?

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

So glad it's not just me 🤣

Your comment and @Obrienp just reminded me from last night when singer announced a song by Roxy Music and for some odd reason i thought we were doing Lets Stick Together and started on the A after the drum count  and low and behold it was Virginia Plain as per our set list that i provide everyone. I quickly realised my mistook and went straight into Virginia Plain but i did get a fair bit of ribbing at the break as i gave the guitarist a ribbing few weeks back for starting it in wrong key :laugh1:

The joys of live music.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I’m probably being a bit thick, but what do the (X)’s indicate.

They were ones that we were going to cut if we were running out of time to get to midnight. As it turned out we had plenty of time so played everything.

ps you are not being thick as I also had to ask what they meant 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 12stringbassist said:

There are plenty of ways of helping the NHS budget before taking away from an event that brings joy to hundreds of thousands of people. Sorting out the PFI interest payments and stopping super rich tax avoidance are just two.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, markbunney said:

They were ones that we were going to cut if we were running out of time to get to midnight. As it turned out we had plenty of time so played everything.

Ah I see. I did think it odd all the X tunes were in the 2nd set. Makes sense now 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markbunney said:

That's quite a good idea to mark certain songs to be cut in the event of time restraint. Think i'll suggest that with our band rather than decide / debate on the night and everyone getting confused what to play next. :hi:

Dave

• Like 3

Great night in Bradford on Avon with the ska band. Half judgment half luck, we managed to time it just right with the last song of the set finishing a couple of minutes to midnight... countdown, skanky 'Auld Lang Syne' and then straight into a few more tunes. Crawled into bed at five to three. 

Too old for this sh*t I'm getting. 

PSX_20240101_182152.jpg

• Like 12
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Franticsmurf said:

Jazz improv, maaan. 😄

Less jazz improv in my world once I realized the name of the tune is usually in the chorus. So it goes like so:

Next tune is...

Blind panic. 1. Remember chorus. 2.3.

Remember going back into to verse. 4.

Go.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I see what you mean Daryl.

Was it a good night  ?

Happy New Year to you Daryl, hope 2024 is a successful year for you guys.

Dave

Great gig, even though we were almost in the kitchen. The place was packed and the dance floor was filled. Which is impressive considering we're not a dance band.

I was encouraged when I saw a punter drop a hundred dollar bill in our tip jar. Lol

We have a gig at Foundry 45 this Saturday.  Classy room , it's new with state of the art sound snd lighting. 

Have a great New Year Dave. I love your commentary. 

Daryl

FB_IMG_1704119868765.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 11

To Mere in Wiltshire for Mustang Sally's final gig of '23 - the rest of the band live very close to the town but I had a 50-mile journey through some very heavy rain and minor flooding; still, say what you like against 4x4s, but when it comes to this kind of journey the Jeep Cherokee just lapped it up! The George pub has three large-ish bars - we were set up in the front one with all tables taken and a lot of punters eager for the gig to start at 10pm. Due to lack of space in the band area and the low ceiling I decided to use the HB shorty rather than the Bongo but made a mistake in not putting a booster pedal in the chain thinking it wouldn't be needed - but it would definitely have been handy. Although the bass was going through my Ag700+Darkglass 212 rig as well as the PA, volume levels on the PA couldn't be maximised due to the room acoustics giving incipient mic, sax and acoustic guitar feedback, so I was left with the only option of cranking the amp up to 11 just to be heard... recordings I made revealed later that this was not excessive! Pix below show cramped 'stage' area.

We had a great time, with the place rammed until we finished at 00:50 - 20 minutes extra so the landlord paid us extra too after a very busy night for him, saying that last year there were only half a dozen punters at 11pm so he'd paid the band off and closed early (wrong band maybe?!) and watched Jools Holland instead!

Old Lang Syne was successfully tackled, our lady singer climbed on a table to deliver the last few numbers, the drunks managed not to collapse into the band gear, and we were able to introduce a couple of new numbers. 'Brown Sugar' may not be quite PC nowadays but the audience loved it; 'Hotel California' is an interesting thing to play on bass (I realise now why the Eagles dubbed the number 'Mexican Reggae') but it needs polishing before we resume gigging in March.

It was really nice that Mrs G agreed to come to the gig and enjoyed herself - she has developing Parkinson's and has lost so much confidence in communicating and being in new places with strangers over the last year, but all the folk at the gig were so friendly and inclusive - surely the best kind of therapy! It was another wet 50 mile drive home, arriving at 02:30, asleep by 03:15, feeling whacked out today! 

IMAG9664.jpg

IMAG9665.jpg

• Like 16

51 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I was encouraged when I saw a punter drop a hundred dollar bill in our tip jar. Lol

We got 10p in our tip jar last night 😂

we think the problem was that it was a very young audience (20s/early 30s) and everyone was paying at the bar using Apple Pay and no longer using cash 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

Great gig, even though we were almost in the kitchen. The place was packed and the dance floor was filled. Which is impressive considering we're not a dance band.

We have a gig at Foundry 45 this Saturday.  Classy room , it's new with state of the art sound snd lighting. 

Have a great New Year Dave. I love your commentary. 

Daryl

FB_IMG_1704119868765.jpg

$100 tip aint too shabby. Maybe we should start a tip jar for our bands. Not something i've ever seen over here in Scotland altho i know some bands do it.

Dave

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, markbunney said:

We got 10p in our tip jar last night 😂

we think the problem was that it was a very young audience (20s/early 30s) and everyone was paying at the bar using Apple Pay and no longer using cash 

I hope so. :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dmccombe7 said:

$100 tip aint too shabby. Maybe we should start a tip jar for our bands. Not something i've ever seen over here in Scotland altho i know some bands do it.

Dave

We started doing doing it as we played our first few gigs for free, just to get going.

so we took the tip jar (a £1 bucket from B&Q with a flyer stuck on it) to try and make a little bit of cash and have just taken it ever since.

The most we have got is £90 and the least was £0

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gasman said:

To Mere in Wiltshire for Mustang Sally's final gig of '23 - the rest of the band live very close to the town but I had a 50-mile journey through some very heavy rain and minor flooding; still, say what you like against 4x4s, but when it comes to this kind of journey the Jeep Cherokee just lapped it up! The George pub has three large-ish bars - we were set up in the front one with all tables taken and a lot of punters eager for the gig to start at 10pm. Due to lack of space in the band area and the low ceiling I decided to use the HB shorty rather than the Bongo but made a mistake in not putting a booster pedal in the chain thinking it wouldn't be needed - but it would definitely have been handy. Although the bass was going through my Ag700+Darkglass 212 rig as well as the PA, volume levels on the PA couldn't be maximised due to the room acoustics giving incipient mic, sax and acoustic guitar feedback, so I was left with the only option of cranking the amp up to 11 just to be heard... recordings I made revealed later that this was not excessive! Pix below show cramped 'stage' area.

We had a great time, with the place rammed until we finished at 00:50 - 20 minutes extra so the landlord paid us extra too after a very busy night for him, saying that last year there were only half a dozen punters at 11pm so he'd paid the band off and closed early (wrong band maybe?!) and watched Jools Holland instead!

Old Lang Syne was successfully tackled, our lady singer climbed on a table to deliver the last few numbers, the drunks managed not to collapse into the band gear, and we were able to introduce a couple of new numbers. 'Brown Sugar' may not be quite PC nowadays but the audience loved it; 'Hotel California' is an interesting thing to play on bass (I realise now why the Eagles dubbed the number 'Mexican Reggae') but it needs polishing before we resume gigging in March.

It was really nice that Mrs G agreed to come to the gig and enjoyed herself - she has developing Parkinson's and has lost so much confidence in communicating and being in new places with strangers over the last year, but all the folk at the gig were so friendly and inclusive - surely the best kind of therapy! It was another wet 50 mile drive home, arriving at 02:30, asleep by 03:15, feeling whacked out today! 

IMAG9664.jpg

IMAG9665.jpg

Sounds like it could be a good set list with Brown Sugar and Hotel Caledonia. Enjoy hearing a band cover an eagles song or two as they aren't that common these days.

Great  that your wife enjoyed herself too. Anything that can bring a little relief for a spell must be good for her.

All the best for 2024

Dave

Enjoyed reading your post. 

• Like 4