Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

The covers band, Night Shift, played one of our home venues, The Holly Bush at Marehay. It was a charity night to raise money for a community defibrillator. By donating our fee and running a raffle we raised just under £600. When added to the £700 raised by the cricket club across the road we’re nearly there. A good crowd, with deep pockets. We had some muso friends there so had a few guest vocal performances. I’m planning a quiet day today as we’ve got another one in Heanor tonight.

7536C497-EF68-46CB-A89D-29F4B0484D70.jpeg

• Like 18

5 minutes ago, Len_derby said:

The covers band, Night Shift, played one of our home venues, The Holly Bush at Marehay. It was a charity night to raise money for a community defibrillator. By donating our fee and running a raffle we raised just under £600. When added to the £700 raised by the cricket club across the road we’re nearly there. A good crowd, with deep pockets. We had some muso friends there so had a few guest vocal performances. I’m planning a quiet day today as we’ve got another one in Heanor tonight.

7536C497-EF68-46CB-A89D-29F4B0484D70.jpeg

Well done and a good cause to support.

What bass are you using here ? twin pick ups but only 2 pots. ?

Dave

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Well done and a good cause to support.

What bass are you using here ? twin pick ups but only 2 pots. ?

Dave

Hi Dave, it’s a Mexican Fender Mustang. The so-called PJ configuration. The pots are master volume and master tone. There’s a pick-up selector switch on the lower horn. The bridge pick-up is a bit weedy on its own so I choose either the front pick-up or both-on choices. A future project is to switch the selector switch to a blend pot. Nice bass, I use it a lot.

Edited by Len_derby
General idiocy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Len_derby said:

Hi Dave, it’s a Mexican Fender Mustang. The so-called PJ configuration. The pots are master volume and master tone. There’s a pick-up selector switch on the lower horn. The bridge pick-up is a bit weedy on its own so I choose either the front pick-up or both-on choices. A future project is to switch the selector switch to a blend pot. Nice bass, I use it a lot.

Cheers for that. I quite fancy a simple 3-way selector switch for twin pup basses. I have VVT and VBT basses but i always run pan in centre and my J basses have volumes at max. A switch would make it simpler for me.

Nice looking bass.

• Like 1

Doing another gig for Blue Angels tonight. 

Its the only gig where we've been offered a hand loading in and out by our audience. 

Plus they let you eat from their buffet and what a buffet they put on. 

First gig of 2023 so here's hoping no mistakes.

Dave

• Like 10

Ours went well. Our singist is recovering from flu and his voice isn't quite there yet so I got to sing Common People. I quite enjoyed it.

Playing was tight, no major clangers, and we got paid on our way out the door, so it went as smooth as they come.

facebook_1674392597503_7022911569279302728.jpg.373ad7d0d322d5a76fc30ad93228aec6.jpg

Singist, bassist, guitarist, guitarist, drumist.

Edited by Bassfinger
  • Like 9

went ok,

didn't play particularly well.

Had to go through PA, no backline as amp left at singers and I forgot!

Laney Digbeth preamp pedal to the rescue so no problem there.

New strings took a while to bed in and kept going out of tune for the first few numbers. Not good, note to self, never put brand new strings on before a gig! Not sure if I like them either, blue steels, very aggressive tone, probably need to adjust eq from the elixirs I'm used to.

Crowd really enjoyed it, dancing and cheering so thats all that really matters at the end of the day.

Landlord over the moon, cash on the nail etc..

back by 1am for cheese on toast and a glass of dry white vino, can't complain...

Edited by skidder652003
  • Like 9

Noisy good fun. Pub rock covers but a generally more modern take on it, none of the usual suspects until the last few songs. A lot of stuff people wouldn’t necessarily know beforehand.

One lovely little faux pas turned out quite well… We forgot to switch the main PA on for the second set, so the vocals were only coming out of the monitors. Happily they were so f-ing loud it actually worked fine, and balanced better because we weren’t overloading the PA with the guitars and drums as well. Actually sounded better apparently 🤣🤣

6FC5E5AA-D4AC-4E2C-870E-9B161F636F3A.thumb.jpeg.3f4b629d1766fa78b0beedfb40ef8ca9.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Last minute gig at a new venue for us last night ( The Cave in Paisley ). We had a booking for the same venue for next month and we hadn’t rehearsed this year. I know a few of you on here have played it, but what is that load in all about. 🙄 Loved the gig, crowd loved us and we already had another booking, but the load in and load out and wracked my already old and decrepit body. 🤣

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, EssexBuccaneer said:

I went out and saw the band I’m presently auditioning for last night in a local pub. Had a great night, and they were keen to chat with me in the break. Also introducing me to their little gaggle of friends and family…sounds positive, I think? :)

Many moons ago I was involved in recruitment and promotion boards and we were always impressed with the candidates who took the initiative and made the effort to visit and check out the job or promotion they were going for. Surprisingly few did. Good luck. 😃

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Angelus said:

Last minute gig at a new venue for us last night ( The Cave in Paisley ). We had a booking for the same venue for next month and we hadn’t rehearsed this year. I know a few of you on here have played it, but what is that load in all about. 🙄 Loved the gig, crowd loved us and we already had another booking, but the load in and load out and wracked my already old and decrepit body. 🤣

Did that gig many times over the years and was offered gigs by the venue including last night! But our drummer refuses point blank to do it due to the load in and parking situation. I don't find it too bad and have alaways found a parking space. The trick is to get a barrow or borrow the pubs barrow!.You are lucky you were the only band on last night usually there is two and the changeover can be a bit of a pain! That's why my last band only played on the Sunday night!

• Like 1

Blue Angels gig went well. They were celebrating Burns Night and we had to stop half way thru 1st set to allow the piper to bring in the Haggis.

Fair old size of haggis too, must have been a farm fed one :laugh1:

Also had an issue with lights cutting out in the venue which delayed our start quite a bit till they sorted it. 

Usual road closures on way home meant a 1 hr drive was 2 hrs using single track back roads to get round the closure.

Dave

• Like 6

Went to see my brother's band yesterday so played the role of clueless roadie.

Was a big night as his first full gig since having the trapezium bone taken out of his plucking hand. He was a bit nervous due to a bizzare accident the day before that had made his wrist very sore.

Place was rammed, crowd  loved it and he had a great time although at a few  points he was in a fair bit of discomfort.

I also got to drool over the bassist's CAR Bongo.

20230121_211908.thumb.jpg.5180bb753dc855227a9afec498e3e0bf.jpg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Angelus said:

We use the venues trolley or barrow from the back room. Park in the alley road at the Bungalow. Skoosh mate.

Great wee venue, i always enjoy playing in there but my gear is all lightweight except for the 2 pa cabs.

Larger drums and PA cab go on the trolley and depending how i feel i'll either use the trolley or just carry my Mesa cabs.

Sounds like it was a good night tho.

Dave

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Cheers for that. I quite fancy a simple 3-way selector switch for twin pup basses. I have VVT and VBT basses but i always run pan in centre and my J basses have volumes at max. A switch would make it simpler for me.

Nice looking bass.

I'm a big fan of the P/J configuration - I have 4 instruments that use that format. On three of them, I've modded them with a three way switch in place of one of the volume pots. For live work, I prefer the ease and speed of throwing a switch, rather than dialling in something on a rotary pot. You may lose a bit of tonal nuance, but this set-up works for me.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, rushbo said:

I'm a big fan of the P/J configuration - I have 4 instruments that use that format. On three of them, I've modded them with a three way switch in place of one of the volume pots. For live work, I prefer the ease and speed of throwing a switch, rather than dialling in something on a rotary pot. You may lose a bit of tonal nuance, but this set-up works for me.

My PJ Precision Lyte has one master vol along with a pan control.

Suits me as I find having to turn two volume pots down ( as per a Jazz bass)  to mute

the bass is a bit of a pain in live situations.

• Like 1

The drive was a bit hairy - having to wind the windows down to see at junctions etc - but the gig was great and surprisingly well attended given it's January and the weather was so poor.. Someone took this pic of me. I looked in my files and found one from 25 years ago for comparison purposes.  Other than a minor follicular pigmentational degradation issue nothing seems to have changed much !

326034555_690681346154680_5398102422096938140_n.jpg

53295578_10213754451959261_5781572656738336768_n.jpg

• Like 9

57 minutes ago, Dr.Dave said:

The drive was a bit hairy - having to wind the windows down to see at junctions etc - but the gig was great and surprisingly well attended given it's January and the weather was so poor.. Someone took this pic of me. I looked in my files and found one from 25 years ago for comparison purposes.  Other than a minor follicular pigmentational degradation issue nothing seems to have changed much !

326034555_690681346154680_5398102422096938140_n.jpg

53295578_10213754451959261_5781572656738336768_n.jpg

Is that the same bass too ? Nice one.

Dave

29 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Is that the same bass too ? Nice one.

Dave

Oh yes. 50 years old now. Different pick guards , bridge and knobs in the two pics but the same bass. Overall we're both showing similar signs of wear at the mo but I'm now 61 and , sadly , I expect I'll change in the coming years quicker than the bass ! 

Just looked again - you can't see the knobs anyway !

And it's the same low G I'm playing ! 

Edited by Dr.Dave
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dr.Dave said:

Oh yes. 50 years old now. Different pick guards , bridge and knobs in the two pics but the same bass. Overall we're both showing similar signs of wear at the mo but I'm now 61 and , sadly , I expect I'll change in the coming years quicker than the bass ! 

Just looked again - you can't see the knobs anyway !

And it's the same low G I'm playing ! 

Ach you're just a lad. 63 soon and still hammering out Glam rock and Punk songs in 2 different bands. As long as i'm enjoying it and healthy enough i'll keep going. Stay positive and enjoy.

Dave

• Like 4

Punk Birthday gig in Hemel last night. Suprisingly well attened considering the Acton lot also had a birthday Bash, The wingmen were in London and Dropkick Murphys were at Wembley. The guys running it are putting a huge eeffortto turn this pub into a venue. Stage sound was really hardwork, stage monitors were either feeding back humming or feeding back making it very hard tohear the other members, but we went down well with the crowd. Sound man is new and he is re-doing everything next week and it will be easier next time. Bands were fed with a mountain of pizza and loads of free drink. Never been  looked after so well. Looking forward to play there again in April when we'll be support XSLF

• Like 7