Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

2 hours ago, FinnDave said:

Well, I didn't have anything booked last night, but I do know how my gig tomorrow is going to be - completely silent, as it has just been cancelled. I was offered another gig for tomorrow earlier in the week and turned it down as I was already booked, but now have no gig and no money. Really need to get the 'promotors' to tighten up on this sort of behaviour, it seems to be happening more and more.

Agreed, Unacceptable behavior Dave.

Blue

This is our second outside gig of the season this Sunday.

THIS SUNDAY! Join Maple Road LIVE @ Bilda’s Friess Lake Pub for some outdoor Sunday Funday rockin’ blues! Great food and a fantastic beer selection are 2 more reasons to join the party. Bring a comfy chair, it’s going to fill up fast!

Bilda's Friess Lake Pub
4493 Hwy 167, Hubertus
3:00-7:00

IMG_20180526_112622511_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

Our first gig for nearly 6 weeks at Leicester De Montfort Hall last night. Audience of around 1000 all up for a good time, plenty of interaction and dancing. We had our flakey moments, including a keyboard crashing on the opening song, but end result was okay thank goodness. A great venue, with top crew and staff as well, certainly one of our favourite gigs. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Agreed, Unacceptable behavior Dave.

Blue

Seems it may have been a mistake on the part of the band leader, he called last night to tell me it was his fault. Human error I can understand, this doesn't seem to have been a cynical mis-use of bands after all. We'll get together for a jam somewhere tonight, no pay but at least we get play with our Australian friend again before his brief visit is over.

• Like 1

We'd got to the end of our set and were about to pack up, when this little girl singer came along and said I'll sing one with you...
It worked out quite well.

Video in next post, as it wouldn't display in this post for some really odd reason.

Edited by 12stringbassist

8 hours ago, FinnDave said:

Seems it may have been a mistake on the part of the band leader, he called last night to tell me it was his fault. Human error I can understand, this doesn't seem to have been a cynical mis-use of bands after all. We'll get together for a jam somewhere tonight, no pay but at least we get play with our Australian friend again before his brief visit is over.

Well, it seems the cok ups hadn't finished, we had arranged to go and jam at  pub and no, just a couple of hours before I set off, I get a call from the BL to say the first pub's just called to him to confirm we're still playing there! Had to make a few calls, get the troops back and ready to play a full gig. At least we'll be getting paid now! And we have our excellent Australian guitarist with us again.

40mins later...now turns out we haven't got a drummer as he had been stood down last night and has taken something else. Going to be an interesting evening!

And now we have tracked down a former drummer (probably hiding down the back of the sofa) so I won't be the only member of tonight's rhythm section! It's all go over here in Oxfordshire!!

Edited by FinnDave
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, 12stringbassist said:

We'd got to the end of our set and were about to pack up, when this little girl singer came along and said I'll sing one with you...
It worked out quite well.

Wish I'd known you were going to be at the Stock Dove - just up the road from me, I would have been there.

• Like 1

Well, the ill-fated gig I referred to above did take place, once we'd found the venue! Sat nav said I was there as I drove along a main road surrounded by fields, eventually found it by trial and error (rather a nice Oxford pub by the river) and a little later the guitarists (travelling separately) arrived. Surprised to find we were outside, squeezed into a small three-side structure, so I couldn't hear anything except drums and one guitar. Apparently sounded fine to the audience, as a couple of local musos we know were there to hear us. Not the best gig I've played, but not the worst either. At least we were spared a gigless weekend.

• Like 1

Just got in from a wedding gig, local-ish and quite well paid. Large marquee at the back of a Georgian town house in a big garden in the university area of Hull. Nightmare of a get in - either through the front way via garage / long windy garden path / into the bar area then right down the full length of the marquee to the stage, or - drive down some back street to some massive locked iron gates, through which there’s an narrow alley ( they call them tenfoots round here..!). After 50yds there’s a pair new large pine gates, leading into the rear garden and the back of the marquee. Because the tenfoot is so narrow you can’t swing the van into the garden, so we decide to lift the large gate ( maybe 12 foot long by 8 high) off it’s hinges to widen the angle. As we’re doing this, a guy who looks a lot like Lemmy emerges from the adjoining terraced house and starts to chat. Turns out the booker doesn’t have right of access to the garden despite the new pine gates, and no key to the iron gates at the end. Says he’ll be around later if we need him to let us out etc so we thank him and crack on. Get the van in and unload it. We do the gig, go down well with over 200 guests and the happy couple all enjoying it. Finish our second set, then strike the gear down and load it into the van. Yes , you’ve guessed it- the best man ,who was rather tired and emotional earlier on, is nowhere to be found and he has a key to the iron gates, so we get his mate to go and knock at Lemmys door to see if we can borrow his. Lemmy not in! Fortunately another resident, lovely Romanian guy called Mihail, sees our dilemma and helps us out using his keys, despite a slight language barrier. All this happened in virtual darkness with a steady rain shower drenching us as well!  So relieved we can escape after a long sweaty gig, thank god ones like these don’t happen too often.

Edited by casapete

2 hours ago, josie said:

Wish I'd known you were going to be at the Stock Dove - just up the road from me, I would have been there.

Our gig list is at www.thethree.org.uk - We are back there in November and at the Romiley Arms at some point, also the Remedy in Stockport and the Crown.

• Thanks 1

I’d say this weekend has been an emotional game of two halves.

Friday we played a pub called the Nelson near Twickenham. Despite a decent crowd the whole band were on a downer as a previous and much loved drummer had suddenly passed away earlier in the week. We played through the tears and raised a glass or two of Guinness to him outside at halftime sharing some of the many great memories we had! This one hurt a lot though, we’d only seen him last month at our guitarists big 50 birthday bash and jam session.He came up and finished the evening with us and seemed as fit as ever! 

So last night saw us at a new venue for us, Falkners Arms in Fleet. Some of the locals who see us when we’re over that way had recommended us which was a nice touch. Nice slightly raised stage area, good sound and a massively appreciative audience from song one! Big cheers at the end of every song and lots of enthusiastic dancing in the second half. This was the perfect tonic to the previous nights more sombre affair, best moment of the night was when having done a stonking version of Parisienne Walkways the landlord jumped up on the mic and told us it had been his wedding song many years ago and had never heard a band do it so well. He, like my guitarist and myself, is a massive Gary Moore fan so this was a lovely moment. We’re back there later in the year and we all agreed it was a fantastic venue and can’t wait. Good payer and we got a couple of beer tokens each as well, shame I was driving, the Doombar was an exceptional pint!! Few weeks off now, but this weekend will live on in memory for a while.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, 12stringbassist said:

Our gig list is at www.thethree.org.uk - We are back there in November and at the Romiley Arms at some point, also the Remedy in Stockport and the Crown.

That's one heck of a gig list! I've got the Remedy Bar date in my diary 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, barneyg42 said:

This was the perfect tonic to the previous nights more sombre affair, best moment of the night was when having done a stonking version of Parisienne Walkways the landlord jumped up on the mic and told us it had been his wedding song many years ago and had never heard a band do it so well. 

I spend most of my weeks trying to persuade the guitarist that we can't do Parisienne walkways - I think he thinks it is because I don't like the song, that isn't the reason.

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Haha 1

On 01/06/2018 at 18:24, Bluewine said:

This is our second outside gig of the season this Sunday.

THIS SUNDAY! Join Maple Road LIVE @ Bilda’s Friess Lake Pub for some outdoor Sunday Funday rockin’ blues! Great food and a fantastic beer selection are 2 more reasons to join the party. Bring a comfy chair, it’s going to fill up fast!

Bilda's Friess Lake Pub
4493 Hwy 167, Hubertus
3:00-7:00

IMG_20180526_112622511_HDR.jpg

Our gig yesterday turned out to be pretty good.

Bilda's Friess Lake Pub (not really a Pub)was a new venue for us.

We played outside, musically we were on. It was a nice gig because of the crowd, a lot of new faces and support. $150.00 in tips alone.

We needed a good gig under our belt.

Blue

IMG_20180603_143515052.jpg

• Like 1

My band played a charity gig on Saturday at a golf club. We started quite early, around 7.30pm as the teams playing golf had been on the go (drinking) since 9am. It was a good crowd and we were asked to do 3 encores...and despite it being a charity gig we were paid, and a bonus for doing more than one encore :D 

Edited by Marvin
  • Like 1

Just in from tonight’s gig, our first time at The White Horse in Banbury. Nice friendly staff and punters, but not really our kind of crowd, average age of the punters was probably 60-70 but that said they seemed to enjoy our alt rock covers and there were plenty of positive comments afterwards. 

I decided to give the newly fitted flatwounds on my Jazz a go, and took my spare roundwound wearing Jazz in case it didn’t work out. It didn’t, horrible boomy tone with no definition. I know flatwounds can work in a rock setting so I need to take some time to fine tune the eq. Anyway, a few songs in I switched over to my J&D and completed the gig with it.

And that’s it for pub gigs for us for the next few months as we head into Summer festival season,.

EAD3B67D-CB0A-4987-A195-82F4369C6D9F.jpeg

Edited by BrunoBass

Played at the local last night , they put us in a different part of the pub which was a better place for sound and bar access , but not so much for audience interaction as we were 3 steps lower than the bar area .

we played fine to a small turnout and got a rebooking 

5 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Played well - check

Sounded good - check

Got paid - check

Got rebooked - check

Gotta be happy with that 😀

Yep , I would have liked a few more from the village to have turned out , but that's how it goes I guess 🤔

Two gigs this weekend, Friday was a party for one of the Wirebirds (band I've played with for the last 5 years) which was good fun but obviously unpaid, ended up jamming with all sorts of people, some good, some less so, but all enjoyable.

Last night (Saturday) was with the Mighty Cadillacs in their home village of Eynsham, so a good crowd in, several people took guest spots, unfortunately that mean the rhythm section had to play all evening with no break.

Today I'm off to Leicester for a Grateful Dudes rehearsal, 180 mile round trip but I know they'll be some great music played, and we have summer gigs soon.

I'll stop off at a local blues jam if I get back to Oxfordshire in time this evening.

Got a chance to see chimike play at the Black Horse in Clymping, West Sussex on Friday with his band and they were fantastic! Think they're called 'The Nothing Yet Band'.

Their Set List included stuff by James Brown, Doobie Brothers, Clapton, Stevie Wonder, Righteous Brothers etc - songs you either wanted to dance to or sing along with - it was great.

Mike was totally in the groove from start to finish and played everything with real aplomb. Here's a very poor quality photo ...

IMG_20180608_224142.jpg