Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Two this weekend, 50th birthday at a Surrey golf club Friday night and a pub in Burgess Hill last night.

Because of the heat and football, we pushed back the start times both nights, which was a good plan - got more people inside when it cooled down a bit.

I traded my G&L 5 string for a Yamamha TRB a couple of weeks ago and this was the second weekend using it, it deffinetely needs a set-up and new set of strings, as I think the neck's been shimmed at some point and it has lighter strings than i'm used to; so I'm getting fret-buzz unless I really concentrate on playing with a light touch. 

Also, I need to change all my pedalboard cables as some of them have issues, and I had to loose my fuzz pedal last night.

Apart from that though, good gigs, particularly the party on Friday.

SUMMERFEST 2018

I felt a lot better about this year's show.

Respectful size crowd.

We played from 5:00-6:00. So, nice and easy to manage as oposed to our bread & butter 4 hour US bar shows.

Blue

FB_IMG_1531102831541.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1

Played a public gig this weekend, so a few prospective clients could come and watch us.
Cool venue in the center of Cardiff.
PA and sound engineer supplied, so that makes a nice change.
That, and being able to play in something other than a shirt and trousers!
gXEniTE.jpg

6 hours ago, Bluewine said:

SUMMERFEST 2018

I felt a lot better about this year's show.

Respectful size crowd.

We played from 5:00-6:00. So, nice and easy to manage as oposed to our bread & butter 4 hour US bar shows.

Blue

FB_IMG_1531102831541.jpg

You play in a band with Chuck Norris?

On 08/07/2018 at 05:22, Bluewine said:

3. Load in was fantastic. ( See pic )

"Yeah, the load-in is really good, you don't need to worry about that. You can park literally right next to the stage. Oh but there's a lion."

"Sorry, could you repeat that last bit? It sounded like you said something about a lion."

"Yeah, huh, kinda embarrassing. There's sort of a lion that will be protecting the stage. You'll need to take your stuff past it."

"That sounds sub-optimal."

"No, it's fine really. Most people get past without losing use of more than one limb, two max."

S.P.

• Haha 1

Played one of our longest anticipated gigs at the weekend. A classic motorcycle race meeting in Derbyshire. Had a marquee and huge stage laid on for us with, probably, a hundred or so punters watching us. All in a jolly state after a hard day's racing and given England's victory earlier that day! Sound check went well. Spent about 45 minutes getting all the levels set up. My new wireless transmitter/receiver was working well and had great hopes for the gig.

When we went on, though, just had one disaster after another. Singer wasn't getting any volume out of the stage monitors so she couldn't hear herself and the rest of the band just had to guess whereabouts she was in the opening song. Sorted that after a bit of fiddling. Then the lead guitarist started getting massive feedback during the next song. More fiddling. Then an amp change. Audience now getting a bit restless. Then, during the last song in the first set, my wireless receiver goes down. Just starts cutting in and out like the receiver is rebooting or something. I just plug straight in the amp head and go on, probably missing about 20 seconds of the middle of Rock and Roll.

On the plus side, the second set gets much better. Technical problems seem sorted. Some of our newer songs, like Jolene and Hard to Handle go down really well. Finished the set with a medley of the songs that we'd messed up earlier on. So, all in all, not a great gig. Not considering how long we'd planned and prepared. But we had a storming finish and I'd much prefer it that way round than the other.

7 hours ago, Stylon Pilson said:

"Yeah, the load-in is really good, you don't need to worry about that. You can park literally right next to the stage. Oh but there's a lion."

"Sorry, could you repeat that last bit? It sounded like you said something about a lion."

"Yeah, huh, kinda embarrassing. There's sort of a lion that will be protecting the stage. You'll need to take your stuff past it."

"That sounds sub-optimal."

"No, it's fine really. Most people get past without losing use of more than one limb, two max."

S.P.

You guys don't have stage lions in the UK?

Blue

• Haha 2

We played Scarisbrick Marina Festival, just outside Southport, Saturday and Sunday afternoons. Saturday clashed with the footy and predictably there were only a handful of people there, it felt a bit too quiet, and we drifted toward the end. Better on Sunday - we had a drummer this time, a dep who did pretty well, still only about 30 people but they were bouncing around in their seats and clapping to the faster songs, better atmosphere and we played better.

Afterwards an elderly lady came up to me with the sweetest smile, put her hand on my arm and said "Thank you - the bass drives the band, you know." Made my day 🙂

PMBB_IMG2.jpg

• Like 5

Found this today.

"Marie and I had a second fun-filled day at Summerfest yesterday which was also the last day of Summerfest 2018. Bands we saw included Paper Holland, Soccer Mommy, Aleem, and Bad Boy.  The day ended with Cheap Trick thunderously rocking the house filled with adoring fans.  Surprisingly, they were not, in my opinion, the best band we saw yesterday.  That was reserved for the local Maple Road Blues Band. https://www.facebook.com/Maple-Road-Blues-Band-181086306205/  We had never heard of them before, but went to see them because we had noticed that they hail from the same suburban/rural county north of Milwaukee where we live.  They played to a much smaller venue than Cheap Trick with hundreds instead of thousands in the crowd.  Yet their excellent musicianship and passion for their craft captivated the audience with both original music and standards.  I think Stevie Ray Vaughn was smiling down.  Sometimes the best is indeed right in your backyard."

Nice, I don't see very many of those. I'll take it.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Bluewine said:

Found this today.

"Marie and I had a second fun-filled day at Summerfest yesterday which was also the last day of Summerfest 2018. Bands we saw included Paper Holland, Soccer Mommy, Aleem, and Bad Boy.  The day ended with Cheap Trick thunderously rocking the house filled with adoring fans.  Surprisingly, they were not, in my opinion, the best band we saw yesterday.  That was reserved for the local Maple Road Blues Band. https://www.facebook.com/Maple-Road-Blues-Band-181086306205/  We had never heard of them before, but went to see them because we had noticed that they hail from the same suburban/rural county north of Milwaukee where we live.  They played to a much smaller venue than Cheap Trick with hundreds instead of thousands in the crowd.  Yet their excellent musicianship and passion for their craft captivated the audience with both original music and standards.  I think Stevie Ray Vaughn was smiling down.  Sometimes the best is indeed right in your backyard."

Nice, I don't see very many of those. I'll take it.

Blue

Blue

Cool - great bit of feedback from a punter! 

4 hours ago, leschirons said:

Great gig tonight albeit a little weird. We've just played at the world sheep shearing championships😶

Did your set include I Just Called to say I Love Ewe? Or maybe Shear Heart Attack? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My gig last night was notable for being the second in a row where our keys player spilt a pint of orange juice and lemonade all over my stage box, four XLR cables and two mains power leads.

On the plus side:

(1) Nobody got electrocuted

(2) It wasn't my mains extension lead this time

(3) He didn't "help" by collecting up my cables at the end of the night.  Unlike the last gig...

IMG_0515.thumb.jpg.b0935dfd3b761e657e8a47f5a7557f57.jpg

Is it just me (and my mild OCD) that likes things coiled up neatly so you don't have to spend fifteen minutes undoing the knots at the next gig?  

Other than that, and it being hotter than hell, we had a blast!