Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Thursday & Sunday, Larmertree Festival.

Great vibe as ever, all nice & relaxed. We played our set to a good number of enthusiastic people in great weather at the start of the festival. Everyone, for once, was happy with their sound and performance at the same time. Unexpectedly whisked away immediately after by 'artist liaison' (?) to a CD signing: felt a berk.

Our Sunday set was in the Acoustic Roots Cafe to a bunch of lazing revellers, lovely aromas in the air, as it were :) All a bit rushed beforehand, but a nice version of Wes Montgomery's 'Four on six' seemed to fit the vibe nicely, among other stuff suited to the laid back atmos.

Home now with the post-festival blues.

BTW Saw a great band from Bristol called Bizali: superb bass & drums with acoustic guitar/loops and stuff. Worth a look... Also, the Park Bench Social Club were triffic.

What's the new cab your using Al ?

P

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='244328' date='Jul 21 2008, 11:14 AM']It sounds fine at bedroom volume but I won't get chance to put some serious welly through it until Saturday. The other lads think it was a monitor issue - I hope so.[/quote]

had gig at regular local venue on Saturday - normal good crowd etc but personally i made a couple of (admittedly minor)mistakes which i'm now beating myself up over as normally i am 99.99999% on the ball - grrrrrr! - To be honest though i reckon its because i unexpectedly got made redundant the day before so probably just minor concentration lapse due to having that on my mind!!! bah.

peace

c

Sunday night...Morgans, Llanharan. Not a bad turn out for the dying Sunday afternoon gig BUT we sounded awful, I've been trying to get into my new HA3500 on the last few gigs but because we've been utter sh*te of late I haven't had the chance to appreciate what it's capable of....time to jump ship I reckon :)

So, I got my first gig with my new cover-band, in capital's local pub.

Sound-engineer was quite friendly guy, who knew his work, so we done our soundcheck fast enough, and then went for a pint of beer.

Done two sets, songs by AC/DC, Bon Jovi, Whitesnake, Faith No More, to name a few..

The first was a bit sh1tty for me in few songs, but the other was quite good.

Bandmates weren't very satisfied of our all playing generally, but, sound-guy, and our friends said it was awesome, so, we hope, we'll get daily playing opportunity there in time...

I was back home only about 05:30, so, I'm quite dead now, and sad of my mistakes, but, hey, that's my first gig with 'em..

A folk club in a theatre somewhere on the South Coast. Everyone happy with their playing again in spite of a couple of dodgy PA moments (out of our hands).

All OK, if a little uninspiring. Best pint on offer is Boddingtons (pah!) Guitarist's mother performing in Guys & Dolls at the same venue by chance, so they both went out for a post-gig bevvy afterwards, cool.

First whole gig on teh Stag EUB. It's a kind of semi-dep with an acoustic-ish barn dance band I've been playing with for about 4 years. a few gigs a year.
This was a wedding in Bristol in a lovely venue. The very nice weather meant the grown-up punters stayed out in the ornamental gardens though and it was hard work getting them in to dance, still, not actually my problem and teh caller did a great job of including teh kids and whoever else was willing to dance...

The Stagg was great to play and from what I could hear sounded great. Big thuddy root-5th sound with some big whaaaaaah and twaaaaanggggg which is what this band needs.
Amped through a DI box into my powered monitor then daisy chained out to the PA .. that worked well and I could hear it.

Some intonation/finger position problems when my arm slid down the neck a little but, fortunately, I could hear it enough to correct myself.
This band record every gig so no doubt I'll be getting a copy to see if it was actually as OK as I thought it was ....

The new callouses on my plucking fingers stood up to it but my shoulders are aching today and at one point a guy with a big camera was lying at my feet taking pictures up the bass, as it were. Glad I didn't have a kilt on .... I tried to stab him with the spike but he moved .. I guess I may get copies of the pictures :)

Oh and the band thought the stick upright looked just right for their band ... All the encouragement I need :huh:

Edited by OldGit

An awful night for us - we played at the 55th club in Preston. Full of Bingo lovin' coffin dodgers and petty officious commitee members - where do these people come from?

We shared the stage with an organist and a drummer who started playing the song we just finished the set with as soon as the last chord was struck. How cheesy can you get?

Had to tweak Sex Machine in favour of Kidney Dialysis Machine to suit the audience. :)

Today should be better - a nice relaxing saunter at our 'home' pub with the locals - looking forward to playing to an audience where the women don't have their jubblies hanging 'round their waist.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='248755' date='Jul 27 2008, 08:36 AM']An awful night for us - we played at the 55th club in Preston. Full of Bingo lovin' coffin dodgers and petty officious commitee members - where do these people come from?

Had to tweak Sex Machine in favour of Kidney Dialysis Machine to suit the audience. :)[/quote]

Please tell me you took the chance to busk 'knocking on heaven's door' :huh:

I thought that type of club gig was finally dwindling but I've had a couple of reminders myself in recent years that it's still around.
Today's sounds much better and at least you can have a few laughs about yesterday.

Played my first jazz gig for over a year, was fun as some of the tunes I swear I've NEVER played.

We weren't the tightest band on some of the endings, some of my improv was crap but generally I think I pulled it off OK. Bit off-putting having a saxophonist in the band who is a far better bassist than me, having a singer who was the former bassist and having at least one bassist watching in the audience. In my "normal" gigs no problem, but jazz really isn't my forte IMO :huh:

Pic:

[attachment=11295:woking_gig.jpg]

This was also the first gig I've done with the 4x8 combo - it's only ever had rehearsal use up to now. It sounded AWESOME :)

Hmmmm. Friday. Well I suppose if 50% of the band is going to have an off night & that 50% is the rhythm section then to do it in a tiny pub where it was so damn hot all bar six of the punters were outside desperatly searching for a little cool air is probably the best place to do it :)

I played like a complete RS for most of the night missing parts, picking the wrong string, and on a night when we were a 3 piece + vocals so nowhere to hide.

Came away feeling completely demoralised and have a bit of a break now til the next load due to other band members holidays.

This afternoon was The Jumpin' Hot Stage, The Americana Weekender, at the Sage Gateshead.

The festival is two days of music from the most happening bands in American roots music... and us. The stage is in a spectacular location.

The band before us - The Cherryholmes - are a family band from Nashville and they were mindblowing. Just remarkable. We had to work hard to follow them, but we managed!

No soundcheck.. just a linecheck and GO! However, the PA was provided by the North-Easts' finest, Nitelites, and the engineers is one of the best in the biz and a good friend of ours, so it was effortless.

I was going to use my lovely new rig, but The Sage have just invested in an SVT-PRO II and an Ampeg 410 so I thought I'd give it a run out. Nice, but... I'm not keen on those sealed 410s. They sound too boxy. Mind you, I didn't have much opportunity to tweak. It didn't matter, though.. they gig was fab, and we went down well.

I stayed afterwards with Mrs. WoT and the bairn to eat ice-cream and get burned to a crisp. I'm going to regret this tomorrow...

Next stop... Leicester, next weekend.

Luton Aid - Saturday 26th July.

All day charity event at the University SU. We were the first band on at 2pm so I was expecting to be playing to the bar staff and the next band, but we actually had a fair sized audience.
Only 30 mins, but it went so fast. One major mistake by the drummer - which we managed to cover and plough on, and one song played mainly as an instrumental as the vocalist couldn't hear anything and didn't know where he was, otherwise good gig and we went down quite well.
I went through a mates Marshall stack. Sounded pants on stage, but FOH sounded great. Spent the rest of the day watching the rest of the bands and drinking student priced beer :)

Sunday afternoon gig at our local - boy it was hot. Went down well - nice relaxed atmosphere but I got carried away with the suds - a big mistake when you're playing with an extra string. Carried on when I got home and today, I feel like someone's stuck their arm down me throat and pulled me inside out :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='249187' date='Jul 27 2008, 10:19 PM']This afternoon was The Jumpin' Hot Stage, The Americana Weekender, at the Sage Gateshead.

The festival is two days of music from the most happening bands in American roots music... and us. The stage is in a spectacular location.

The band before us - The Cherryholmes - are a family band from Nashville and they were mindblowing. Just remarkable. We had to work hard to follow them, but we managed!

No soundcheck.. just a linecheck and GO! However, the PA was provided by the North-Easts' finest, Nitelites, and the engineers is one of the best in the biz and a good friend of ours, so it was effortless.

I was going to use my lovely new rig, but The Sage have just invested in an SVT-PRO II and an Ampeg 410 so I thought I'd give it a run out. Nice, but... I'm not keen on those sealed 410s. They sound too boxy. Mind you, I didn't have much opportunity to tweak. It didn't matter, though.. they gig was fab, and we went down well.

I stayed afterwards with Mrs. WoT and the bairn to eat ice-cream and get burned to a crisp. I'm going to regret this tomorrow...

Next stop... Leicester, next weekend.

[/quote]

We noted you were playing that day when we went to the Sage to see Brandi Carlile the night before. Unfortunately spent all day waiting for timewasters to come and view my bike (i.e. they didn't turn up) so we didn't make it. If I hadn't seen the stage the night before I'd have thought it was some weird TV screen back drop :huh:

On a more serious note... I bet you kept the bairn out of the sun and covered her in sunblock but did the grown-ups? Did they fook :)

I had a gig last weekend in aid of Cancer Research UK at this out-of-the-way, country restaurant. We had between 10:30pm-1am to rock the joint, which was great fun as everyone was on form and the sound was good in the dance floor area. The sh*t part was that, naturally, only about 40 people showed up (mostly our friends and regular hillbilly punters), not including 2 bouncers - who were there to prevent under-agers from acquiring booze - who each received roughly 80 pounds for their several hours of standing around, doing f***-all. Considering the event only raised about 200 pounds, from which the bouncers were paid, we were a bit pissed off.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='249404' date='Jul 28 2008, 09:58 AM']We noted you were playing that day when we went to the Sage to see Brandi Carlile the night before. Unfortunately spent all day waiting for timewasters to come and view my bike (i.e. they didn't turn up) so we didn't make it. If I hadn't seen the stage the night before I'd have thought it was some weird TV screen back drop :huh:

On a more serious note... I bet you kept the bairn out of the sun and covered her in sunblock but did the grown-ups? Did they fook :)[/quote]

AH.. that's a shame (bike timewasters, too). How was Brandi?

I'm not to burned up today, actually. A lucky escape, I think!

Did a function in a tin shed and it was HOOOOOOOT! I have never felt so ill - blinding headache, nausea but I still played the gig. When it ended, I collapsed with heat exhaustion. Never felt so ill in my life. Went to bed feeling like s**t, woke up fine. Hardest gig I have ever done.