Why become a member? ×

DIY Effects

JackLondon

13 hours ago, tauzero said:

I've just managed to solder up a 30cm jack to jack lead and finish up with there being a resistance of 7k between tip and sleeve, so you need to revise your estimate of my soldering ability downwards.

You have not removed enough of the carbon shield I suspect. Modern instrument cables have two screens, a copper one and a conductive PVC. it is the conduct of PVC that stops crackles win. Cables are moved around.

Conductive, PVC is almost always black as it consists mainly of carbon, and it needs to be stripped away from the cable that goes to the tip of the Jack Bug. The inner cable usually screened with either white or a transparent insulator.  you need some clear or white insulate are showing beyond the Black screen. If not you will get a signal but it will be low or muffled. See picture below.

I have repaired a number of cables made by BBC members where this mistake has been made. 
IMG_0129.thumb.jpeg.cf3e3bffd14f2e64c8f07e32a6827fdd.jpeg

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

You have not removed enough of the carbon shield I suspect. Modern instrument cables have two screens, a copper one and a conductive PVC. it is the conduct of PVC that stops crackles win. Cables are moved around.

Conductive, PVC is almost always black as it consists mainly of carbon, and it needs to be stripped away from the cable that goes to the tip of the Jack Bug. The inner cable usually screened with either white or a transparent insulator.  you need some clear or white insulate are showing beyond the Black screen. If not you will get a signal but it will be low or muffled. See picture below.

I have repaired a number of cables made by BBC members where this mistake has been made. 
IMG_0129.thumb.jpeg.cf3e3bffd14f2e64c8f07e32a6827fdd.jpeg

That's probably it, it's awaiting my tender ministrations at the moment.

On 29/07/2023 at 16:17, Chienmortbb said:

All part of the service😇

Sorted it, thanks. Now I've got to work out why the couple of leads I made with this cable two or three years ago work - either I got lucky or I read the instructions and completely forgot about them in the intervening years.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

anyone done musikding since Brexit and been charged VAT on delivery or anything like that? 
Or are they big enough to sort it out their side? 

Not had any issues, even on fairly sizeable orders. They're another one that I think might just be winging it and hoping to get away with it, but no charges on deliveries yet.

33 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

No issues with Musikding. Think almost all my orders have been post Brexit!

Yebbut Norn Iron is still in the EU, at least for trading purposes.

I've just had the one Musikding order which was post-Brexit and painless. As it was less than £135, presumably Musikding arranged the VAT. I assume that with goods worth more than £135 from a big seller like Thomann, they'd charge the VAT and pre-pay it to the delivery company.

8 hours ago, tauzero said:

Yebbut Norn Iron is still in the EU, at least for trading purposes.

I've just had the one Musikding order which was post-Brexit and painless. As it was less than £135, presumably Musikding arranged the VAT. I assume that with goods worth more than £135 from a big seller like Thomann, they'd charge the VAT and pre-pay it to the delivery company.

Information on the subject has been so convoluted that I didn't even know that! 😄

3 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

Thomann are UK VAT registered. They pay vat directly to HMRC. 

Which is irrelevant to @Bigwan as he's in NI, which is the EU for VAT purposes. The wonders of Brexit. I think we should change the flag of the UK from the union jack to the flag of the Duchy of Grand Fenwick.

3 hours ago, bloke_zero said:

?!?!?!? Banjo you play with a slide with the fingerboard facing up?

You can play it that way, "underhand" with a slide,  with banjo picks, a flat pick, or plain old fingerpicking:

Dojo1.thumb.jpg.0ab70519d98b9bee1400b41cf4e8cfcc.jpg

There's a piezo pickup on the resonator, broken out to a stereo jack with the humbucker on the other hot contact. Has a bit of a 12 string guitar vibe when playing chords,  and can be surprisingly mellow and quiet when that's the player's intention. I play a weekly house jam that has way too many bass players, and many tunes I've been playing for decades, so this has been a great diversion so far.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Loving the semi-parametric designs. I'll never understand why they're not more common on amplifiers; I used to play SWR amps and they were SO flexible. Ampeg preamps come close with the mid frequency selector (which I use now), but mostly its just a toggle between two preset frequencies.