Why become a member? ×

DIY Effects

JackLondon

50 minutes ago, Smanth said:

Luke, where did you get his done?

S'manth x

Elecrow - 6 of these for about £3-4 

if I did it again I would build the pots onto the board and possibly find a manufacturer who would do the holes a wee bit bigger - they aren’t designed for my mistakes! 

image.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

Elecrow - 6 of these for about £3-4 

if I did it again I would build the pots onto the board and possibly find a manufacturer who would do the holes a wee bit bigger - they aren’t designed for my mistakes! 

image.jpg

Nice. wrt the hole size - these are specified in your Gerber/NC files (or other file format if used) so it's not a matter of manufacturer limits (or am I missing something) ?

It can sometimes help to clarify that you are specifying post plating size rather than drill size.

4 hours ago, Rich said:

I've just upvoted it :D Why did it take me so long to join that forum?

I started hanging on there recently myself. I love effects but not the pedal format so much, however it's a great crew and I'm actually learning some new things, so all good.

Edited by Passinwind

7 minutes ago, rmorris said:

Nice. wrt the hole size - these are specified in your Gerber/NC files (or other file format if used) so it's not a matter of manufacturer limits (or am I missing something) ?

It can sometimes help to clarify that you are specifying post plating size rather than drill size.

There you go then - the ones on the big cap are bigger. 
Not the manufacturer - 100% my design! 
Plus the missed trace, plus that whole bit of the circuit I got wrong

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

There you go then - the ones on the big cap are bigger. 
Not the manufacturer - 100% my design! 
Plus the missed trace, plus that whole bit of the circuit I got wrong

It's a good idea to look at the drill tolerance specs from your fabricator, JLCPCB call +0.13m/-0.08mm for instance. Doing my own footprints for just about every component can be a definite time suck, but it's worth it!

13 minutes ago, Passinwind said:

It's a good idea to look at the drill tolerance specs from your fabricator, JLCPCB call +0.13m/-0.08mm for instance. Doing my own footprints for just about every component can be a definite time suck, but it's worth it!

Worth remembering that pcb fabs will round drill sizes to reduce excessive number of drill bits used (or for bit availability).

Especially where there is a metric / imperial mix. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Passinwind said:

I think in KiCad I can update them all at once I think? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, 6v6 said:

> v2 of the WTHPF pedal, a bit more aggressively voiced than the first one and using some new-to-me opamps:

Looks great @Passinwind - how did you do the graphics on the enclosure?

That's a UV print job from Amplifyfun in Portland Oregon. They are very quick and very inexpensive if you live in the US, and all they need is a basic PDF done on templates they send you in various formats. He offers laser etching and CNC machining as well. That print job cost me $6US plus shipping and the whole process took less than a week from inception to my mailbox. Another Portland vendor drop ships powder coated enclosure to AF, gets there next day. AF typically takes a couple of days and once they ship it gets here next day. I may be a bit spoiled! 😎

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tauzero said:

I'm a bit concerned by that gunge on the screwdriver. Have you tested for Covid?

You don’t get splatters of cement when you are making pedals? Everyone knows added weight gives more low end response right??

all about the tone

On 22/10/2022 at 13:35, tauzero said:

I'm a bit concerned by that gunge on the screwdriver. Have you tested for Covid?

A set of screwdrivers with at leat 30 bits (IMNHO) are essential to build anything worthy!

S'manth xx (An ITU nurse of 5 y and a geek of 35y!)

For preparing the enclosure for my latest build, I finally bit the bullet and invested in my first step drill bit, and have used it for the majority of the holes. So much better than plain HSS bits, especially for the bigger holes. Highly recommended if you don't already have one. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

Anyone bought anything from pedalpcb - have you got stung with import fees? 

Yes, serveral times. No, no import fees. I think because they come in letter size pacakage it hasn't been an issue.

I just built the simulcast (pedalpcb hudson broadcast clone) for a friend:

simulcast1.thumb.jpeg.2ad5f2574385709a3bd0ad39f325a15f.jpegsimulcast_inside.jpg.dffa928e01bf9c01f7d13576ae0dbd57.jpg

Has a Mullard OC71 from the early 70's - sounds really good! The drilling guide was too tight on the footswitch - didn't leave enough room (hence the plastic washer).

My first attempt at waterslide decal!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

Anyone bought anything from pedalpcb - have you got stung with import fees? 

Not an issue for me obviously, but there's a very good chance they'll be offering their own version of my latest design on their website sooner than later.

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

Looks great! I must give waterslides a try at some point.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a 'bleen'..? :D 

It's the inexplicable name of preset 15 on a Lexicon Vortex circa 1996:

y6wr5hue2udsmhxt4jre.jpg

In this case it's actually 'Select low or high gain mode'.

• Haha 1