Why become a member? ×

Too much downtuned thump

Jamesemt

For 3 songs with the band I have to go to DGCF for the singer's range.

Problem is I'm using a passive jazz and just get way too much thump. Apart from altering the eq mid set (which I don't want to do) is there anything else I can do? Maybe try different strings? It's got light Roto Nickels on presently...

Presumably you're swapping basses mid-set and not just retuning? If so you should expect to have to tweak your volume or eq if you don't want to fiddle with the amp you could try an eq pedal perhaps?

Also if your jazz is too thumpy, how do you have the controls set? Can you just back off the neck pickup a tad or even lower the pickup slightly?

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='754710' date='Feb 23 2010, 09:13 AM']Presumably you're swapping basses mid-set and not just retuning? If so you should expect to have to tweak your volume or eq if you don't want to fiddle with the amp you could try an eq pedal perhaps?

Also if your jazz is too thumpy, how do you have the controls set? Can you just back off the neck pickup a tad or even lower the pickup slightly?[/quote]

yeah using a different bass. If I roll off the neck and onto the bridge pickup I get too much fret clank due to running less string tension. Never thought about lowering the pickup...might give that a try

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='754651' date='Feb 23 2010, 07:44 AM']Are low riders more zingy? I presumed they'd be more thumpy and ermm low[/quote]

the Lo refers to the high tension design allowing you to achieve very low action without fret buzz. I finf the nice and punchy without too much brightness,edgier that roto nickles though

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='754718' date='Feb 23 2010, 09:20 AM']yeah using a different bass. If I roll off the neck and onto the bridge pickup I get too much fret clank due to running less string tension. Never thought about lowering the pickup...might give that a try[/quote]

Reducing the volume of the neck pickup and lowering the neck pickup into the body would have roughly the same effect. If you're getting more clank because the bridge pickup has more treble, then try turning down the tone control.

If your string tension is too low then get a higher string guage. The DR Lo-Riders are quite tight string, you can try them in the 45-105 guage, or get something even beefier. If you don't use the G too often you could even string BEAD!

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='754988' date='Feb 23 2010, 01:31 PM']I can't get on with the neck size on a 5...dropping the e would be the answer but then I would have to relearn 27 songs...[/quote]

Half our set was in standard tuning and half in Drop D. Retuning bottom string from E to D takes around 5 seconds. Try using a pick on the drop D numbers - that'll give you less thump.

If you have only 3 songs in drop D, I can't see why you would need to relearn all the other songs, or take 3 basses to gigs.

I used to use drop D for 2 songs out of 20. I just took 2 basses to gigs, tuned one drop D, used the other for the rest of the set. If there had been a problem with the main bass, which there never was, it would have taken 30 secs at most to retune the dropped one.

Incidentally, string spacing and neck width on 5-strings can vary quite a lot, depending on the model, so it might be worth looking again.

Although it sounds like a hassle re-learning the songs in drop D, it's the best solution to the problem.
You'll probably get a new take on some of the tunes, and once you've done it you'll be much more familiar with that tuning and feeling good.

I'm slightly confused.......

If you only have three songs that involve the bass being tuned down a tone on all
strings,surely you would only have to relearn those three songs and not the whole set?

It's also another good argument for not just learning the songs by patterns-if you know
the notes that you are playing,it won't take much to relearn them.

[quote name='Doddy' post='757277' date='Feb 25 2010, 04:47 PM']If you only have three songs that involve the bass being tuned down a tone on all
strings,surely you would only have to relearn those three songs and not the whole set?[/quote]

Yup - and if you get a Hipshot D-tuner, you don't have to worry about re-tuning between songs etc. A flip of the switch will move you from EADG to DADG, even during a song if you're quick enough.

Jennifer

And I know its been said a few times but I really want to reiterate:

Just because you've learnt it in DGCF, doesn't mean it can't be played in DADG. It just means you might need to re-shape some of it and play a couple of stretches/slides.

I know what I'd do, but if DGCF and new strings work for you then go for it!

Dan

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='754988' date='Feb 23 2010, 01:31 PM']I can't get on with the neck size on a 5...dropping the e would be the answer but then I would have to relearn 27 songs...[/quote]

Get a Spector or a Warwick Rockbass, two of the most comfortale necks on a 5 string bass if you're used to 4 strings.