Why become a member? ×

1963 Precision on t'bay. Genuine ?

Gray

Spotted this a few days ago sitting at £600, and then the listing disappeared and has reappeared today with a more ''realistic'' :) price

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1963-fender-precision-bass-guitar_W0QQitemZ270535788955QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item3efd30899b#ht_500wt_945"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1963-fender-precisio...9b#ht_500wt_945[/url]

What do we reckon ? Genuine ?

Edited by Gray

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='754443' date='Feb 22 2010, 09:54 PM']He's got Zero feedback and he's trying to sell a £3000 bass with three poor photographs of the bass, sitting on a mattress on the floor of an untidy room.

Hmmm.

What could possibly go wrong?

:rolleyes:[/quote]

PMSL :)

A friend of mine who has a shop selling old things, bought a 3 grand 1962 P bass off a woman who found it in the loft after her hubby died. The description was a little too detailed for an old woman..

Showed me it and asked what I thought, my first question was 'how did you pay for it?'

It was as original as a not very original thing, looked like a roughed up mex to me.
Why do people hand over silly money to someone they've never met on an auction site? :)

If you are seriously looking at this, go around, strip it, take pictures of the key parts and get them to Howard. (The Bass Doc)
Everything can be faked but Howard will know...

Incidentally the seller has not replied to my request for a serial number and more pictures.......

Edited by OldGit

My gut feeling is it's genuine. Having listed it once in an open-ended way, some one has pointed out that the seller is sitting on more of a goldmine, hence the intro price of £3000. This may well have been after someone paid a visit to check the authenticity.

I could be wrong of course and only more detailed photographs would confirm but my money is on it being a very well preserved example of a real '63.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='754849' date='Feb 23 2010, 11:43 AM']I could be wrong of course and only more detailed photographs would confirm but my money is on it being a very well preserved example of a real '63.[/quote]
Is it just me who dings the headstock way, way more often than the body? That headstock looks [i]pristine[/i] -- pretty much identical to my 2009 Precision, apart from the fact I've already put a couple of doinks in the end. Might it not be a new neck on an old body?

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='754857' date='Feb 23 2010, 11:49 AM']Is it just me who dings the headstock way, way more often than the body? That headstock looks [i]pristine[/i] -- pretty much identical to my 2009 Precision, apart from the fact I've already put a couple of doinks in the end. Might it not be a new neck on an old body?[/quote]

Undinged headstock is usually a sign that the bass player has played with an excellent drummer - my '63 headstock is full of marks from the skull of bad time-keeping drummers who needed the odd reminder of the tempo.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='754930' date='Feb 23 2010, 12:59 PM']Undinged headstock is usually a sign that the bass player has played with an excellent drummer - my '63 headstock is full of marks from the skull of bad time-keeping drummers who needed the odd reminder of the tempo.[/quote]
If your '63 is the "light relic" that looks like it lost a fight with an angle-grinder, the headstock's the least of your worries. :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='755091' date='Feb 23 2010, 03:26 PM']I've asked for detailed pictures of the normal stuff.[/quote]

Looking forward to that - my reputation is in jeopardy here! We need a picture of the neck-plate in particular - L 1963 makes no sense but I still think it's somebody a bit 'green' rather than a scammer.

Watch this space...................................................not that one, this one..............................................................................................

I have to say the patina on the fingerboard (and the colour of the dots), body, scratchplate etc. all look very period correct; even the rust on the pup slugs BUT in comparison that headstock and rear of the neck look 'quite' new and shiny! :rolleyes:

My main concern is the number of people involved in taking the last photograph... I spot feet belonging to at least 3 people! :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='755330' date='Feb 23 2010, 07:08 PM']I have to say the patina on the fingerboard (and the colour of the dots), body, scratchplate etc. all look very period correct; even the rust on the pup slugs BUT in comparison that headstock and rear of the neck look 'quite' new and shiny! :rolleyes:

My main concern is the number of people involved in taking the last photograph... I spot feet belonging to at least 3 people! :)[/quote]

I have seen necks that clean before - it's the fingerboard pics that convince me it's genuine.

The foot at the top right (CAR painted toe nails) is claimed to be Carol Kaye and she may be suing for unauthorised publication of said tootsies.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='755347' date='Feb 23 2010, 07:26 PM']I have seen necks that clean before - it's the fingerboard pics that convince me it's genuine.[/quote]

I agree that it's sooooo hard to 'relic' that look on a fingerboard (I've never ever seen a good copy) and the inlay dots just appear so right with that aged (almost sunken/shrunk) look to the rosewood and I have to confess I'd defer to you with regard to the condition of the neck. I know that the maple neck on my oldest Warwick (the one I got via you Howie) got sealed by DW and it looked as new and shiny when I sold it 15 years (and thousands of hours use) later... I still managed to ding the headstock now and again though! :)

Mmm if you were selling something this expensive it would make sense to have a proper valuation. If u r sure it's real then it's got to be worth the effort. It sounds like the seller doesn't understand the Market and that would be enough to scare me off.
I bet if it was proved to be fake after the sale the seller would claim he was unaware but 'doesn't do returns'

[quote name='geoffbassist' post='755385' date='Feb 23 2010, 07:55 PM']Mmm if you were selling something this expensive it would make sense to have a proper valuation. If u r sure it's real then it's got to be worth the effort. It sounds like the seller doesn't understand the Market and that would be enough to scare me off.
I bet if it was proved to be fake after the sale the seller would claim he was unaware but 'doesn't do returns'[/quote]

I think that's the point I tried to make in my earlier posts - the seller didn't realise exactly what the value was when it was first advertised (offers coming in at £600) and subsequently someone has put them right by giving a truer valuation.

I'm willing to bet it ain't fake.